Santo Domingo opens first hotel-museum, Hotel Beaterio
A new first-of-its-kind hotel-museum has opened open in Santo Domingo, the capital of the Dominican Republic. The Hotel Beaterio is located in the Colonial Zone of the historic city and underwent a large refurbishment project to convert the 16th-century convent into an 11-room hotel for tourists. The former convent once hosted famous guests including poets, Sor Leonor de Ovando and Doña Elvira de Mendoza.
Holidaymakers visiting Santo Domingo can now stay in a former convent that has been transformed into a small hotel. The Hotel Beaterio is a hotel-museum located in the historic capital of the Dominican Republic, which recently opened following an extensive refurbishment project.
Situated in the city’s Colonial Zone and UNESCO World Heritage site, the hotel was a former 16th Century convent that was once home to the renowned New World poets, Sor Leonor de Ovando and Doña Elvira de Mendoza. The 11-room hotel has been carefully restored and modernised, and guests can enjoy air-conditioned rooms and access to internet during their stay. Original features include stone walls, tile floors, and antique musical instruments that decorate the property’s walls.
Located just steps from El Conde Street, Cathedral of Santo Domingo, and Plaza de Espana, tourists can enjoy the area’s ancient cobble alleyways and historic surrounding architecture.
The El Beaterio convent was built in 1530 by order of Diego Columbus and his court to the Spanish kings. According to the hotel’s website:
"El Beaterio hosted the first Dominican women order of America. Thought in a paternalistic mind set to collect girls of all ages, Spanish and mixed race, lost on Earth, it allowed nonetheless, the blooming of a genuine feminist and independent mind set and the emergence of eminent intellectual women."
The hotel’s facilities include a small bar/lounge where breakfast is also served, and a rooftop terrace bar, where guests can soak up the views of Colonial Zone and Parque Duarte.
Santo Domingo is one of the oldest cities in the Caribbean but it has successfully managed to blend the old with the new and is considered by some people one of the region’s most cosmopolitan cities. Divided by the Ozama River, the city boasts Victorian houses, tree-lined streets, upscale hotels, and casinos, as well as historic monuments and attractions such as Columbus's Lighthouse, where the famous explorer's remains are buried, and the open caves of the Parque Nacional Los Tres Ojos.
In the Colonial Zone, tourists will find several examples of 15th and 16th century architecture, including the Iglesia Regina Angelorum and the Convento de los Dominicos. Holidaymakers can visit the Alcázar de Colón museum, Museum of Duarte and the Museo del Ron Dominicano which becomes a rum bar after hours, and there are plenty of cafes and bars that offer a vibrant nightlife. It's a buzzing nation attracting an increasingly large number of holidaymakers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
Enjoy the relaxed vibes of the all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, complete with exclusive extras for couples!
- Enjoy a la carte cuisine in La Gondola, La perla or grills at media luna
- The resort is set in a picturesque location beside a secluded stretch of beach at Punta Cana
- Receive a 10% discount at the hotel spa
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
You'll be instantly rewarded with up to $3,600 resort credit to use towards spa treatments, golf, premium drinks and much more
- Complimentary Tickts available to see Shakira! Call for more details
- Stay for 10 Nights or more and up to 2 kids up to the age of 12 stay free
- Suites feature a double Jacuzzi and fully stocked mini bar including spirits and premium brands
- Choice of 13 swimming pools and 35 spa suites to relax in
- Get up to US$3600 Limitless Resort Credits which can be used towards selected Tours, Golf, Spa, Beauty Salon services, Romantic dinners and much more
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Unwind and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Sea at the all-inclusive Now Larimar Punta Cana, located on the...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Enjoy the best of the Dominican Republic with a holiday at Bayahibe, a resort town choke full of attractions. Beside...
Beautifully located on the Dominican Republic´s lush southeast coast, Casa de Campo is a magnificent eco-friendly...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...