Santo Domingo opens first hotel-museum, Hotel Beaterio
A new first-of-its-kind hotel-museum has opened open in Santo Domingo, the capital of the Dominican Republic. The Hotel Beaterio is located in the Colonial Zone of the historic city and underwent a large refurbishment project to convert the 16th-century convent into an 11-room hotel for tourists. The former convent once hosted famous guests including poets, Sor Leonor de Ovando and Doña Elvira de Mendoza.
Holidaymakers visiting Santo Domingo can now stay in a former convent that has been transformed into a small hotel. The Hotel Beaterio is a hotel-museum located in the historic capital of the Dominican Republic, which recently opened following an extensive refurbishment project.
Situated in the city’s Colonial Zone and UNESCO World Heritage site, the hotel was a former 16th Century convent that was once home to the renowned New World poets, Sor Leonor de Ovando and Doña Elvira de Mendoza. The 11-room hotel has been carefully restored and modernised, and guests can enjoy air-conditioned rooms and access to internet during their stay. Original features include stone walls, tile floors, and antique musical instruments that decorate the property’s walls.
Located just steps from El Conde Street, Cathedral of Santo Domingo, and Plaza de Espana, tourists can enjoy the area’s ancient cobble alleyways and historic surrounding architecture.
The El Beaterio convent was built in 1530 by order of Diego Columbus and his court to the Spanish kings. According to the hotel’s website:
"El Beaterio hosted the first Dominican women order of America. Thought in a paternalistic mind set to collect girls of all ages, Spanish and mixed race, lost on Earth, it allowed nonetheless, the blooming of a genuine feminist and independent mind set and the emergence of eminent intellectual women."
The hotel’s facilities include a small bar/lounge where breakfast is also served, and a rooftop terrace bar, where guests can soak up the views of Colonial Zone and Parque Duarte.
Santo Domingo is one of the oldest cities in the Caribbean but it has successfully managed to blend the old with the new and is considered by some people one of the region’s most cosmopolitan cities. Divided by the Ozama River, the city boasts Victorian houses, tree-lined streets, upscale hotels, and casinos, as well as historic monuments and attractions such as Columbus's Lighthouse, where the famous explorer's remains are buried, and the open caves of the Parque Nacional Los Tres Ojos.
In the Colonial Zone, tourists will find several examples of 15th and 16th century architecture, including the Iglesia Regina Angelorum and the Convento de los Dominicos. Holidaymakers can visit the Alcázar de Colón museum, Museum of Duarte and the Museo del Ron Dominicano which becomes a rum bar after hours, and there are plenty of cafes and bars that offer a vibrant nightlife. It's a buzzing nation attracting an increasingly large number of holidaymakers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
- Free upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Room
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- Enjoy fantastic savings, $200 resort credit per room per stay to spend in the spa, upgraded wine list and on a romantic dinner
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
Live it up and Enjoy a stay at the brand new Now Onyx Punta Cana, perfectly located on a pristine beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Be dined and wined at a selection of no less than nine restaurants.
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Answer the call of the Dominican Republic's third-largest city and plunge into a world of lush tropical jungles and...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...
Spend eight days lazing in the abundant Punta Cana sunshine as you enjoy the best in hospitality that the Dominican...
Don't miss out on the ultimate 8-day Caribbean experience at the all-inclusive Be Live Hamaca in Punta Cana, Dominican...