Retracing grandmother's sea voyage on the Atlantic slave triangle
Selina Thompson, an artist from Leeds, went on a journey earlier this year retracing the steps of the Atlantic slave triangle taken by her grandmother. Travelling by freight from Britain to Ghana to Jamaica, Selina has turned her experience into a show called Salt which has been exhibited in Bristol and will be feature at Stage in Leeds on 29th June as part of Yorkshire festival.
An artist from Leeds has undertaken an exhausting journey across the oceans, retracing the Atlantic slave triangle taken by her grandmother.
Selina Thompson travelled by freight from Britain to Ghana to Jamaica earlier this year. During the journey, Selina endured rough seas and claustrophobia, and customs officers even thought she was a sex worker for the crew on board the ships.
She explained that the purpose of her voyage was to bring to light a story that is often still silenced today, even though the slave trade still exists in some parts of the world. Selina commented:
“The idea of the ocean as a grave can be romanticised: Davey Jones’ locker, the briny deep. But that wasn’t the case in the slave trade. People were disposed of because they were no longer profitable. Women who were pregnant because they had been raped got thrown over the side of a ship.”
The artist visited Jamaica as part of her journey, and her Monserrat-born grandmother took a boat from the West Indies to Britain as part of the post-war immigration in the 50s. Sadly, the day Selina set sail on her voyage, her grandmother died.
While she was in Jamaica, she felt that times had not changed as much as they should have over the decades. During her time in Jamaica, Selina felt as a black tourist, she was not treated the same as the predominantly white tourists, with many thinking she was staff. Despite this, and the fact that it was her first visit to Jamaica, Selina felt familiar on the Caribbean island.
“The things I associate with home are Lovers Rock, certain accents, certain foods eaten in certain ways, a certain pace of doing things. In the UK all of that culture is pocketed away. But when you’re in Jamaica it’s everywhere. If you’ve never experienced that before, that is a crazy ass feeling. But it was sort of haunting too, because so much of that stuff I associate with my Nan.”
Selina’s experience has been portrayed through an installation called “Salt” - a part performance art, part theatre, and part historical retelling exhibition at the Arnolfini in Bristol on 12th 13th, 18th, and 19th May, 2016, and the Stage in Leeds on 29th June, 2016 as part of the Yorkshire Festival.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Resort is surrounded by Montego Bay Marine Park, an underwater national park with protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Huge Savings when staying in Sun Club Rooms and Junior Suites
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage with a variety of restaurants plus 24-hour Room Service
- One child under 12 stays FREE and kids will enjoy access to the expansive and renowned Explorer's Club
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Club Ambience is set on the shoreline in Runaway Bay, a small town in the parish of St Ann on the north coast of...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...