Cancun included again in TripAdvisor's Top 10 destinations
TripAdvisor has revealed that the most popular destinations this summer for American travellers are Las Vegas and Cancun. The travel planning website found that 88 per cent of U.S travellers are planning to take a summer holiday over the next few months, and the tropical region of Cancun in Mexico came second in the list of Top 10 favourite places.
Cancun has emerged as one of the top hotspots for American travellers this summer, according to TripAdvisor. The travel planning website revealed its list of top 10 summer destinations, and Cancun was ranked in second place.
The website’s search and booking data revealed that 88 per cent of Americans are planning to take a holiday this summer and the top three destinations included Las Vegas at the top, followed by Cancun in Mexico and Orlando in second and third place respectively.
TripAdvisor compiled the list below that shows the average cost of a week-long holiday including flights, meals, tours and accommodation:
- Las Vegas
- Cancun, Mexico
- Orlando, Florida
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- New York City
- Destin, Florida
- Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Cancun is a leading tourist destination for Americans due to its close proximity to the U.S. Situated in southeast Mexico on the Yucatan Peninsula, the region is a hotspot for college spring breakers.
In 1970, Cancun was an uninhabited area full of untouched beaches and mangroves, but in the last four decades, the region has become a thriving destination for sun-seekers, foodies, and nature-lovers. The region has been named in the World Travel Awards as Mexico’s Leading Beach Destination, and a third terminal is under construction at Cancun International Airport to meet the demand of holidaymakers.
In 2015, more than five million international travellers visited Cancun, and business visitors were up by 20 per cent. The tropical destination is bursting with natural landscapes including soft white sandy beaches, tropical jungles and aquamarine lagoons that are teeming with diverse marine species.
Attractions in Cancun are plentiful and holidaymakers can explore the underwater world with scuba diving and snorkelling activities and visit the stunning underwater museum in the National Marine Park of Isla Mujeres that was created by British artist, Jason deCaires Taylor.
Ecotourism is big in Cancun, and tourists can learn about the wildlife and ancient Mayan culture at Xcaret Park, or enjoy fun water activities at the Xel-Ha park natural aquarium. Cancun hosts a number of festivals and events every year including the Cancun Food and Wine Festival, Oasis U Jazz Festival, Inception Music Festival, Day of the Dead Festival, and Cancun Banamex Triathlon.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Enjoy fantastic discounts when travelling with kids
- Enjoy fantastic discounts when travelling with kids
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Go for the Unlimited-Luxury Experience at one of Mexico's most coveted all-inclusive resorts
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
A picturesque city on Mexico's Caribbean Sea coastline, Playa del Carmen is the perfect getaway for both families and...