Cancun included again in TripAdvisor's Top 10 destinations
TripAdvisor has revealed that the most popular destinations this summer for American travellers are Las Vegas and Cancun. The travel planning website found that 88 per cent of U.S travellers are planning to take a summer holiday over the next few months, and the tropical region of Cancun in Mexico came second in the list of Top 10 favourite places.
Cancun has emerged as one of the top hotspots for American travellers this summer, according to TripAdvisor. The travel planning website revealed its list of top 10 summer destinations, and Cancun was ranked in second place.
The website’s search and booking data revealed that 88 per cent of Americans are planning to take a holiday this summer and the top three destinations included Las Vegas at the top, followed by Cancun in Mexico and Orlando in second and third place respectively.
TripAdvisor compiled the list below that shows the average cost of a week-long holiday including flights, meals, tours and accommodation:
- Las Vegas
- Cancun, Mexico
- Orlando, Florida
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- New York City
- Destin, Florida
- Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Cancun is a leading tourist destination for Americans due to its close proximity to the U.S. Situated in southeast Mexico on the Yucatan Peninsula, the region is a hotspot for college spring breakers.
In 1970, Cancun was an uninhabited area full of untouched beaches and mangroves, but in the last four decades, the region has become a thriving destination for sun-seekers, foodies, and nature-lovers. The region has been named in the World Travel Awards as Mexico’s Leading Beach Destination, and a third terminal is under construction at Cancun International Airport to meet the demand of holidaymakers.
In 2015, more than five million international travellers visited Cancun, and business visitors were up by 20 per cent. The tropical destination is bursting with natural landscapes including soft white sandy beaches, tropical jungles and aquamarine lagoons that are teeming with diverse marine species.
Attractions in Cancun are plentiful and holidaymakers can explore the underwater world with scuba diving and snorkelling activities and visit the stunning underwater museum in the National Marine Park of Isla Mujeres that was created by British artist, Jason deCaires Taylor.
Ecotourism is big in Cancun, and tourists can learn about the wildlife and ancient Mayan culture at Xcaret Park, or enjoy fun water activities at the Xel-Ha park natural aquarium. Cancun hosts a number of festivals and events every year including the Cancun Food and Wine Festival, Oasis U Jazz Festival, Inception Music Festival, Day of the Dead Festival, and Cancun Banamex Triathlon.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Enjoy fantastic discounts when travelling with kids
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Deluxe Ocean View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Cancun is one of the most sought-after beachside resorts in the world. Make this your next holiday destination and revel...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...