Cancun included again in TripAdvisor's Top 10 destinations
TripAdvisor has revealed that the most popular destinations this summer for American travellers are Las Vegas and Cancun. The travel planning website found that 88 per cent of U.S travellers are planning to take a summer holiday over the next few months, and the tropical region of Cancun in Mexico came second in the list of Top 10 favourite places.
Cancun has emerged as one of the top hotspots for American travellers this summer, according to TripAdvisor. The travel planning website revealed its list of top 10 summer destinations, and Cancun was ranked in second place.
The website’s search and booking data revealed that 88 per cent of Americans are planning to take a holiday this summer and the top three destinations included Las Vegas at the top, followed by Cancun in Mexico and Orlando in second and third place respectively.
TripAdvisor compiled the list below that shows the average cost of a week-long holiday including flights, meals, tours and accommodation:
- Las Vegas
- Cancun, Mexico
- Orlando, Florida
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- New York City
- Destin, Florida
- Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Cancun is a leading tourist destination for Americans due to its close proximity to the U.S. Situated in southeast Mexico on the Yucatan Peninsula, the region is a hotspot for college spring breakers.
In 1970, Cancun was an uninhabited area full of untouched beaches and mangroves, but in the last four decades, the region has become a thriving destination for sun-seekers, foodies, and nature-lovers. The region has been named in the World Travel Awards as Mexico’s Leading Beach Destination, and a third terminal is under construction at Cancun International Airport to meet the demand of holidaymakers.
In 2015, more than five million international travellers visited Cancun, and business visitors were up by 20 per cent. The tropical destination is bursting with natural landscapes including soft white sandy beaches, tropical jungles and aquamarine lagoons that are teeming with diverse marine species.
Attractions in Cancun are plentiful and holidaymakers can explore the underwater world with scuba diving and snorkelling activities and visit the stunning underwater museum in the National Marine Park of Isla Mujeres that was created by British artist, Jason deCaires Taylor.
Ecotourism is big in Cancun, and tourists can learn about the wildlife and ancient Mayan culture at Xcaret Park, or enjoy fun water activities at the Xel-Ha park natural aquarium. Cancun hosts a number of festivals and events every year including the Cancun Food and Wine Festival, Oasis U Jazz Festival, Inception Music Festival, Day of the Dead Festival, and Cancun Banamex Triathlon.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- Adults only resort just 20 minutes from the airport and the nightlife of Cancun 15 miles away
- Enjoy one of the various treatments on offer at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...