Cancun included again in TripAdvisor's Top 10 destinations
TripAdvisor has revealed that the most popular destinations this summer for American travellers are Las Vegas and Cancun. The travel planning website found that 88 per cent of U.S travellers are planning to take a summer holiday over the next few months, and the tropical region of Cancun in Mexico came second in the list of Top 10 favourite places.
Cancun has emerged as one of the top hotspots for American travellers this summer, according to TripAdvisor. The travel planning website revealed its list of top 10 summer destinations, and Cancun was ranked in second place.
The website’s search and booking data revealed that 88 per cent of Americans are planning to take a holiday this summer and the top three destinations included Las Vegas at the top, followed by Cancun in Mexico and Orlando in second and third place respectively.
TripAdvisor compiled the list below that shows the average cost of a week-long holiday including flights, meals, tours and accommodation:
- Las Vegas
- Cancun, Mexico
- Orlando, Florida
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- New York City
- Destin, Florida
- Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Cancun is a leading tourist destination for Americans due to its close proximity to the U.S. Situated in southeast Mexico on the Yucatan Peninsula, the region is a hotspot for college spring breakers.
In 1970, Cancun was an uninhabited area full of untouched beaches and mangroves, but in the last four decades, the region has become a thriving destination for sun-seekers, foodies, and nature-lovers. The region has been named in the World Travel Awards as Mexico’s Leading Beach Destination, and a third terminal is under construction at Cancun International Airport to meet the demand of holidaymakers.
In 2015, more than five million international travellers visited Cancun, and business visitors were up by 20 per cent. The tropical destination is bursting with natural landscapes including soft white sandy beaches, tropical jungles and aquamarine lagoons that are teeming with diverse marine species.
Attractions in Cancun are plentiful and holidaymakers can explore the underwater world with scuba diving and snorkelling activities and visit the stunning underwater museum in the National Marine Park of Isla Mujeres that was created by British artist, Jason deCaires Taylor.
Ecotourism is big in Cancun, and tourists can learn about the wildlife and ancient Mayan culture at Xcaret Park, or enjoy fun water activities at the Xel-Ha park natural aquarium. Cancun hosts a number of festivals and events every year including the Cancun Food and Wine Festival, Oasis U Jazz Festival, Inception Music Festival, Day of the Dead Festival, and Cancun Banamex Triathlon.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Under 17's Stay, Play and Eat free at this magnificent resort sure to make for a holiday of a lifetime
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge worth $1400
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...