Anantara opens Aquafanatics, the first free diving centre in the Maldives
Anantara has announced the opening of Aquafanatics, the first PADI-certified free diving centre in the Maldives. The centre will be accessible for guests staying at the Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort, Anantara Veli Maldives Resort and Naladhu Maldives, and will offer a wide range of water sports including scuba diving, surfing, deep-sea fishing and sailing.
The Maldives is a renowned scuba diving destination dude to its turquoise, warm, ocean and plethora of colourful corals and marine species. The Indian Ocean island nation is now home to a PADI-certified free diving centre, after Anantara opened the new Aquafanatics.
The centre is available to guests staying at Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort, Anantara Veli Maldives Resort and Naladhu Maldives, and there are plenty of water sports to enjoy aside from free diving, including sailing, deep-sea fishing, surfing, snorkelling and scuba diving.
For holidaymakers seeking a unique underwater experience, free diving is carried out without the use of heavy oxygen tanks and equipment and relies on the control of divers holding their breath during the dive.
The activity allows divers to freely move underwater with no oxygen tank bubbles so they can enjoy clearer views of the underwater world. With practice, divers can hold their breath a little longer with each dive, allowing them to explore the vibrant marine species and coral reefs surrounding them.
Free diving has been part of the Maldives’ culture and heritage for centuries, and the ancient activity has been used by locals to harvest sponges and pearls.Mari Kagaya, the professional free diving instructor at Aquafanatics, explained:
“The Maldives provide the pinnacle in free diving adventure. Escaping the trappings of scuba gear, our encounters with sea life are graceful, natural and deeply personal. Guests discover their own hidden depths, not only of their body, but also the mind.”
The Japanese diver qualified as an instructor in Honduras in 2002, and during her lessons, Mari guides Anantara guests through the theory of free diving, and teaches them to focus on breathing and conserving energy during the dive.
The Maldives is a breathtaking archipelago country in the Indian Ocean that is made up of nearly 1,200 stunning coral islands, of which only 200 are inhabited. The azure ocean is home to an abundance of magnificent marine creatures such as manta rays, turtles, eagle rays, and schools of vivid, tropical fish. Divers can float above delicate reefs and thriving sea gardens, or head down to explore underwater caves, sea walls, and sunken shipwrecks.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
Relax and unwind on Paradise Island before picking up the pace in glamorous Dubai enjoy the Duty free shopping
- Take a dip in the turquoise lagoon or the onsite pool, go snorkelling and windsurfing or opt for land sports recreation
- Your Dubai abode sits close to the Mall of the Emirates and a short ride to the famous Jumeirah Beach
- Paradise Island accommodation are Bungalows with direct access to the beach or Water Bungalows with private sun terrace
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
True Maldivian style comes to the fore at Reethi Beach Resort, situated on the tiny Baa Atoll. The PADI 5-star Dive...
Get away from the mundane and enjoy eight days of uninterrupted sun and sand on the shores of one of the most sought...