Anantara opens Aquafanatics, the first free diving centre in the Maldives
Anantara has announced the opening of Aquafanatics, the first PADI-certified free diving centre in the Maldives. The centre will be accessible for guests staying at the Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort, Anantara Veli Maldives Resort and Naladhu Maldives, and will offer a wide range of water sports including scuba diving, surfing, deep-sea fishing and sailing.
The Maldives is a renowned scuba diving destination dude to its turquoise, warm, ocean and plethora of colourful corals and marine species. The Indian Ocean island nation is now home to a PADI-certified free diving centre, after Anantara opened the new Aquafanatics.
The centre is available to guests staying at Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort, Anantara Veli Maldives Resort and Naladhu Maldives, and there are plenty of water sports to enjoy aside from free diving, including sailing, deep-sea fishing, surfing, snorkelling and scuba diving.
For holidaymakers seeking a unique underwater experience, free diving is carried out without the use of heavy oxygen tanks and equipment and relies on the control of divers holding their breath during the dive.
The activity allows divers to freely move underwater with no oxygen tank bubbles so they can enjoy clearer views of the underwater world. With practice, divers can hold their breath a little longer with each dive, allowing them to explore the vibrant marine species and coral reefs surrounding them.
Free diving has been part of the Maldives’ culture and heritage for centuries, and the ancient activity has been used by locals to harvest sponges and pearls.Mari Kagaya, the professional free diving instructor at Aquafanatics, explained:
“The Maldives provide the pinnacle in free diving adventure. Escaping the trappings of scuba gear, our encounters with sea life are graceful, natural and deeply personal. Guests discover their own hidden depths, not only of their body, but also the mind.”
The Japanese diver qualified as an instructor in Honduras in 2002, and during her lessons, Mari guides Anantara guests through the theory of free diving, and teaches them to focus on breathing and conserving energy during the dive.
The Maldives is a breathtaking archipelago country in the Indian Ocean that is made up of nearly 1,200 stunning coral islands, of which only 200 are inhabited. The azure ocean is home to an abundance of magnificent marine creatures such as manta rays, turtles, eagle rays, and schools of vivid, tropical fish. Divers can float above delicate reefs and thriving sea gardens, or head down to explore underwater caves, sea walls, and sunken shipwrecks.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
See what the Maldives really has to offer at Velassaru Maldives, with a great array of excursions.
- Fantastic selection of excursions from night snorkelling to fishing to a trip to Male to having an island all to yourself!
- As well as chilling on the beach or visiting the Spa, why not go an practice the ancient art of Yoga?
- Five wonderful dining venues and two exciting bars means you have a range of options depending on what mood you are in
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Get away from the mundane and enjoy eight days of uninterrupted sun and sand on the shores of one of the most sought...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....
Let all concerns leave your mind while you spend 8 days of peace and relaxation at the Royal Island hotel in the...