IBEROSTAR Cancun resort awarded Green Globe Certification for third year
IBEROSTAR Cancun Golf & Spa Resort in Mexico has received Green Globe certification for its efforts in conserving wildlife and implementing sustainable practices. The luxury resort was awarded for the third year in a row and it scored 85 per cent in the audit that looks at the property's eco-friendly practices, environmental initiatives, and community projects.
Green Globe has awarded certification to IBEROSTAR Cancun Golf and Spa Resort in Mexico for the third year in a row.
The resort in Cancun scored an impressive 85 per cent in the audit that was recently carried out by Green Globe, which bases its decision on the property’s sustainable practices, environmental initiatives, and eco-friendly efforts.
Gaspar Antonio Chan Itza, the Environmental Manager at IBEROSTAR Cancun, explained:
“At IBEROSTAR Cancun Golf & Spa Resort, our commitment to the environment is one of our main goals each year. We strive to be better every day during our daily work, knowing that even the smallest detail is important from separating and throwing garbage into its corresponding bin, to supporting our community or using local products and services. We can all contribute to sustainability.”
The all-inclusive resort was awarded for its waste management plan which includes working closely with local authorities and waste disposal companies, running courses for hotel staff to educate them on waste reduction, and encouraging guests to recycle during their stay.
Community activities are supported by IBEROSTAR Cancun, and the hotel donates towels, clothes and equipment to charities and people in need across Cancun. Every year, the hotel takes part in Earth Hour, and guests are encouraged to reuse towels and linen.
In addittion, turtle conservation is an ongoing project at the resort, and staff are committed to protecting the native sea turtles with its Conservation and Protection of the Sea Turtle programme. Tourists are invited to participate, as are the hotel’s business partners who attend Department of Ecology-run courses at the resort to find out how they can help protect the marine species.
Turtle nesting season is between May and October and IBEROSTAR Cancun has implemented practices that protect the White Turtles when they come onto the beach to lay their eggs, during the 60-day nesting, and when the new hatchlings make their way to the sea.
If that's not enough, the lights are turned off in restaurants after 11pm, and guests and staff are encouraged not to use their camera flashes so the turtles are not disturbed. In 2015, the resort celebrated the success of helping to return more than 9,600 baby turtles to the sea, more than twice the number in 2014.
IBEROSTAR Cancun Golf and Spa Resort is located on a beautiful beach and has 426 guest rooms and villas, including a presidential suite, two villa beach suites, four master suites and 16 junior suites. Facilities at the resort include seven infinity swimming pools, a gym and beauty salon, a lavish spa, two tennis courts, a professional football field, and an 18-hole golf course.
IBEROSTAR Hotels operates luxury hotels across the Caribbean and Mexico that range from the adults-only “Grand Collection”, to couple and family-friendly “Premium Gold,” and “Premium Category” properties.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all inclusive luxury 24 Hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Unlimited-Luxury with gourmet dining and premium beverages in a choice of six reservation-free restaurants and five stylish bars
- Enjoy endless activities - from kayaking to snorkelling, windsurfing and much more
- Pamper yourself with innovative treatments at the Now Spa by Pevonia
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...