Flight travellers could soon sell their unused luggage space through two new apps
Two new mobile apps have been launched that allow passengers to sell their unused luggage space to others. The apps from Airmule and Grabr let travellers match their itineraries to customers who are looking to ship goods in a cost-effective way, and enable travellers to make money at the same time. Both shipper and passengers must be verified and have a rating system to rank their reliability.
Passengers could soon be making money out of their unused luggage allowance during flights, thanks to two new apps that have been launched. Airmule and Grabr allow passengers to match their forthcoming journeys with customers who are looking to ship products overseas in a more affordable way.
Security must come first with app users and both parties are verified and are part of a rating system that ranks their reliability. The Airmule app allows passengers to post details of their open space in their luggage allocations and shipping customers will then pay for each pound of luggage they require.
Grabr lets customers post specific items such as a pair of shoes and focuses on travellers pitching for the product that will then be delivered by hand. Grant Martin, author of the article about the apps for Forbes, explained how passengers can make money from the services. Mr Martin wrote:
“One traveling from New York to London with a 50 lb allocation over three checked bags, for example, could post 150 lbs of shipping available at $4 per lb, generating a potential income of $600. In both cases, traveller and shipper need to coordinate the property exchange.”
Both apps have their pro and cons. While passengers can make money from the service, and customers get a more affordable way to transport their goods, airline security issues are still a concern.
Many travellers are not comfortable with shipping unfamiliar items, but Grabr says that with their service it’s up to the passengers to purchase the items and package them, and passengers can also state they will only transport certain types of goods, i.e. clothes, shoes. Airmule, on the other hand, says customers/ senders must upload photos of their items and provide a paper trail for the whole transaction.
While airlines have yet to comment on if they will be supporting the service, a spokesperson form the U.S Transportation Security Agency confirmed that the agency is reviewing the applications. Just like car sharing services and personal holiday rentals like Air BnB, where an element of trust in involved, the luggage apps are likely to be supported by third parties to ensure that security comes first.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...