Flight travellers could soon sell their unused luggage space through two new apps
Two new mobile apps have been launched that allow passengers to sell their unused luggage space to others. The apps from Airmule and Grabr let travellers match their itineraries to customers who are looking to ship goods in a cost-effective way, and enable travellers to make money at the same time. Both shipper and passengers must be verified and have a rating system to rank their reliability.
Passengers could soon be making money out of their unused luggage allowance during flights, thanks to two new apps that have been launched. Airmule and Grabr allow passengers to match their forthcoming journeys with customers who are looking to ship products overseas in a more affordable way.
Security must come first with app users and both parties are verified and are part of a rating system that ranks their reliability. The Airmule app allows passengers to post details of their open space in their luggage allocations and shipping customers will then pay for each pound of luggage they require.
Grabr lets customers post specific items such as a pair of shoes and focuses on travellers pitching for the product that will then be delivered by hand. Grant Martin, author of the article about the apps for Forbes, explained how passengers can make money from the services. Mr Martin wrote:
“One traveling from New York to London with a 50 lb allocation over three checked bags, for example, could post 150 lbs of shipping available at $4 per lb, generating a potential income of $600. In both cases, traveller and shipper need to coordinate the property exchange.”
Both apps have their pro and cons. While passengers can make money from the service, and customers get a more affordable way to transport their goods, airline security issues are still a concern.
Many travellers are not comfortable with shipping unfamiliar items, but Grabr says that with their service it’s up to the passengers to purchase the items and package them, and passengers can also state they will only transport certain types of goods, i.e. clothes, shoes. Airmule, on the other hand, says customers/ senders must upload photos of their items and provide a paper trail for the whole transaction.
While airlines have yet to comment on if they will be supporting the service, a spokesperson form the U.S Transportation Security Agency confirmed that the agency is reviewing the applications. Just like car sharing services and personal holiday rentals like Air BnB, where an element of trust in involved, the luggage apps are likely to be supported by third parties to ensure that security comes first.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...