Flight travellers could soon sell their unused luggage space through two new apps
Two new mobile apps have been launched that allow passengers to sell their unused luggage space to others. The apps from Airmule and Grabr let travellers match their itineraries to customers who are looking to ship goods in a cost-effective way, and enable travellers to make money at the same time. Both shipper and passengers must be verified and have a rating system to rank their reliability.
Passengers could soon be making money out of their unused luggage allowance during flights, thanks to two new apps that have been launched. Airmule and Grabr allow passengers to match their forthcoming journeys with customers who are looking to ship products overseas in a more affordable way.
Security must come first with app users and both parties are verified and are part of a rating system that ranks their reliability. The Airmule app allows passengers to post details of their open space in their luggage allocations and shipping customers will then pay for each pound of luggage they require.
Grabr lets customers post specific items such as a pair of shoes and focuses on travellers pitching for the product that will then be delivered by hand. Grant Martin, author of the article about the apps for Forbes, explained how passengers can make money from the services. Mr Martin wrote:
“One traveling from New York to London with a 50 lb allocation over three checked bags, for example, could post 150 lbs of shipping available at $4 per lb, generating a potential income of $600. In both cases, traveller and shipper need to coordinate the property exchange.”
Both apps have their pro and cons. While passengers can make money from the service, and customers get a more affordable way to transport their goods, airline security issues are still a concern.
Many travellers are not comfortable with shipping unfamiliar items, but Grabr says that with their service it’s up to the passengers to purchase the items and package them, and passengers can also state they will only transport certain types of goods, i.e. clothes, shoes. Airmule, on the other hand, says customers/ senders must upload photos of their items and provide a paper trail for the whole transaction.
While airlines have yet to comment on if they will be supporting the service, a spokesperson form the U.S Transportation Security Agency confirmed that the agency is reviewing the applications. Just like car sharing services and personal holiday rentals like Air BnB, where an element of trust in involved, the luggage apps are likely to be supported by third parties to ensure that security comes first.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Come to the Caribbean and take a break from everyday life, as you enjoy 8 days of entertainment at the Grafton Beach...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...