Four unbelievable South African hotels
While some hotels may just be four walls and a bed, not all accommodation was created equal. True, when you travel your place of lodging is often just a base from which you can explore your chosen destination, but every now and then you'll find a venue that feels like a holiday itself. In this article, we'll look at four of the most unique and luxurious places to stay if you're visiting South Africa.
They say that home is where the heart is – and although South Africa is a wonderful destination for intrepid travellers to explore, there’s nothing quite like coming back to five-star luxury hotel every night.
With some of the most awe-inspiring accommodation in the world, there are a wealth of options in the country for visitors looking for a hotel that’s more than just a place to sleep; so whether you’re after big game safari or high tea, you’ll certainly find something to suit your needs in South Africa.
Four unbelievable South African hotels
Belmond Mount Nelson, Cape Town
The grand old man of hotels in Cape Town, the Belford Mount Nelson is something of an institution in South Africa. Not only does the property’s famous pink exterior provide a striking fusion of colonial design and modern implementation, but inside, the lavish dining room hosts what has been voted the world’s best high tea. Offering a jaw-dropping selection of daintily cut sandwiches and sweet treats, the hotel’s critically acclaimed buffet also features sparkling wine and premium teas.
Oyster Box Hotel, Umhlanga, Durban
Set on a beach in the north of Durban, the Oyster Box Hotel boasts a stunning view of the city’s skyline – which is ironic, as from the confines of its luxury sea-facing rooms, pools and relaxation rooms, Durban’s centre is probably the last place you’ll want to go! Indeed, the Oyster Box Hotel is such an oasis of tranquillity that the property’s spa has been voted the best in Africa and features its own product line, making it the perfect place to unwind away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
Tintswalo Safari Lodge and Manor House, Manyeleti Game Reserve
If you’re after a hotel that combines luxury amenities with a touch of adventure, why not check out the Tintswalo Safari Lodge and Manor House in South Africa’s Mpumalanga Province? Featuring five-star luxury delivered in the form of an opulent home setting and warm, personal service, Tintswalo is also set in an area packed with wildlife. As such, visitors can enjoy early morning game rides with the lodge’s experienced rangers before retiring to enjoy delicious communal dinners back at the house.
Blue Train, Cape Town to Pretoria and Back
Admittedly a slightly off-piste choice given it’s not actually in any one place for long, the Blue Train is nevertheless one of the most luxurious places to stay while exploring South Africa. Offering personalised five-star service from its painstakingly restored bars and buffet cars (with food and drink included for the ticket price), the train takes in the historic frontier towns of Kimberly and Maitjiesfontein while also providing beautifully-decorated communal areas and comfortable cabins.
Thinking on visiting yet?
Hopefully, having now looked at some of the best places to stay in South Africa, you’ll have a much better idea of which of these four top hotels suits your specific needs. Remember, however, that whether you’re looking for relaxation rooms or restored train carriages, there is something in the country to cater for your every desire.
These four properties are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to exploring everything that this top-of-the-range travel destination has to offer, so be sure to read up further before you travel and find even more unique accommodation on our site.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In South Africa Browse all
Go for the experience of lifetime on this self-driven Kruger route - a classical tour that offers something for everyone with magical views along the way.
- The package includes accommodation in carefully selected 4* properties, meals as well as car hire including a GPS during your entire journey
- The tour is 7 nights and 8 days long with insights into the history of South Africa, cultural diversity, adventure, scenic beauty and unforgettable safaris
- Enjoy 4 game drives including morning and afternoon safaris to see elephants, leopards, lions, rhinos, cheetahs, hippos and many more animals
Best of Cape Town, Garden Route & Safari tour is your perfect choice to find out about the country, its history and culture.
- Your journey includes 3 exciting game drives to spot Africa's "Big Five": lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros
- Highlights includes: Cape Town Garden Route seeing the Cango Caves and the Swartberg Mountain, safari game drives, The Winelands, Monkeyland, Knysna Forest and more
- Excellent services included in the tour: 10 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver option
Relaxing and unforgetable experince with 11 nights tour including an excellent range of facilities
- Experience the fruitful lifestyle of the Cape Region
- Discover the spectacular landscapes of the Kruger region
- Travel to Karongwe Private Game Reserve to get exclusive access, day and night, to a wide range of animals including the "Big Five"
Dive into an awe-inspiring South Africa and Mauritius package
- Free Wi-Fi connection at lobby, restaurant & bar in Mauritius
- Walk along jacaranda-lined streets and savour all the sights and sounds from the Voortrekker Monument to the Union Buildings
- Visit to a Centre for Endangered Species allowing visitors the opportunity to view and interact with a variety of rare, vulnerable or endangered animals
Tour Summary South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
Nestled upon the St Lucia Estuary, the elephant lake hotel is surrounded by natural beauty and offers a thrilling array...
Sprinkled alongside the tranquil waterways of the picturesque V&A Waterfront Marina, The waterfront village boasts a...
Surrounded by more than 8,000 hectares of malaria free, unspoiled African bushveld, the affordable, laidback and...