Shangri-La to open its first hotel in Sri Lanka this summer
Shangri-La has announced it will open a brand new hotel in Sri Lanka in June. The Hambantota Resort & Spa will have 300 guest rooms and suites, as well as an array of upscale facilities including Shangri-La's Golf and Country Club and 18-hole golf course, kid's and teen club, CHI the Spa, a health club, and several gourmet restaurants.
Shangri-La will make its debut in Sri Lanka this summer with the opening of the brand new Hambantota Resort & Spa on 1st June, 2016.
The luxury hotel is located on Sittrakala Estate, Chithragala on the south coast of Sri Lanka, and has 300 guest rooms including include 26 spacious suites with private butler service. The beachfront resort spans 145 acres and boasts a wide range of upscale facilities including an artisan village, an 18-hole golf course, and a spa.
“Sri Lanka is one of the fastest-growing destinations in the Indian Ocean and a beautiful country with incredible natural attractions, wonderful people and more than 2,000 years of culture.We are delighted to be opening the first international luxury resort in Hambantota and look forward to bringing Shangri-La’s hallmark hospitality from the heart to this exciting destination” stated Greg Dogan, the President and CEO of Shangri-La.
Guests will be greeted at Colombo International Airport and they will enjoy a private luxury coach transfer that seats up to 25 people, and comes with cold towels, snacks and refreshment during the journey. In “The Village”, guests can interact with and discover the works of local artists and craftsmen in traditional working huts where they sell their items.
At night, the venue turns into an entertainment venue and showcase the rich culture and heritage of Sri Lanka through music and dance performances of Angampora, Sri Lanka’s indigenous martial art. Sports enthusiasts can enjoy the resort’s Golf and Country Club and its eco-friendly 18-hole, par-70 golf course, designed by Rodney Wright.
The coconut palm-lined course boasts three zones including the Sapphire Mine with water features and open space, and the Dune Area with beautiful sea views. Little guests will find plenty of fun activities at the “Cool Zone” Kids Club with its seven-metre-high trapeze, a drone-flying area and wide range of supervised activities.
Guests can take day trips to the nearby Humanaya blow holes, a picturesque turtle beach, traditional fishing villages, or the Bandagiriya Temple that dates back to the 2nd Century.
Dining outlets at the luxury resort include Bojun Hala, with a buffet of international and Sri Lankan specialities; Sera, that has been inspired by the hawker-style stalls of Southeast Asia; and the Beach Grill with a fire pit. The Giman Hala and The 19th Hole Bar and Lounge both provide a relaxing setting to unwind with drinks and refreshments.
Additional facilities include the CHI The Spa at Shangri-La with 12 treatment rooms and outdoor pavilions, a Health Club with state-of-the-art fitness equipment, a scuba diving centre, a 30-metre swimming pool, freeform pool, tennis court, shops, and 2,525 square metres of meeting and events space.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Surround yourself with ancient ruins and futuristic skyscrapers with a holiday to Sri Lanka and Dubai.
Combine the historical and cultural journey of a lifetime, with a stopover in one of the most futuristic and flashy cities in the world.
- A visit to one of the world’s most futuristic, indulgent and snazzy cities in the world – Dubai.
- Discover lush nature reserves, amazing temples, ancient ruins, Heritage sites and an overwhelming culture with a tour of one of the most intriguing and enchanting destinations in the world – Sri Lanka.
- Luxurious 4 & 5 star accommodation throughout the holiday.
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....