Costa Rica records most successful year yet for tourism in 2015
Costa Rica celebrated a record year last year for inbound tourism, with a nine per cent increase in revenue generated from tourism. International visitor arrivals to the Latin American country also broke records with a total of 2,665,608 travellers in 2015, which was a 5.5 per cent increase compared to the year before.
Costa Rica’s tourism industry has recorded its most successful thriving year with visitor numbers for 2015 up by 5.5 per cent compared to 2014. Inbound tourism in Costa Rica increased by nine per cent and the number of international travellers reached 2,665,608 in 2015.
The number of UK travellers increased by a significant 20.1 per cent in 2015, totalling 49,499 and the highest rise of all European markets. Visitors arriving by air to the Latin American country increased by eight per cent with a total of 1,858,965 last year, and the Costa Rica Tourism Board expects numbers to increase even more in 2016 after the launch of new flights from British Airways launching in April.
The flights will run between London Gatwick Airport and San Jose International Airport in Costa Rica. Launching on 27th April, 2016, the new service will be operated on Boeing 777 aircraft, twice a week during summer months and three times a week in the winter.
“Last year represented an exceptional year for Costa Rica’s tourism industry with figures exceeding records from all previous years and we expect to see continued growth in 2016, particularly from the UK...The new direct flight from BA is a fantastic opportunity for Costa Rica and demonstrates the airline’s confidence in our country as an exciting, thriving tourist destination with much to offer the British tourist”, explained Mauricio Ventura, the Minister of Tourism for Costa Rica.
Costa Rica translates to “rich coast” and the country is home to some of the world's most breathtaking natural scenery made up of lush rainforests, volcanoes, majestic mountains, unspoilt beaches, and cascading waterfalls.
The nation in Latin America has gained a reputation as destination for green holidays and fun eco adventures, and tourists can enjoy an array of adrenalin-pumping activities such as adventurous activities such as trekking, surfing, scuba diving, climbing, rafting, kayaking, mountain biking and horse riding.
One of the most popular regions is Guanacaste which boasts an array of pristine white sand beaches and the thriving Rincon de la Vieja National Park which boasts beautiful cascading waterfalls and a variety of wildlife species such as monkeys, sloths, tapirs, wild cats and hundreds of colourful birds.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco -tourist dream destination
- This unique experience of canopy walkways allows you to experience the virgin cloud forest treetops. Through a bridge system you can marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
Surrounding the resort is an up-and-coming surf community, which offers guests with a variety of exciting tours and excursions
- Book in any Preferred Club Room and receive the Free to Explore package including a Nicaragua Tour and Much more
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury, where everything is included such as: gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more
- Both kids and teens can mingle at our Explorers Club for kids and Core Zone for teens, while adults can relax by the poolside, enjoy a romantic dinner by the beach or unwind at Dreams Spa by Pevonia.
- Perfect location to enjoy nature at its finest
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing.
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...