Costa Rica records most successful year yet for tourism in 2015
Costa Rica celebrated a record year last year for inbound tourism, with a nine per cent increase in revenue generated from tourism. International visitor arrivals to the Latin American country also broke records with a total of 2,665,608 travellers in 2015, which was a 5.5 per cent increase compared to the year before.
Costa Rica’s tourism industry has recorded its most successful thriving year with visitor numbers for 2015 up by 5.5 per cent compared to 2014. Inbound tourism in Costa Rica increased by nine per cent and the number of international travellers reached 2,665,608 in 2015.
The number of UK travellers increased by a significant 20.1 per cent in 2015, totalling 49,499 and the highest rise of all European markets. Visitors arriving by air to the Latin American country increased by eight per cent with a total of 1,858,965 last year, and the Costa Rica Tourism Board expects numbers to increase even more in 2016 after the launch of new flights from British Airways launching in April.
The flights will run between London Gatwick Airport and San Jose International Airport in Costa Rica. Launching on 27th April, 2016, the new service will be operated on Boeing 777 aircraft, twice a week during summer months and three times a week in the winter.
“Last year represented an exceptional year for Costa Rica’s tourism industry with figures exceeding records from all previous years and we expect to see continued growth in 2016, particularly from the UK...The new direct flight from BA is a fantastic opportunity for Costa Rica and demonstrates the airline’s confidence in our country as an exciting, thriving tourist destination with much to offer the British tourist”, explained Mauricio Ventura, the Minister of Tourism for Costa Rica.
Costa Rica translates to “rich coast” and the country is home to some of the world's most breathtaking natural scenery made up of lush rainforests, volcanoes, majestic mountains, unspoilt beaches, and cascading waterfalls.
The nation in Latin America has gained a reputation as destination for green holidays and fun eco adventures, and tourists can enjoy an array of adrenalin-pumping activities such as adventurous activities such as trekking, surfing, scuba diving, climbing, rafting, kayaking, mountain biking and horse riding.
One of the most popular regions is Guanacaste which boasts an array of pristine white sand beaches and the thriving Rincon de la Vieja National Park which boasts beautiful cascading waterfalls and a variety of wildlife species such as monkeys, sloths, tapirs, wild cats and hundreds of colourful birds.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco-tourist's dream destination
- Experience canopy walkways through a bridge system and marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- Explore San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Learn more about Costa Rica with the unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
Surrounding the resort is an up-and-coming surf community, which offers guests with a variety of exciting tours and excursions
- Explorer's Club for kids and Core Zone for teens, while adults can relax by the poolside, enjoy a romantic dinner by the beach or unwind at Dreams Spa by Pevonia
- Perfect location to enjoy nature at its finest, a country renowned for its beaches, volcanoes, and biodiversity
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury; gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more all included
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...