Costa Rica records most successful year yet for tourism in 2015
Costa Rica celebrated a record year last year for inbound tourism, with a nine per cent increase in revenue generated from tourism. International visitor arrivals to the Latin American country also broke records with a total of 2,665,608 travellers in 2015, which was a 5.5 per cent increase compared to the year before.
Costa Rica’s tourism industry has recorded its most successful thriving year with visitor numbers for 2015 up by 5.5 per cent compared to 2014. Inbound tourism in Costa Rica increased by nine per cent and the number of international travellers reached 2,665,608 in 2015.
The number of UK travellers increased by a significant 20.1 per cent in 2015, totalling 49,499 and the highest rise of all European markets. Visitors arriving by air to the Latin American country increased by eight per cent with a total of 1,858,965 last year, and the Costa Rica Tourism Board expects numbers to increase even more in 2016 after the launch of new flights from British Airways launching in April.
The flights will run between London Gatwick Airport and San Jose International Airport in Costa Rica. Launching on 27th April, 2016, the new service will be operated on Boeing 777 aircraft, twice a week during summer months and three times a week in the winter.
“Last year represented an exceptional year for Costa Rica’s tourism industry with figures exceeding records from all previous years and we expect to see continued growth in 2016, particularly from the UK...The new direct flight from BA is a fantastic opportunity for Costa Rica and demonstrates the airline’s confidence in our country as an exciting, thriving tourist destination with much to offer the British tourist”, explained Mauricio Ventura, the Minister of Tourism for Costa Rica.
Costa Rica translates to “rich coast” and the country is home to some of the world's most breathtaking natural scenery made up of lush rainforests, volcanoes, majestic mountains, unspoilt beaches, and cascading waterfalls.
The nation in Latin America has gained a reputation as destination for green holidays and fun eco adventures, and tourists can enjoy an array of adrenalin-pumping activities such as adventurous activities such as trekking, surfing, scuba diving, climbing, rafting, kayaking, mountain biking and horse riding.
One of the most popular regions is Guanacaste which boasts an array of pristine white sand beaches and the thriving Rincon de la Vieja National Park which boasts beautiful cascading waterfalls and a variety of wildlife species such as monkeys, sloths, tapirs, wild cats and hundreds of colourful birds.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
- Learn more about Costa Rica with unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore Edit
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
Located on the stunning Papagayo Peninsula in Guanacaste
- After booking a minimum of a 3 night stay in a Preferred Club room, guests will receive a welcome bottle of sparkling wine & fresh fruit, one mimosa breakfast in bed to be booked upon arrival and romantic turndown service one night during stay
- Enjoy activities galore including water aerobics, walks, themed nights, movies, cooking, volleyball, pilates and more.
- Choose between 3 romantic wedding packages, all including wedding cake, sparkling wine toast, honeymoon package, and free anniversary nights.
- Enjoy all-inclusive at an array of a la carte restaurants, or enjoy 24 hour room service.
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Embrace the rich diversity of Costa Rica and open your doors to new experiences as you venture to San Jose for a...
âââCosta Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife -...
Overview Costa Ricans will all agree that the Caribbean side of the country has a culture of its own. Coconut in every...