Tourism Numbers in Dominican Republic increase by 8.5 per cent in January 2016
The Dominican Republic has recorded an increase in visitors through its international airports in January, 2016. The number of tourists who arrived to the Caribbean country in January totalled 456,000, which was an 8.5 per cent increase compared to the same month in 2015. The majority of visitors originated from the United States, Canada, Germany and Great Britain.
The Dominican Republic recorded an 8.5 per cent increase in international travellers during January, 2016.
The Caribbean island nation recorded 456,000 international tourists through its airports in January, with the majority originating from the United States, Canada, Germany and Great Britain.
The total number of U.S travellers increased to 147,000, which is an increase of 8.2 per cent compared to the same month last year.
This was followed by Canada with 115, 000 visitors (9.5 per cent increase), and Germany with 25,000 arrivals (3.4 increase). Great Britain recorded a 4.8 per cent increase, Argentina 26 per cent, Colombia 50 per cent, and Venezuela 69 per cent.
The Dominican Republic is a country situated on the tropical island of Hispaniola located in the Caribbean Sea. The country occupies the eastern two thirds of the island, and the remaining third belongs to the nation of Haiti.
The country was discovered by explorer Christopher Columbus in 1492, and it has since become a popular tourist destination with more than hundreds of thousands of British tourists visiting a year.
Home to the world’s first Whale Sanctuary, the nation is a leader in eco-tourism and there are established protection zones for more than 20 per cent of its stunning coastal and land areas.
The country is home to breathtaking landscapes and natural scenery, including white sand beaches fringed with palm trees; sapphire ocean waters; rolling green hills and winding valleys; rivers, lakes and cascading waterfalls; and majestic mountains.
Popular tourist destinations include Bavaro and Punta Cana, where tourists can enjoy championship golf courses, beachfront resorts, luxury spas, and miles of pristine beaches.
Santo Domingo is the capital of the Dominican Republic, and a UNESCO world heritage site that is divided by the Ozama River. Steeped in history, the city boasts old Victorian houses, tree-lined streets, and bustling casinos. Holidaymakers can visit historic monuments and attractions such as Columbus's Lighthouse, where the famous explorer's remains are buried; the open caves of the Parque Nacional Los Tres Ojos; and the National Aquarium.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy the relaxed vibes of the all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, complete with exclusive extras for couples!
- Enjoy a la carte cuisine in La Gondola, La perla or grills at media luna
- The resort is set in a picturesque location beside a secluded stretch of beach at Punta Cana
- Receive a 10% discount at the hotel spa
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
- Free upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Room
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
Live it up and enjoy a stay at the brand new Now Onyx Punta Cana, perfectly located on a pristine beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy unlimited luxury, sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Answer the call of the Dominican Republic's third-largest city and plunge into a world of lush tropical jungles and...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...
Spend eight days lazing in the abundant Punta Cana sunshine as you enjoy the best in hospitality that the Dominican...
Don't miss out on the ultimate 8-day Caribbean experience at the all-inclusive Be Live Hamaca in Punta Cana, Dominican...