British Air Passenger Duty scrapped for under 16's
A new measure has come into force that means families with children under 16 years old will no longer have to pay Air Passenger Duty when travelling in economy class. The change comes after the announcement in the UK's Autumn 2014 statement to help reduce costs for families flying to long-haul destinations such as the Caribbean and the United States.
A new change to British Air Passenger Duty has come into force this week which will make it cheaper for families flying in economy class.
The measure was initially announced in the 2014 Autumn statement that children under the age of 16 will no longer be charged the tax for flights, making it cheaper for families to travel to long-haul destinations like the Caribbean, United States and Australia.
Cheapflights, a specialist in flights and holiday deals, explained the changes, saying that families with two children travelling to APD Band B destinations, such as the Caribbean, could save up to £146 on one trip. Trips to Band A destinations will save savings of £13 per child.
"These changes follow a long period of lobbying by the aviation industry and consumer groups alike, and redress longstanding discrepancies in the way this tax is levied."
Stated Phil Bloomfield, a spokesperson for Cheapflights. He added that families who have already booked their flights could receive refunds:
"We'd urge those families with existing bookings to talk with their travel agent or airline to ensure the change in tax bands had already been factored into the price they'd paid for their flights, as some opportunities for refunds may exist."
From 2015, two bands have been introduced for Air Passenger Duty: Band A for short haul flights, which remain unchanged and cover a destination 2,000 miles or less from London, and Band B for long haul flights that cover a destination more than 2,000 miles away from London.
APD for children aged under 12 was scrapped on 1st May, 2015 and last week, an announcement was made that it has now been abolished for all children under 16.
This will mean that travellers booking flights to the Caribbean will no longer have to pay higher APD than many other countries, which is also great news for hotels, resorts and travel companies in the tropical region who rely on tourism and UK visitors.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...