British Air Passenger Duty scrapped for under 16's
A new measure has come into force that means families with children under 16 years old will no longer have to pay Air Passenger Duty when travelling in economy class. The change comes after the announcement in the UK's Autumn 2014 statement to help reduce costs for families flying to long-haul destinations such as the Caribbean and the United States.
A new change to British Air Passenger Duty has come into force this week which will make it cheaper for families flying in economy class.
The measure was initially announced in the 2014 Autumn statement that children under the age of 16 will no longer be charged the tax for flights, making it cheaper for families to travel to long-haul destinations like the Caribbean, United States and Australia.
Cheapflights, a specialist in flights and holiday deals, explained the changes, saying that families with two children travelling to APD Band B destinations, such as the Caribbean, could save up to £146 on one trip. Trips to Band A destinations will save savings of £13 per child.
"These changes follow a long period of lobbying by the aviation industry and consumer groups alike, and redress longstanding discrepancies in the way this tax is levied."
Stated Phil Bloomfield, a spokesperson for Cheapflights. He added that families who have already booked their flights could receive refunds:
"We'd urge those families with existing bookings to talk with their travel agent or airline to ensure the change in tax bands had already been factored into the price they'd paid for their flights, as some opportunities for refunds may exist."
From 2015, two bands have been introduced for Air Passenger Duty: Band A for short haul flights, which remain unchanged and cover a destination 2,000 miles or less from London, and Band B for long haul flights that cover a destination more than 2,000 miles away from London.
APD for children aged under 12 was scrapped on 1st May, 2015 and last week, an announcement was made that it has now been abolished for all children under 16.
This will mean that travellers booking flights to the Caribbean will no longer have to pay higher APD than many other countries, which is also great news for hotels, resorts and travel companies in the tropical region who rely on tourism and UK visitors.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...