Baseball: A highpoint in Obama's visit to Cuba this month
President Barack Obama announced early this week that he will drop by the Latin American stadium in Havana to attend an exhibition game between the Tampa Bay Rays and Cuba's national baseball team. The American politician will be on an official visit to the Caribbean country from 21 to 22 March this year.
As a massive baseball fan, Barack Obama has included in the schedule of his historic trip to Cuba a visit to the island’s flagship baseball stadium in Havana, where an exhibition game between an American MLB team and Cuba’s national baseball team will take place.
White House official Ben Rhodes confirmed the president's decision via Twitter last Tuesday, pointing out in his tweet that:
“Charting new #CubaPolicy means stronger ties between Cubans & Americans - we all share a love of baseball.”
Serious tensions between the United States’ administration and the Cuban government have lessened during the last year, as heads of state Raul Castro and Barack Obama communicated via simultaneous public speeches (on December 2014) their mutual intentions to reach an agreement for restoring diplomatic ties between both countries.
Last month President Obama announced that he would be travelling to Cuba in March accompanied by his wife Michelle, as a demonstration of his commitment to the negotiation process.
His participation in the baseball event, scheduled for 22nd March, has a strong symbolic dimension, as this particular sports discipline has important meanings in the identities and lives of the American and Cuban people. Mr Rhodes in his official Twitter account posted this Wednesday:
“We are very excited to…strengthen ties between our countries through our love & passion for the game of baseball.”
The game itself is a significant event, considering that it will be the first time in 17 years that a Mayor League team plays in Cuba. In 1999, the Baltimore Orioles played an exhibition game at the very same stadium in Havana. The series of two events (one took place in the island and the other in the U.S.) marked the first time that the Cuban national team had faced the MLB since 1959.
Carlos Lois, technical head of the Cuban Baseball Commission, stated that local players battling it out against the MBL team will be selected among those who performed well during the National Series. Training sessions for Cuba’s team will kick off next week.
Barack Obama is a Chicago White Sox fan and a baseball lover, as he has demonstrated in many occasions with his presence at various games and his comments about this sports practice in public. A family snapshot released to the press about three years ago, shows a very young Obama practicing his baseball swing in the 1960s.
Obama's state visit to the island will mark the first sighting of a U.S. president in Cuba in nearly 90 years. According to official statements from the White House, Obama's trip to the Caribbean nation is intended to push for further advances in the efforts that the U.S. government is making for “improving the lives of the Cuban people”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...