Baseball: A highpoint in Obama's visit to Cuba this month
President Barack Obama announced early this week that he will drop by the Latin American stadium in Havana to attend an exhibition game between the Tampa Bay Rays and Cuba's national baseball team. The American politician will be on an official visit to the Caribbean country from 21 to 22 March this year.
As a massive baseball fan, Barack Obama has included in the schedule of his historic trip to Cuba a visit to the island’s flagship baseball stadium in Havana, where an exhibition game between an American MLB team and Cuba’s national baseball team will take place.
White House official Ben Rhodes confirmed the president's decision via Twitter last Tuesday, pointing out in his tweet that:
“Charting new #CubaPolicy means stronger ties between Cubans & Americans - we all share a love of baseball.”
Serious tensions between the United States’ administration and the Cuban government have lessened during the last year, as heads of state Raul Castro and Barack Obama communicated via simultaneous public speeches (on December 2014) their mutual intentions to reach an agreement for restoring diplomatic ties between both countries.
Last month President Obama announced that he would be travelling to Cuba in March accompanied by his wife Michelle, as a demonstration of his commitment to the negotiation process.
His participation in the baseball event, scheduled for 22nd March, has a strong symbolic dimension, as this particular sports discipline has important meanings in the identities and lives of the American and Cuban people. Mr Rhodes in his official Twitter account posted this Wednesday:
“We are very excited to…strengthen ties between our countries through our love & passion for the game of baseball.”
The game itself is a significant event, considering that it will be the first time in 17 years that a Mayor League team plays in Cuba. In 1999, the Baltimore Orioles played an exhibition game at the very same stadium in Havana. The series of two events (one took place in the island and the other in the U.S.) marked the first time that the Cuban national team had faced the MLB since 1959.
Carlos Lois, technical head of the Cuban Baseball Commission, stated that local players battling it out against the MBL team will be selected among those who performed well during the National Series. Training sessions for Cuba’s team will kick off next week.
Barack Obama is a Chicago White Sox fan and a baseball lover, as he has demonstrated in many occasions with his presence at various games and his comments about this sports practice in public. A family snapshot released to the press about three years ago, shows a very young Obama practicing his baseball swing in the 1960s.
Obama's state visit to the island will mark the first sighting of a U.S. president in Cuba in nearly 90 years. According to official statements from the White House, Obama's trip to the Caribbean nation is intended to push for further advances in the efforts that the U.S. government is making for “improving the lives of the Cuban people”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Pernik Hotel is a comfortable tourist hotel located in a quiet green area near downtown Holguin. This hotel is close to...