Flight options between the U.S. and Cuba to increase next summer
Cuban aviation officials and their counterparts in the United States recently signed an agreement for the restoration of commercial flights connecting these neighbouring countries. The service was suspended in the early 1960s, but after the normalisation of diplomatic relations and the re-engagement between presidents Barack Obama and Raul Castro, civil aviation issues have been speedily discussed.
After 50 years of travelling with several restrictions and onboard uncomfortable charters, Americans and Cubans will have the opportunity to use commercial flights to travel between both countries, as it was informed on February by authorities of both nations.
Officials from the Cuban and United States governments signed a deal last month in Havana, establishing that more than 100 flights a day will be operated from next summer, covering the distances between various American airports and those in the island open to international air traffic.
This will radically change the current state of affairs in the sector, marked by the economic embargo imposed on the island by the U.S. more than five decades ago. This policy had severely restricted commercial trade with Cuba, including the banning of regular flights from the U.S.
But as the political climate has been gradually changing since December 2014, more Americans are going to Cuba, and analysts have predicted that the number of travellers will rise to millions if the embargo is finally lifted.
Several companies based in the U.S. have moved rapidly in the last year, offering charter services as a way to ensure their share in a forthcoming major business. Delta Airlines and JetBlue are among them, and it is expected that they also will be among the first airlines to operate commercial flights.
Each of these companies will be allowed to schedule 10 flights a day to any of the airports open to international service in Cuba: Camagüey, Cayo Coco, Cayo Largo, Cienfuegos, Holguín, Manzanillo, Matanzas, Santa Clara y Santiago de Cuba.
For now, only American companies will offer regular service between the U.S. and Cuba. Brandon Belford, head of the Department of Aeronautics Transportation in the U.S. said to AFP that they
“...do not anticipate that there will be Cuban-owned aircraft serving destinations in the United States in the near future.”
However, the accord is favourable also because it implies that flights will be offered at more competitive, lower prices, due to the huge increase in daily flights. At present, a ticket for a charter flight from New York to Havana costs around 850 USD, and 450 USD from Miami to Havana.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Capri's rooftop swimming pool
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a fantastic Havana City Tour
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...