Agreement signed for the start of commercial flights between Cuba and the U.S
An agreement has been signed to operate commercial flights between the United States and Cuba for the first time in five decades. The flights look set to commence in autumn this year, and more than 100 daily flights are expected to transport American and Cubans between the two nations since the U.S enforced a trade embargo on the communist island in 1960.
For the first time in 50 years, commercial flights between Cuba and the United States are set to resume.
The two countries signed an agreement that could see flights commencing between Cuba and the U.S this autumn, freely transporting Americans and Cubans for the first time since U.S enforced a trade embargo on the communist island in 1960. More than 100 commercial flights are expected to operate every day, which five times more than the number of current charter flights.
Anthony Foxx, the United States Transportation Secretary branded the latest deal a:
"... critically important milestone in the US effort to engage with Cuba."
The news has been welcomed by major U.S airlines, and United Airlines expressed its support, saying:
"United Airlines today applauded the historic signing by representatives of the United States and Cuba governments of a formal arrangement to reinstitute air service between the two countries."
More than 10 million Americans are expected to visit Cuba every year if the 54-year-long travel embargo is lifted, and many other nationalities are keen to visit the island and soak up its old-world charm.
U.S. airlines are still prohibited from selling tickets for Cuba flights, but they are currently permitted to operate the aircraft for charter companies that have been authorised by the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control. They can sell travel to Cuba for travellers that meet one of the 12 approved categories set by the Obama administration that include educational, cultural, and religious purposes.
In 2014, U.S President Barack Obama and Cuba's president Raul Castro announced that they would resume diplomatic relations, following more than five decades of hostilities. The two countries reopened embassies in Washington and Havana in July 2015.
Earlier this week, it was announced that Obama will be travelling to Cuba from 21st-22nd March, 2016, accompanied by his wife, Michelle Obama; the first lady to visit the island since Calvin Coolidge travelled to Cuba in 1928.
Located south of the United States in the in the Caribbean Sea, the island nation boasts popular tourist destinations such as the historic capital city, Havana; the stunning Jardines del Rey archipelago with virgin cays and sapphire ocean waters and colourful coral reefs; the Spanish Colonial city of Trinidad; and the popular beach resort of Varadero with 21 kilometres of coastline and white sandy beaches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Pernik Hotel is a comfortable tourist hotel located in a quiet green area near downtown Holguin. This hotel is close to...