Agreement signed for the start of commercial flights between Cuba and the U.S
An agreement has been signed to operate commercial flights between the United States and Cuba for the first time in five decades. The flights look set to commence in autumn this year, and more than 100 daily flights are expected to transport American and Cubans between the two nations since the U.S enforced a trade embargo on the communist island in 1960.
For the first time in 50 years, commercial flights between Cuba and the United States are set to resume.
The two countries signed an agreement that could see flights commencing between Cuba and the U.S this autumn, freely transporting Americans and Cubans for the first time since U.S enforced a trade embargo on the communist island in 1960. More than 100 commercial flights are expected to operate every day, which five times more than the number of current charter flights.
Anthony Foxx, the United States Transportation Secretary branded the latest deal a:
"... critically important milestone in the US effort to engage with Cuba."
The news has been welcomed by major U.S airlines, and United Airlines expressed its support, saying:
"United Airlines today applauded the historic signing by representatives of the United States and Cuba governments of a formal arrangement to reinstitute air service between the two countries."
More than 10 million Americans are expected to visit Cuba every year if the 54-year-long travel embargo is lifted, and many other nationalities are keen to visit the island and soak up its old-world charm.
U.S. airlines are still prohibited from selling tickets for Cuba flights, but they are currently permitted to operate the aircraft for charter companies that have been authorised by the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control. They can sell travel to Cuba for travellers that meet one of the 12 approved categories set by the Obama administration that include educational, cultural, and religious purposes.
In 2014, U.S President Barack Obama and Cuba's president Raul Castro announced that they would resume diplomatic relations, following more than five decades of hostilities. The two countries reopened embassies in Washington and Havana in July 2015.
Earlier this week, it was announced that Obama will be travelling to Cuba from 21st-22nd March, 2016, accompanied by his wife, Michelle Obama; the first lady to visit the island since Calvin Coolidge travelled to Cuba in 1928.
Located south of the United States in the in the Caribbean Sea, the island nation boasts popular tourist destinations such as the historic capital city, Havana; the stunning Jardines del Rey archipelago with virgin cays and sapphire ocean waters and colourful coral reefs; the Spanish Colonial city of Trinidad; and the popular beach resort of Varadero with 21 kilometres of coastline and white sandy beaches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...