Travel writer Rick Steves visits Havana, Cuba
Travel writer Rick Steves recently visited Havana in Cuba ahead of the anticipated influx of Americans, to discover the city's charm and culture. He visited the five-mile-long Malecon and Havana Fort, delving into its history while highlighting the reasons why it should be on every traveller's destination list.
Rick Steves, author of European travel guides and host of radio and TV travel shows, recently visited the island of Cuba to learn more about its capital city.
Situated just 90 miles south of Florida, Havana is an oceanfront city that is rich in history and culture.
Steves visited the five-mile-long Malecon that stretches along the seafront and was originally built over 100 years ago to keep the crashing waves away from the city. The Malecon is susceptible to flooding during tropical storms, and its adjacent district is also regularly flooded as a result.
The coastal promenade is a popular hangout for locals and holidaymakers, and people go to fish, play music, or just hang out with beers and friends.
The old fort in Havana represents the city's history with maritime invasion and visitors can wander around the crumbling rooms. Mr Steve wrote:
"Havana was the obvious spot for those Spanish conquistadors to establish a safe and thriving port to serve the needs of colonial trading ships. To sail to Europe safe from pirates, ships from throughout the Caribbean would gather here into a huge convoy for the twice-annual crossing of the Atlantic."
The city has two millions inhabitants, and old cars are still the main method of transport with colourful classic American 1950s Chevrolets cruising along the uncrowded roads.
The travel and trade embargo that was enforced by the U.S in 1960 has locked Cuba in a time warp that resembles the times of the 1950s. Following news that the two countries recently resumed diplomatic relations, the communist island nation is likely to change significantly in the near future, with improved technology, hotel development, and growth in the transport system.
These changes won't happen immediately however, and there is still time to capture Cuba's authenticity before the U.S completely lifts the travel embargo for its residents. Mr Steve noted:
"Before the Revolution, Havana was a playground of the rich and famous. A few vestiges of those Sinatra and Hemmingway days survive -- like the stately Hotel Nacional de Cuba."
Nacional de Cuba Hotel is located in the Vedado district in Havana, close to the capital shopping district and tourist attractions, and just a few steps away from the sea. Built in 1930, the hotel's art deco style attracted celebrities such as Winston Churchill, Ava Gardner and Frank Sinatra.
Holidaymakers can visit Havana's Catedral de San Cristobal; the maritime museum, Castillo de la Real Fuerza; and the Old Town, a UNESCO site with restored buildings and the tourist square, Plaza de Armas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...