Travel writer Rick Steves visits Havana, Cuba
Travel writer Rick Steves recently visited Havana in Cuba ahead of the anticipated influx of Americans, to discover the city's charm and culture. He visited the five-mile-long Malecon and Havana Fort, delving into its history while highlighting the reasons why it should be on every traveller's destination list.
Rick Steves, author of European travel guides and host of radio and TV travel shows, recently visited the island of Cuba to learn more about its capital city.
Situated just 90 miles south of Florida, Havana is an oceanfront city that is rich in history and culture.
Steves visited the five-mile-long Malecon that stretches along the seafront and was originally built over 100 years ago to keep the crashing waves away from the city. The Malecon is susceptible to flooding during tropical storms, and its adjacent district is also regularly flooded as a result.
The coastal promenade is a popular hangout for locals and holidaymakers, and people go to fish, play music, or just hang out with beers and friends.
The old fort in Havana represents the city's history with maritime invasion and visitors can wander around the crumbling rooms. Mr Steve wrote:
"Havana was the obvious spot for those Spanish conquistadors to establish a safe and thriving port to serve the needs of colonial trading ships. To sail to Europe safe from pirates, ships from throughout the Caribbean would gather here into a huge convoy for the twice-annual crossing of the Atlantic."
The city has two millions inhabitants, and old cars are still the main method of transport with colourful classic American 1950s Chevrolets cruising along the uncrowded roads.
The travel and trade embargo that was enforced by the U.S in 1960 has locked Cuba in a time warp that resembles the times of the 1950s. Following news that the two countries recently resumed diplomatic relations, the communist island nation is likely to change significantly in the near future, with improved technology, hotel development, and growth in the transport system.
These changes won't happen immediately however, and there is still time to capture Cuba's authenticity before the U.S completely lifts the travel embargo for its residents. Mr Steve noted:
"Before the Revolution, Havana was a playground of the rich and famous. A few vestiges of those Sinatra and Hemmingway days survive -- like the stately Hotel Nacional de Cuba."
Nacional de Cuba Hotel is located in the Vedado district in Havana, close to the capital shopping district and tourist attractions, and just a few steps away from the sea. Built in 1930, the hotel's art deco style attracted celebrities such as Winston Churchill, Ava Gardner and Frank Sinatra.
Holidaymakers can visit Havana's Catedral de San Cristobal; the maritime museum, Castillo de la Real Fuerza; and the Old Town, a UNESCO site with restored buildings and the tourist square, Plaza de Armas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...