Sandals Resorts International announces plans for first resort in Mexico
Sandals Resorts International has announced it will be expanding its portfolio into Mexico for the first time. The Caribbean hotel group has revealed that it is planning a new resort in the Riviera Maya region on the coast, near Cancun, and ground for the new-build hotel is expected to be broken by the end of the year.
The Caribbean hotel group Sandals Resorts International has revealed that is planning to make its debut in Mexico.
Sandals Resorts had been contemplating the move into Mexico for about a decade, and the CEO of Sandals, Adam Stewart, announced the company's plans to launch their first resort in the popular Riviera Maya region very near Cancun Airport (CUN).
Stewart said that the resort would be a new build located 40 minutes north of Playa del Carmen, and ground is expected to be broken by the end of the year.
There are also reports that the Jamaican-based Sandals Group will build a Beaches Resort in Cancun at a later date, but this has not been confirmed.
Sandals International Resorts owns and operates luxury all-inclusive Caribbean hotels and resorts in Jamaica, St Lucia, Antigua, The Bahamas, and Turks and Caicos under the three brands: Sandals Resorts, Beaches Resorts and Grand Pineapple Beach Resorts.
The hotel group launched its first hotel in Montego Bay in Jamaica in November 1981, and since then it has grown into one of the leading hotels groups for luxury holidays to the Caribbean. Over the decades, the group has launched a number of "firsts" in the hospitality sector such as being the first hotel chain to offer swim-up pool bars, the first to offer satellite TV, and the first to offer personal butlers for its guests.
Riviera Maya is located approximately 40 miles south of Cancun and boasts some of the world's most beautiful natural landscapes and wildlife species.
With 80 miles of coastline and strict developments limits on the height of buildings, the region is a popular uncrowded destination that attracts American and Canadian visitors in the winter and European tourists in the summer.
Holidaymakers can hike through spectacular nature parks and reserves; snorkel or scuba dive in crystal clear turquoise ocean waters; relax on white sand, pristine beaches; or have fun adventures at the Xplor Park with 14 zip-lines in two circuits stretching over 2.4 miles.
The area is home to an array of ancient Mayan ruins and temples such as Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, and Xcaret.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Live it up and Experience Cancun in unlimited luxury that knows no bounds at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort and Spa
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Rejuvenate in a peaceful and soothing atmosphere during a memorable holiday at the all-inclusive Gran Caribe Resort and...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...