Visitor arrivals to Costa Rica in 2015 exceed 2.5 million
Costa Rica recorded a total of 2,665,000 visitors in 2015, according to the tropical country's Tourism Board. The arrivals marked a 5.5 per cent increase compared to 2014, and the United States continued to be the main source market with 1,077,044 tourists visiting the Central American nation last year.
The number of travellers who visited Costa Rica in 2015 surpassed 2.5 million, according to data released by the Instituto Costarricense de Turismo (ICT).
The Tourism Board recorded a total of 2.665.000 visitors to Costa Rica in 2015, a 5.5 per cent increase compared to the year before.
The main source market continues to be the United States, with a total 1,077,044 tourists visiting the Central American country in the last 12 months.
In 2015, the country's tourism sector generated US$2.9 billion dollars in revenue, which was an increase of nine percent compared to 2014.
The numbers were praised by the Tourism Minister, Mauricio Ventura, who said that tourism was the driving force behind the national economy, and visitor numbers in 2016 are expected to be even better than last year.
Costa Rica is home to some of the world's most breathtaking natural scenery that is made up of lush rainforests, volcanoes, soaring mountains, unspoilt white-sand beaches, and waterfalls that cascade into turquoise lagoons.
The country has become an increasingly popular destination for nature-lovers, eco-conscious travellers, and adventure enthusiasts, thanks to its stunning landscapes, diverse wildlife species, and array of adrenalin-pumping activities such as trekking, surfing, scuba diving, climbing, rafting, kayaking, mountain biking and horse riding.
The educational tour company, Magmatica, has recently launched tours in the former capital Cartago, that take tourists on a journey through the natural history and geography of Costa Rica, exploring its history and close proximity to some of the world's most disastrous earthquakes.
The beautiful country boasts hundreds of eco-friendly hotels and resorts that are nestled within picturesque and natural surroundings. Ranked several times as the happiest place in the world in the New Economics Foundation's Happy Planet Index, Costa Rica is on the bucket list for many travellers from all over the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the Caribbean side of the country that has a culture of its own with joyful Reggae Music the beat of the region
- Discover the amazing Sloths at the Sloth Sanctuary in a little bit of paradise with various other animals to see along with fauna in the tropical rainforest setting
- Services of an English-Speaking local Guide shall be provided for the sightseeing & excursion tours only as per the itinerary
- Enjoy various other excursions on this tour including a Tortuguero Canals Boat Tour, Boat ride over La Estrella River along with much more
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing.
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...
Located in historic district of San Jose, Radisson San Jose enjoys a close proximity to the famous tourist attractions...