Cuba ranked top of 2016 luxury travel trends list
Cuba has topped the list of up and coming destinations in 2016 in the annual Travel Leaders Group luxury travel survey. Following recent resumed diplomatic relations between the U.S and Cuba, the Caribbean island was ranked in first place in the Luxury Travel Trends for 2016 report, according to results compiled from 1,316 US-based travel agents.
In this year's Travel Leaders Group luxury travel survey, Cuba is the biggest up and coming luxury and adventure travel destination for 2016.
Results compiled from 1,316 US-based travel agents showed that the Caribbean island was ranked in first place in the Luxury Travel Trends for 2016 report.
Ninan Chacko, the CEO of the Travel Leaders Group, commented:
"Today's luxury traveller is someone who seeks incredible, authentic and memorable experiences -- not merely 5-star hotels and Michelin star restaurants.
So it makes perfect sense that Cuba, Antarctica, and African safaris are among the top 'up-and-coming' luxury travel destinations according to our luxury travel agents throughout the United States."
The list highlighted an increase in demand for luxury and adventure travel to the United Arab Emirates, African safaris, and Antarctica.
Diplomatic relations between the United States and Cuba have been resumed following five decades of hostilities.
In 1961, the United States cut off diplomatic relations with Cuba following Fidel Castro's revolution. The years that followed saw an economic embargo imposed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower.
The recent changes will have a significant impact on the tourism industry in Cuba, with many Americans planning to travel to the Caribbean island in the near future, many for the first ever time.
General tourism and sun holidays to Cuba continue to be restricted, but U.S travellers can travel to the Caribbean island through people to people programmes and trips under 12 categories that have been organised by tour operators and charter companies in the U.S.
In July last year, embassies were opened in Havana and Washington, and plans are underway to resume commercial scheduled flights between the two countries.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea, east of Mexico. The country is rich in political history, and home to some of the world's most magnificent natural landscapes including pristine white sand beaches, azure lagoons, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
New hotel developments are underway on the island, many of which will be managed by luxury global hotel chains.
The country's historic capital city, Havana is home to crumbling buildings, museums, vibrant bars, and the bustling malecon; the stunning Jardines del Rey archipelago boasts virgin cays and turquoise ocean waters and coral reefs; and the popular beach resort of Varadero has 21 kilometres of coastline and white sandy beaches that are perfect for families.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...