Sanken to develop two more hotels in Maldives
The Sri Lankan construction company Sanken has announced it will develop another two hotels in the Maldives. The group has already constructed a resort on the island of Havodda, and it has recently leased a second island in the archipelago to build a second tourist resort, and it plans to open a business hotel in the capital Male.
The construction firm Sanken will be adding another two Maldives hotels to their portfolio.
The Sri Lankan company has developed a resort in the Maldives on the island of Havodda, and it plans to open a tourist resort on another island and a business hotel in the capital Male.
Both of the islands acquired by Sanken have been leased directly from the Maldives government for 50 years.
Speaking about the second island resort, BB Kalupana, the Overseas Chief Executive Officer of Sanken, said:
"This too would be 100-plus key property. We hope to market each room for around US$600. We will start construction in February and it would be another US$50 million investment."
Kalupana added that the construction company has already acquired land in Male to develop a new business hotel with 88 guest rooms.
Sanken's existing island resort in the Maldives is scheduled to open in February, 2016, and it will be managed by Thailand ONYX under its luxury Amari brand.
Amari Havodda is situated in the preserved Southern Gaafu Dhaalu atoll, and offers uninterrupted views of the sparkling Indian Ocean. Designed by French designer Isabelle Miaja, the luxury resort offers a tranquil retreat for holidaymakers with 120 overwater and beach villas.
Facilities include swimming pools, the Thari Bar, and the Amari brand's signature restaurant, Amaya Food Gallery, where diners can see the international and Asian dishes being created in the open kitchens.
Water enthusiasts will love the Water Sports Centre or the Dive Centre where they can enjoy kayaking, or scuba diving and snorkelling in the island's thriving house reef.
The Thai-based ONYX Hospitality Group is owned by Crystal Plaza Resorts, and the hotel company operates 51 properties across the Asia Pacific.
The Maldives is an archipelago in the Indian Ocean spanning nearly 1,200 stunning coral islands, of which 200 are inhabited. Holidaymakers can go snorkelling or scuba diving, take boat trips to other islands, go hiking through tropical forests, and relax on unspoilt white sugar sand beaches that are fringed with swaying palm trees and cobalt ocean waters.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
The island of Bandos is a perfect setting for that romantic getaway or those two weeks of bliss away from work. The...