Upgraded Burwood Beach now open to public in Falmouth, Jamaica
Burwood Beach is now open tourists, after it underwent an extensive upgrade programme recently. The Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF) carried out the work to the beach in Falmouth in Trelawny, Jamaica, and it was officially handed over to Trelawny parish council last week with a new kids play area, showers, and sanitary conveniences.
Tourists can now access Burwood Beach in Jamaica, following a multi-million dollar upgrade programme carried out by the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF).
Situated in Falmouth, Trelawny in Jamaica, the beach underwent a $28 million makeover to improve its facilities. These included a new kids' play area, showers and sanitary conveniences, and restaurants and bars are also planned for the future.
The facility is free entrance for both locals and holidaymakers, and the renovation project was part of a larger-scale $250 million programme to upgrade Jamaica's 30 best beaches.
Tourism and Entertainment Minister, Dr Wykeham McNeill, spoke at the at a handing over ceremony, and said the upgrading of the beach forms is part of the ministry's plans to upgrade the best beaches across the island so Jamaicans and visitors can both use them free of charge. Dr McNeill said:
"There must be a programme that protects the opportunities of Jamaicans to truly enjoy their country, and that is what the beaches programme of the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF) is all about.
"The fact is wherever we can identify beaches that we feel would be best kept in the public interest, we are going to acquire those beaches, put the proper infrastructure on those beaches. These beaches will remain free and open to the public."
The extensive programme is being supported by Parish Councils, the Urban Development Corporation, the Ministry of Water, Land and Climate Change, and the National Environment and Planning Agency.
Jamaica is an island country located in the Caribbean Sea and it boasts pristine white sand beaches fringed with warm turquoise ocean waters, majestic mountains, cascading waterfalls, and lush rolling emerald green hills.
The island's magnificent natural wonders include the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, lush botanical gardens, and the majestic Blue Mountains.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- July Special offers now in place with savings until 2019
- Unlimited-Fun® All Inclusive Resort with a selection of dining options for all the family
- On-site Waterpark featuring a Pirate ship, a lazy river and two waterslides
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Summer 2018 Sale now extended, save £250 per person
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free and a saving of upto 14%
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...