Upgraded Burwood Beach now open to public in Falmouth, Jamaica
Burwood Beach is now open tourists, after it underwent an extensive upgrade programme recently. The Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF) carried out the work to the beach in Falmouth in Trelawny, Jamaica, and it was officially handed over to Trelawny parish council last week with a new kids play area, showers, and sanitary conveniences.
Tourists can now access Burwood Beach in Jamaica, following a multi-million dollar upgrade programme carried out by the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF).
Situated in Falmouth, Trelawny in Jamaica, the beach underwent a $28 million makeover to improve its facilities. These included a new kids' play area, showers and sanitary conveniences, and restaurants and bars are also planned for the future.
The facility is free entrance for both locals and holidaymakers, and the renovation project was part of a larger-scale $250 million programme to upgrade Jamaica's 30 best beaches.
Tourism and Entertainment Minister, Dr Wykeham McNeill, spoke at the at a handing over ceremony, and said the upgrading of the beach forms is part of the ministry's plans to upgrade the best beaches across the island so Jamaicans and visitors can both use them free of charge. Dr McNeill said:
"There must be a programme that protects the opportunities of Jamaicans to truly enjoy their country, and that is what the beaches programme of the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF) is all about.
"The fact is wherever we can identify beaches that we feel would be best kept in the public interest, we are going to acquire those beaches, put the proper infrastructure on those beaches. These beaches will remain free and open to the public."
The extensive programme is being supported by Parish Councils, the Urban Development Corporation, the Ministry of Water, Land and Climate Change, and the National Environment and Planning Agency.
Jamaica is an island country located in the Caribbean Sea and it boasts pristine white sand beaches fringed with warm turquoise ocean waters, majestic mountains, cascading waterfalls, and lush rolling emerald green hills.
The island's magnificent natural wonders include the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, lush botanical gardens, and the majestic Blue Mountains.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Resort is surrounded by Montego Bay Marine Park, an underwater national park with protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Huge Savings when staying in Sun Club Rooms and Junior Suites
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage with a variety of restaurants plus 24-hour Room Service
- One child under 12 stays FREE and kids will enjoy access to the expansive and renowned Explorer's Club
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Club Ambience is set on the shoreline in Runaway Bay, a small town in the parish of St Ann on the north coast of...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...