Cancun named as most expensive place in world to ring in New Year
The popular coastal region of Cancun in Mexico has been named as the most expensive destination in the world to spend New Year's Eve. The online travel company CheapHotels.org carried out a survey that revealed the top 10 most expensive destinations to ring in 2016, with Cancun, Dubai and Miami topping the list.
Cancun has emerged as the most expensive place in the world for people to spend New Year's Eve.
In a survey carried out by Cheap Hotels, the top three most expensive places in the world to ring in 2016 were Cancun, Dubai, and Miami. According to the survey results, travellers booking stays in Cancun in Mexico between 30th December and 2nd January paid US$311 for a double room in a three-star hotel.
Dubai was the second most expensive destination with holidaymakers paying US$302 during the same period, while revellers in Miami paid US$286.
The Top 10 list featured beach cities and traditional party towns, and included Los Angeles, Edinburgh, New Orleans, Honolulu in Hawaii, New York City, Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic, and Rio de Janeiro.
The least expensive place to celebrate last week's New Year's Eve was Buenos Aries where travellers could pay just US$38 per night for a hotel room.
Cancun is situated on the strip of Caribbean coastline on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula. It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country, and the city is full of upscale hotels and resorts, gourmet restaurants, nightclubs, tourist attractions, shops and boutiques, and world-class golf courses.
The popular hotel zone is home to 26 kilometres of pristine white sand beaches that are fringed by the turquoise Caribbean Sea.
Holidaymakers can go zip lining through verdant jungles; scuba dive beneath the surface of the crystal clear turquoise ocean to explore the famous underwater museum and spectacular marine life; trek through lush rainforests that are thriving with diverse wildlife; or explore the region's ancient Mayan ruins and temples such as Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, Xcaret, and Chichen Itza.
What was once an uninhabited area full of unexplored beaches and mangroves in 1970, is now a thriving destination for sun-seekers, spring breakers, and nature-lovers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- Adults only resort just 20 minutes from the airport and the nightlife of Cancun 15 miles away
- Enjoy one of the various treatments on offer at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Step into every scuba divers paradise during an 8-day holiday to the beautiful Mexican island of Cozumel, where...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...