Elegant Hotels bullish on Barbados tourism industry
Elegant Hotels is looking to take advantage of Barbados' booming tourism industry announcing that it was looking to expand its portfolio in the region through a series of acquisitions in the coming year. Elegant Hotels was recently spun off and has been listed on the AIM since 26th May 2015.
The recently spun-off Elegant Hotels is betting big on Barbados in the coming year with the AIM listed hotel company announcing that it will be looking into making acquisitions in the Caribbean Island.
The announcement comes as Elegant Hotels recently posted a notable growth in profits with a 4.3 per cent growth to $60.1m and a 15.7 per cent rise in adjusted operating profit.
In addition to the hotel's strong financial position, underpinning its more aggressive approach to expanding its portfolio in the region is the fact that demand for holidays in Barbados is on the rise.
"We see an opportunity: the tourism sector in the Caribbean since 2007/8 has been flat and we think there are properties and hotels out there which fit into our portfolio well. We want to capitalise on that."
Explained Elegant Hotels' CEO Sunil Chatrani.
According to recent statistics, the number of arrivals in Barbados grew by 14.7 per cent from January to October. This figure will likely continue to improve in the coming years as ongoing instability in Tunisia and Egypt, two of Barbados' main competitors according to Elegant Hotels. is expected to drive traffic to Barbados.
The major airlines are also keen to take advantage of the island's booming tourism industry with British Airways, Delta and Thomas Cook all offering additional direct flight to Barbados.
Mr Chatrani was also keen to highlight his firm's favourable position in relation to its peers on the island noting that Elegant Hotels has "no main competitor". Chatrani went to say:
"I will be disappointed if we do not manage to make an acquisition in 2016 and we have around $30m available without having to go to the market."
One additional factor that will serve to boost Barbados' tourism industry is William Griffith's, the CEO of the Barbados Tourism and Marketing Inc (BTMI) recently announced plans to establish a European tourism office. The announcement was made at the quarterly general meeting of the Barbados Hotel and Tourism Association.
Other initiatives from the BTMI announced on the day include the development of a new multi- language website and a renewed focus on sports, wedding and honeymoon tourism.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- July Sale extended - with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Beachfront Property a short walk from the popular St Lawrence Gap
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Stay at Sandals Barbados the first and only Luxury Included® Resort exclusively designed for couples and make the most of time away with that special someone.
- Save up to 45% plus Summer Savings with amazing discounts on select rooms
- A choice of 11 Five star Global Gourmet™ options including room service for Butler Serviced Suites and Club Sandals accommodations including the first Indian Restaurant featured in any Sandals hotel and complimentary transfers
- Located on the sunny southern coast of the beautifully vibrant island, set on the pristine sands of Dover Beach and set amongst acres of lush tropical gardens
- Choose from endless daytime activities such as Body Boarding, Wind Surfing, Hobie Cat Sailing and Kayaking
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...