New infrastructure improvements planned for Cancun
Cancun in Mexico will undergo further improvements to its infrastructure, with the introduction of a new federal programme led by the Ministry of Tourism and the National Tourism Fund (FONATUR). The popular holiday destination will have a new four-lane bridge, new hotels, and a pedestrian-only zone in a part of Avenue Nadar.
One of Mexico's most popular tourist destinations will see further enhancements to its infrastructure in the coming months.
Cancun, a hotspot for families, couples and spring breakers, will undergo a series of developments thanks to a federal programme that will be led by the Ministry of Tourism and the National Tourism Fund ((FONATUR).
Construction of the Laguna Bojorquez Bridge will start in early 2016. The new four-lane bridge will connect the popular Cancun Hotel Zone and mainland, easing traffic queues on Kukulcan Boulevard.
Additional developments include a part of Avenue Nader in downtown Cancun that will become a pedestrian-only zone.
"We're seeing some clear plans at the local, state and municipal level to improve infrastructure"
Stated David Torres, the Director of Sales for the Excellence Group. Mr Torres also explained:
"That improves the guest experience and that's great for all the hoteliers. One thing that's very clear is that Cancun is on the upswing as far as growth."
A new Thompson hotel will open this winter with the launch of Thompson Playa del Carmen which will be situated in two separate locations. The main hotel will be on La Quinta Avenida, the two mile pedestrian shopping and restaurant area, and The Beach House which will be situated a few streets away from the main hotel.
"This is an exciting time for everyone involved in the opening of Thompson Playa del Carmen."
Explained Alexis Kagan, the Director of Sales and Marketing for Thompson Playa del Carmen, he continued:
"We began this journey many months ago to create the first lifestyle hotel in Playa del Carmen, which caters to our sophisticated, experience-seeking guests, as well as to locals."
Cancun is a strip of Caribbean coastline on the Yucatan Peninsula that was developed into a tourist resort after many financial institutions including the Bank of Mexico invested in the project in the 1970's.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- Adults only resort just 20 minutes from the airport and the nightlife of Cancun 15 miles away
- Enjoy one of the various treatments on offer at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Kids can Stay, Play and Eat free at Moon Palace when travelling from 1st June to 31st August 2016 & October Half Term (17th - 31st October 2016)
- Moon Spa & Golf Club is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...