New infrastructure improvements planned for Cancun
Cancun in Mexico will undergo further improvements to its infrastructure, with the introduction of a new federal programme led by the Ministry of Tourism and the National Tourism Fund (FONATUR). The popular holiday destination will have a new four-lane bridge, new hotels, and a pedestrian-only zone in a part of Avenue Nadar.
One of Mexico's most popular tourist destinations will see further enhancements to its infrastructure in the coming months.
Cancun, a hotspot for families, couples and spring breakers, will undergo a series of developments thanks to a federal programme that will be led by the Ministry of Tourism and the National Tourism Fund ((FONATUR).
Construction of the Laguna Bojorquez Bridge will start in early 2016. The new four-lane bridge will connect the popular Cancun Hotel Zone and mainland, easing traffic queues on Kukulcan Boulevard.
Additional developments include a part of Avenue Nader in downtown Cancun that will become a pedestrian-only zone.
"We're seeing some clear plans at the local, state and municipal level to improve infrastructure"
Stated David Torres, the Director of Sales for the Excellence Group. Mr Torres also explained:
"That improves the guest experience and that's great for all the hoteliers. One thing that's very clear is that Cancun is on the upswing as far as growth."
A new Thompson hotel will open this winter with the launch of Thompson Playa del Carmen which will be situated in two separate locations. The main hotel will be on La Quinta Avenida, the two mile pedestrian shopping and restaurant area, and The Beach House which will be situated a few streets away from the main hotel.
"This is an exciting time for everyone involved in the opening of Thompson Playa del Carmen."
Explained Alexis Kagan, the Director of Sales and Marketing for Thompson Playa del Carmen, he continued:
"We began this journey many months ago to create the first lifestyle hotel in Playa del Carmen, which caters to our sophisticated, experience-seeking guests, as well as to locals."
Cancun is a strip of Caribbean coastline on the Yucatan Peninsula that was developed into a tourist resort after many financial institutions including the Bank of Mexico invested in the project in the 1970's.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all inclusive luxury 24 Hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Unlimited-Luxury with gourmet dining and premium beverages in a choice of six reservation-free restaurants and five stylish bars
- Enjoy endless activities - from kayaking to snorkelling, windsurfing and much more
- Pamper yourself with innovative treatments at the Now Spa by Pevonia
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Adults only resort promising great parties and only 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine unique restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a pristine white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...