New infrastructure improvements planned for Cancun
Cancun in Mexico will undergo further improvements to its infrastructure, with the introduction of a new federal programme led by the Ministry of Tourism and the National Tourism Fund (FONATUR). The popular holiday destination will have a new four-lane bridge, new hotels, and a pedestrian-only zone in a part of Avenue Nadar.
One of Mexico's most popular tourist destinations will see further enhancements to its infrastructure in the coming months.
Cancun, a hotspot for families, couples and spring breakers, will undergo a series of developments thanks to a federal programme that will be led by the Ministry of Tourism and the National Tourism Fund ((FONATUR).
Construction of the Laguna Bojorquez Bridge will start in early 2016. The new four-lane bridge will connect the popular Cancun Hotel Zone and mainland, easing traffic queues on Kukulcan Boulevard.
Additional developments include a part of Avenue Nader in downtown Cancun that will become a pedestrian-only zone.
"We're seeing some clear plans at the local, state and municipal level to improve infrastructure"
Stated David Torres, the Director of Sales for the Excellence Group. Mr Torres also explained:
"That improves the guest experience and that's great for all the hoteliers. One thing that's very clear is that Cancun is on the upswing as far as growth."
A new Thompson hotel will open this winter with the launch of Thompson Playa del Carmen which will be situated in two separate locations. The main hotel will be on La Quinta Avenida, the two mile pedestrian shopping and restaurant area, and The Beach House which will be situated a few streets away from the main hotel.
"This is an exciting time for everyone involved in the opening of Thompson Playa del Carmen."
Explained Alexis Kagan, the Director of Sales and Marketing for Thompson Playa del Carmen, he continued:
"We began this journey many months ago to create the first lifestyle hotel in Playa del Carmen, which caters to our sophisticated, experience-seeking guests, as well as to locals."
Cancun is a strip of Caribbean coastline on the Yucatan Peninsula that was developed into a tourist resort after many financial institutions including the Bank of Mexico invested in the project in the 1970's.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Cancun is one of the most sought-after beachside resorts in the world. Make this your next holiday destination and revel...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Enjoy the best of Cancun in an eight-day retreat that will both relax and energise you completely. Your home for your...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Immerse yourself in eight divine days of delight at the Occidental Cozumel in Playa San Francisco. Sit back and relax in...