New infrastructure improvements planned for Cancun
Cancun in Mexico will undergo further improvements to its infrastructure, with the introduction of a new federal programme led by the Ministry of Tourism and the National Tourism Fund (FONATUR). The popular holiday destination will have a new four-lane bridge, new hotels, and a pedestrian-only zone in a part of Avenue Nadar.
One of Mexico's most popular tourist destinations will see further enhancements to its infrastructure in the coming months.
Cancun, a hotspot for families, couples and spring breakers, will undergo a series of developments thanks to a federal programme that will be led by the Ministry of Tourism and the National Tourism Fund ((FONATUR).
Construction of the Laguna Bojorquez Bridge will start in early 2016. The new four-lane bridge will connect the popular Cancun Hotel Zone and mainland, easing traffic queues on Kukulcan Boulevard.
Additional developments include a part of Avenue Nader in downtown Cancun that will become a pedestrian-only zone.
"We're seeing some clear plans at the local, state and municipal level to improve infrastructure"
Stated David Torres, the Director of Sales for the Excellence Group. Mr Torres also explained:
"That improves the guest experience and that's great for all the hoteliers. One thing that's very clear is that Cancun is on the upswing as far as growth."
A new Thompson hotel will open this winter with the launch of Thompson Playa del Carmen which will be situated in two separate locations. The main hotel will be on La Quinta Avenida, the two mile pedestrian shopping and restaurant area, and The Beach House which will be situated a few streets away from the main hotel.
"This is an exciting time for everyone involved in the opening of Thompson Playa del Carmen."
Explained Alexis Kagan, the Director of Sales and Marketing for Thompson Playa del Carmen, he continued:
"We began this journey many months ago to create the first lifestyle hotel in Playa del Carmen, which caters to our sophisticated, experience-seeking guests, as well as to locals."
Cancun is a strip of Caribbean coastline on the Yucatan Peninsula that was developed into a tourist resort after many financial institutions including the Bank of Mexico invested in the project in the 1970's.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Take advantage of this amazing free kids offer - Up to two kids stay free when sharing with two paying adults
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Indulge in a true adults-only (over 21), urban experience at Oh! where you can take advantage of the hotel’s enviable...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...