The Holiday Place attends NatGeo UK Traveller Reader Awards 2015
Last night, Le Meridien Piccadilly hotel in Central London was the chosen venue to host the celebration of the National Geographic Traveller UK Readers Awards 2015. The Holiday Place was there to cheer on the deserving winners, catch up with some of our partners at National Geographic and generally celebrate all that's great about the travelling world.
Hosted by the always refreshingly funny and humorous Tim Shaw, who not only presented the awards but also performed one of his ingenious science tricks to a delighted audience, the 2015 National Traveller UK Readers Award kicked off to a fabulous start yesterday evening at 8 p.m. in Central London’s Le Meridien Piccadilly.
The Holiday Place’s Marketing Manager; Anna vine, Web Designer and photo boffin, Jana Crowne along with yours truly were invited to this annual event that recognises the UK travel industry’s biggest players, the top favourites and the most loved destinations and tourist attractions in the world, as voted by the magazine’s readers themselves. It offers a glimpse into what’s on trend according to the readers of National Geographic magazine.
To warm things up before the official list of winners was announced, ever-so-charming, charismatic and energetic Tim Shaw, famous for his exploding antics on his TV Series, Street Genius, which are (quite appropriately) broadcast on the National Geographic Channel, both in the UK, the US and many other international territories, opened up the evening with a brief personal introduction that quickly one of his entertaining science tricks.
He picked two members of the audience (one of which was our Anna Vine herself) to demonstrate live how you can make instant ice cream with as little as liquid cream, chocolate powder, a fire extinguisher and a pillowcase. Being quite the showman he was naturally born to be, the TV presenter and engineer surely wooed the audience.
Preceeding this, Pat Riddell, editor of National Geographic UK said:
"Congratulations to all the well-deserved winners and finalists, and thanks to everyone who took the time to vote and share their favourites in travel with us.
"Our readers are a well-travelled, opinionated and discerning bunch and it’s an honour to present these awards on their behalf to some of the best in the business. We look forward to featuring many of them in the magazine over the coming year."
After all winners waltzed through the stage to collect their prize, the best was saved for last as the award for Outstanding Contribution to Travel was awarded to travel writer, Paul Theroux, who couldn’t be there for the occasion but who sent his also famous son and documentary filmmaker, Louis Theroux to collect the award on his behalf.
Winners of the National are selected by approximately 6,000 readers, who vote online for their favourite airline, destination, attraction, tour operator and more. All the winners will be featured in the January/February issue of National Geographic Traveller UK but in the meantime if you want to see the full list, you can click here.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...