The Holiday Place attends NatGeo UK Traveller Reader Awards 2015
Last night, Le Meridien Piccadilly hotel in Central London was the chosen venue to host the celebration of the National Geographic Traveller UK Readers Awards 2015. The Holiday Place was there to cheer on the deserving winners, catch up with some of our partners at National Geographic and generally celebrate all that's great about the travelling world.
Hosted by the always refreshingly funny and humorous Tim Shaw, who not only presented the awards but also performed one of his ingenious science tricks to a delighted audience, the 2015 National Traveller UK Readers Award kicked off to a fabulous start yesterday evening at 8 p.m. in Central London’s Le Meridien Piccadilly.
The Holiday Place’s Marketing Manager; Anna vine, Web Designer and photo boffin, Jana Crowne along with yours truly were invited to this annual event that recognises the UK travel industry’s biggest players, the top favourites and the most loved destinations and tourist attractions in the world, as voted by the magazine’s readers themselves. It offers a glimpse into what’s on trend according to the readers of National Geographic magazine.
To warm things up before the official list of winners was announced, ever-so-charming, charismatic and energetic Tim Shaw, famous for his exploding antics on his TV Series, Street Genius, which are (quite appropriately) broadcast on the National Geographic Channel, both in the UK, the US and many other international territories, opened up the evening with a brief personal introduction that quickly one of his entertaining science tricks.
He picked two members of the audience (one of which was our Anna Vine herself) to demonstrate live how you can make instant ice cream with as little as liquid cream, chocolate powder, a fire extinguisher and a pillowcase. Being quite the showman he was naturally born to be, the TV presenter and engineer surely wooed the audience.
Preceeding this, Pat Riddell, editor of National Geographic UK said:
"Congratulations to all the well-deserved winners and finalists, and thanks to everyone who took the time to vote and share their favourites in travel with us.
"Our readers are a well-travelled, opinionated and discerning bunch and it’s an honour to present these awards on their behalf to some of the best in the business. We look forward to featuring many of them in the magazine over the coming year."
After all winners waltzed through the stage to collect their prize, the best was saved for last as the award for Outstanding Contribution to Travel was awarded to travel writer, Paul Theroux, who couldn’t be there for the occasion but who sent his also famous son and documentary filmmaker, Louis Theroux to collect the award on his behalf.
Winners of the National are selected by approximately 6,000 readers, who vote online for their favourite airline, destination, attraction, tour operator and more. All the winners will be featured in the January/February issue of National Geographic Traveller UK but in the meantime if you want to see the full list, you can click here.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Exciting marine and entertainment attractions that the whole family can enjoy
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Indulge in the finer things in life at a luxury five-star retreat and enjoy rocking the night away
- The location on Cancun's tranquil southern shore, provides the perfect rejuivinating base for exploring Cancun.
- The resort is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun.
- Enjoy the array of activities including surfing, golf, dolphin swims, tours, spa treatments and much more.
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Zabeel House Mini by Jumeirah is a playful, pocket friendly hotel high on design and low on complexity. Perfectly...