The Holiday Place attends NatGeo UK Traveller Reader Awards 2015
Last night, Le Meridien Piccadilly hotel in Central London was the chosen venue to host the celebration of the National Geographic Traveller UK Readers Awards 2015. The Holiday Place was there to cheer on the deserving winners, catch up with some of our partners at National Geographic and generally celebrate all that's great about the travelling world.
Hosted by the always refreshingly funny and humorous Tim Shaw, who not only presented the awards but also performed one of his ingenious science tricks to a delighted audience, the 2015 National Traveller UK Readers Award kicked off to a fabulous start yesterday evening at 8 p.m. in Central London’s Le Meridien Piccadilly.
The Holiday Place’s Marketing Manager; Anna vine, Web Designer and photo boffin, Jana Crowne along with yours truly were invited to this annual event that recognises the UK travel industry’s biggest players, the top favourites and the most loved destinations and tourist attractions in the world, as voted by the magazine’s readers themselves. It offers a glimpse into what’s on trend according to the readers of National Geographic magazine.
To warm things up before the official list of winners was announced, ever-so-charming, charismatic and energetic Tim Shaw, famous for his exploding antics on his TV Series, Street Genius, which are (quite appropriately) broadcast on the National Geographic Channel, both in the UK, the US and many other international territories, opened up the evening with a brief personal introduction that quickly one of his entertaining science tricks.
He picked two members of the audience (one of which was our Anna Vine herself) to demonstrate live how you can make instant ice cream with as little as liquid cream, chocolate powder, a fire extinguisher and a pillowcase. Being quite the showman he was naturally born to be, the TV presenter and engineer surely wooed the audience.
Preceeding this, Pat Riddell, editor of National Geographic UK said:
"Congratulations to all the well-deserved winners and finalists, and thanks to everyone who took the time to vote and share their favourites in travel with us.
"Our readers are a well-travelled, opinionated and discerning bunch and it’s an honour to present these awards on their behalf to some of the best in the business. We look forward to featuring many of them in the magazine over the coming year."
After all winners waltzed through the stage to collect their prize, the best was saved for last as the award for Outstanding Contribution to Travel was awarded to travel writer, Paul Theroux, who couldn’t be there for the occasion but who sent his also famous son and documentary filmmaker, Louis Theroux to collect the award on his behalf.
Winners of the National are selected by approximately 6,000 readers, who vote online for their favourite airline, destination, attraction, tour operator and more. All the winners will be featured in the January/February issue of National Geographic Traveller UK but in the meantime if you want to see the full list, you can click here.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Enjoy 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a fantastic beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- Great facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...