Notable growth reported in the African and Middle Eastern hotel markets
STR Global's latest report for October 2015 indicates a notable year on year growth in the number of hotel rooms under contract and under construction in the Middle Eastern and popular African destinations. The growth in October is part of a wider trend of increased investment in the African continent's hotel market in the coming years on the back of more favourable investment conditions and increased demand.
Hotel research firm STR Global’s latest Global Construction Pipeline Report reveals a notable growth in the hotel market for Africa and Middle Eastern destinations in October 2015. The report’s findings indicate that holidaymakers will have a wider range of choices in the future when booking holidays in Africa and the Middle East. Year on year, the number of hotel room under contract, i.e. all confirmed projects that are currently in the planning phase, increased 29 per cent with 1975,705 rooms.
Similarly, there was also an increase in the number of rooms under construction with 105,177 rooms across 407 hotels representing a year-on-year increase of 43.1 per cent. STR’s report also indicated that many of these rooms, which are soon to enter the market, are of the Upper Upscale Scale segment. This segment accounted for the largest share of rooms in both the under contract and the under construction stages.
Echoing STR’s general sentiment was another report from consultancy firm JLL which stated that there would be over 42,000 new hotel rooms built on the African continent between 2014 and 2017. Additionally, according to JLL, projections indicate that there will be as much as $2.7 billion invested in the region’s hotel sector by 2018. Among the key driving factors for the bullish outlook is the more attractive investment climate in the region (in contrast with previous years), coupled with the fact that demand for holidays in Africa has grown. Notably, tourism in Africa is set to increase by 5.7 per cent by 2030, this compared to the mere 3.6 per cent growth projected globally.
The Head of property services at Hotel Partners Africa, David Harper stated,
" The investment market in Africa is improving along daily. More and more people [are] reviewing options more seriously than ever before… In eight countries growth averaged over 6% [in the last six years]… To set that in context, average hotel prices in Europe went up less than 1.5% per annum in the same period"
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
Discover Morocco with plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment for the whole family
Benefit from the private balcony with wonderful garden or sea views at Agadir Beach Club
- Never waste a minute of your holiday with the activities for everyone to enjoy - indoor pool, kids' club, beach volleyball, table tennis and more
- Relax and enjoy the fabulous spa services and all massage treatment rooms
- Elegant and modern restaurants offering international, seafood, French, Moroccan and Italian cuisines
Have fun in the sun, dive in the underwater gardens of the Red Sea and enjoy a myriad of activities for the whole family
- Great family resort with plenty of activities
- Only 5 minutes away from Sharm El Sheikh International Airport
- Enjoy astonishing variety of fish and marine life of the Red Sea
Go for the experience of lifetime on this self-driven Kruger route - a classical tour that offers something for everyone with magical views along the way.
- The package includes accommodation in carefully selected 4* properties, meals as well as car hire including a GPS during your entire journey
- The tour is 7 nights and 8 days long with insights into the history of South Africa, cultural diversity, adventure, scenic beauty and unforgettable safaris
- Enjoy 4 game drives including morning and afternoon safaris to see elephants, leopards, lions, rhinos, cheetahs, hippos and many more animals
Relaxing and unforgetable experince with 11 nights tour including an excellent range of facilities
- Experience the fruitful lifestyle of the Cape Region
- Discover the spectacular landscapes of the Kruger region
- Travel to Karongwe Private Game Reserve to get exclusive access, day and night, to a wide range of animals including the "Big Five"
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...
Oozing Moroccan charm through all its pores, this elegant and picturesque boutique hotel and "maison" sitting...
With a good location next to the city centre and the medina, this charming hotel will put you in close proximity to the...