Notable growth reported in the African and Middle Eastern hotel markets
STR Global's latest report for October 2015 indicates a notable year on year growth in the number of hotel rooms under contract and under construction in the Middle Eastern and popular African destinations. The growth in October is part of a wider trend of increased investment in the African continent's hotel market in the coming years on the back of more favourable investment conditions and increased demand.
Hotel research firm STR Global’s latest Global Construction Pipeline Report reveals a notable growth in the hotel market for Africa and Middle Eastern destinations in October 2015. The report’s findings indicate that holidaymakers will have a wider range of choices in the future when booking holidays in Africa and the Middle East. Year on year, the number of hotel room under contract, i.e. all confirmed projects that are currently in the planning phase, increased 29 per cent with 1975,705 rooms.
Similarly, there was also an increase in the number of rooms under construction with 105,177 rooms across 407 hotels representing a year-on-year increase of 43.1 per cent. STR’s report also indicated that many of these rooms, which are soon to enter the market, are of the Upper Upscale Scale segment. This segment accounted for the largest share of rooms in both the under contract and the under construction stages.
Echoing STR’s general sentiment was another report from consultancy firm JLL which stated that there would be over 42,000 new hotel rooms built on the African continent between 2014 and 2017. Additionally, according to JLL, projections indicate that there will be as much as $2.7 billion invested in the region’s hotel sector by 2018. Among the key driving factors for the bullish outlook is the more attractive investment climate in the region (in contrast with previous years), coupled with the fact that demand for holidays in Africa has grown. Notably, tourism in Africa is set to increase by 5.7 per cent by 2030, this compared to the mere 3.6 per cent growth projected globally.
The Head of property services at Hotel Partners Africa, David Harper stated,
" The investment market in Africa is improving along daily. More and more people [are] reviewing options more seriously than ever before… In eight countries growth averaged over 6% [in the last six years]… To set that in context, average hotel prices in Europe went up less than 1.5% per annum in the same period"
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
Discover Morocco with plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment for the whole family
Benefit from the private balcony with wonderful garden or sea views at Agadir Beach Club
- Never waste a minute of your holiday with the activities for everyone to enjoy - indoor pool, kids' club, beach volleyball, table tennis and more
- Relax and enjoy the fabulous spa services and all massage treatment rooms
- Elegant and modern restaurants offering international, seafood, French, Moroccan and Italian cuisines
The ideal luxury hideaway for rich Moroccan culture with a dash of coastal recreation and sun-seeking pleasures.
- All rooms come equipped with satellite TV and Wi-Fi Internet access
- The So Lounge, Bar & Restaurant has separate sections with a DJ, live music, contemporary Moroccan cuisine and Zen calm and comfort private boxes
- Great for sport lovers, with kayaking, tennis, table tennis, volleyball, windsurfing and more available
Travel through the wonderful winelands region of South Africa before a short stay in a fully-equipped Dubai city hotel
- Doubletree by Hilton Al Barsha is set in Dubai's Al Barsha area, close to world-class shops, restaurants and popular Dubai attractions, just behind the Mall of The Emirates.
- Rental car included for the tour of South Africa
- Travel through the Winelands and Cape Peninsula in one of the most beautiful areas of the world
Go for the experience of lifetime on this self-driven Kruger route - a classical tour that offers something for everyone with magical views along the way.
- The package includes accommodation in carefully selected 4* properties, meals as well as car hire including a GPS during your entire journey
- The tour is 7 nights and 8 days long with insights into the history of South Africa, cultural diversity, adventure, scenic beauty and unforgettable safaris
- Enjoy 4 game drives including morning and afternoon safaris to see elephants, leopards, lions, rhinos, cheetahs, hippos and many more animals
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
Tour Summary South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
A charming little retreat right at the heart of Tunis, Le Pacha is centrally located to give you easy access to all of...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Situated outside the city in a quiet and uplifting location by the seaside, the Ezzahra Dar Tunis enjoys a wonderfully...