Discover Mexico family destinations off the beaten path
The Huffington Post has highlighted a list of underrated destinations in Mexico that will take travellers away from crowded resorts and on a journey through the country's culture and heritage. From coastal towns and historic cities, to Mayan museums, live music and art, there's something to suit all ages.
The Huffington Post has unveiled a number of underrated holiday destinations in Mexico that take travellers off the beaten track to the country's lesser known and uncrowded cities, towns and coastal resorts.
These carefully selected destinations highlight some of the most impressive elements that conform the rich cultural kaleidoscope that is Mexico.
See below Huffington Post top's 5 family destinations off the beaten path in Mexico:
Bacalar, Quintana Roo
Home to thatched-roof buildings amid tropical jungle, this Caribbean village boasts the Lago de Seis Colores (Lake of Seven Colours) and the Museum of Pirates inside the San Felipe Fort. Travellers can also visit the nearby Mayan ruins in Becan, Chicanna, Chacchoben, and Kohunlich.
Campeche City, Campeche
Once the home of wealthy Spanish families during the 18th and 19th centuries, Campeche City was also a key site for native Mayans before the arrival of European settlers. The city has beautiful baroque architecture and cobblestone streets, and at the Museo de la Arquitectura Maya (Museum of Mayan Architecture), tourists can learn about the architectural design of the nearby temples such as the Edzna Archaeological Site.
La Paz, Baja California
Situated off the Sea of Cortes, this city is relaxed and calm. There's a Malecon boardwalk and collection of beaches where holidaymakers can enjoy whale watching, kayaking, and scuba diving. Velazco Gardens is the city's main square and home to historical buildings including the Catedral de Nuestra Senora de la Paz and the old Palacio del Gobierno.
Merida is Yucatan's capital and a popular destination with holidaymakers who are keen to explore the culture and history of Mexico. The Anthropology Museum boasts a small collection of Mayan artefacts, and the Museum of the City documents the changes the city has gone through over the decades. Families will love the Parque Centenario with a free zoo, miniature train ride and playground.
This laidback town is bustling with live street musicians and a vibrant arts scene. There are many galleries and cultural sites, and the Plaza of San Pancho features local vendors selling handicrafts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...