Discover Mexico family destinations off the beaten path
The Huffington Post has highlighted a list of underrated destinations in Mexico that will take travellers away from crowded resorts and on a journey through the country's culture and heritage. From coastal towns and historic cities, to Mayan museums, live music and art, there's something to suit all ages.
The Huffington Post has unveiled a number of underrated holiday destinations in Mexico that take travellers off the beaten track to the country's lesser known and uncrowded cities, towns and coastal resorts.
These carefully selected destinations highlight some of the most impressive elements that conform the rich cultural kaleidoscope that is Mexico.
See below Huffington Post top's 5 family destinations off the beaten path in Mexico:
Bacalar, Quintana Roo
Home to thatched-roof buildings amid tropical jungle, this Caribbean village boasts the Lago de Seis Colores (Lake of Seven Colours) and the Museum of Pirates inside the San Felipe Fort. Travellers can also visit the nearby Mayan ruins in Becan, Chicanna, Chacchoben, and Kohunlich.
Campeche City, Campeche
Once the home of wealthy Spanish families during the 18th and 19th centuries, Campeche City was also a key site for native Mayans before the arrival of European settlers. The city has beautiful baroque architecture and cobblestone streets, and at the Museo de la Arquitectura Maya (Museum of Mayan Architecture), tourists can learn about the architectural design of the nearby temples such as the Edzna Archaeological Site.
La Paz, Baja California
Situated off the Sea of Cortes, this city is relaxed and calm. There's a Malecon boardwalk and collection of beaches where holidaymakers can enjoy whale watching, kayaking, and scuba diving. Velazco Gardens is the city's main square and home to historical buildings including the Catedral de Nuestra Senora de la Paz and the old Palacio del Gobierno.
Merida is Yucatan's capital and a popular destination with holidaymakers who are keen to explore the culture and history of Mexico. The Anthropology Museum boasts a small collection of Mayan artefacts, and the Museum of the City documents the changes the city has gone through over the decades. Families will love the Parque Centenario with a free zoo, miniature train ride and playground.
This laidback town is bustling with live street musicians and a vibrant arts scene. There are many galleries and cultural sites, and the Plaza of San Pancho features local vendors selling handicrafts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- Adults only resort just 20 minutes from the airport and the nightlife of Cancun 15 miles away
- Enjoy one of the various treatments on offer at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Kids can Stay, Play and Eat free at Moon Palace when travelling from 1st June to 31st August 2016 & October Half Term (17th - 31st October 2016)
- Moon Spa & Golf Club is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...