Discover Mexico family destinations off the beaten path
The Huffington Post has highlighted a list of underrated destinations in Mexico that will take travellers away from crowded resorts and on a journey through the country's culture and heritage. From coastal towns and historic cities, to Mayan museums, live music and art, there's something to suit all ages.
The Huffington Post has unveiled a number of underrated holiday destinations in Mexico that take travellers off the beaten track to the country's lesser known and uncrowded cities, towns and coastal resorts.
These carefully selected destinations highlight some of the most impressive elements that conform the rich cultural kaleidoscope that is Mexico.
See below Huffington Post top's 5 family destinations off the beaten path in Mexico:
Bacalar, Quintana Roo
Home to thatched-roof buildings amid tropical jungle, this Caribbean village boasts the Lago de Seis Colores (Lake of Seven Colours) and the Museum of Pirates inside the San Felipe Fort. Travellers can also visit the nearby Mayan ruins in Becan, Chicanna, Chacchoben, and Kohunlich.
Campeche City, Campeche
Once the home of wealthy Spanish families during the 18th and 19th centuries, Campeche City was also a key site for native Mayans before the arrival of European settlers. The city has beautiful baroque architecture and cobblestone streets, and at the Museo de la Arquitectura Maya (Museum of Mayan Architecture), tourists can learn about the architectural design of the nearby temples such as the Edzna Archaeological Site.
La Paz, Baja California
Situated off the Sea of Cortes, this city is relaxed and calm. There's a Malecon boardwalk and collection of beaches where holidaymakers can enjoy whale watching, kayaking, and scuba diving. Velazco Gardens is the city's main square and home to historical buildings including the Catedral de Nuestra Senora de la Paz and the old Palacio del Gobierno.
Merida is Yucatan's capital and a popular destination with holidaymakers who are keen to explore the culture and history of Mexico. The Anthropology Museum boasts a small collection of Mayan artefacts, and the Museum of the City documents the changes the city has gone through over the decades. Families will love the Parque Centenario with a free zoo, miniature train ride and playground.
This laidback town is bustling with live street musicians and a vibrant arts scene. There are many galleries and cultural sites, and the Plaza of San Pancho features local vendors selling handicrafts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Live it up and Experience Cancun in unlimited luxury that knows no bounds at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort and Spa
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Rejuvenate in a peaceful and soothing atmosphere during a memorable holiday at the all-inclusive Gran Caribe Resort and...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...