Vietnam working towards boosting arrivals
Officials in Vietnam are working hard to boost its flagging tourism industry, which has been impacted by a territorial dispute with China as well as Russia's economic slowdown. Key measures taken include, promotional campaigns and a reduction in the visa fees.
In an effort to boost arrivals to Vietnam from key source markets, officials have been putting steps in place including the launch of a new promotional video highlighting some of Vietnam's top attractions along with a bit of insight into the country's culture and people.
Notably the video, released by the Vietnamese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, was narrated in a range of languages including English, French, Russian, Spanish and German. The move comes as officials in Vietnam have been grappling with a drop in the number of travellers visiting Vietnam. The decline in arrivals has been attributed to Russia's economic crisis as well as the fallout of a territorial dispute with China, one of Vietnam's largest source markets, in the second half of 2014.
In addition to the promotional video, other efforts to market Vietnam to key source markets this year include increased marketing activities such as participation in tourism expos, roadshows and international advertising as well as the establishing of overseas tourism offices and improved service training.
Most notably, officials at the Ministry of Finance also recently announced a reduction in the visa fees for foreign nationals from $45 to $25 for single entries and from $95 to $50 for multiple entries. The reduction in the cost of the fees, which will take effect from the 23rd November 2015, comes after officials extended Vietnam's visa waiver programme in July to a total of 22 ASEAN and European countries. The move is said to be an effort to increase Vietnam's competitiveness in the region bringing its fees in line with its regional peers.
Arrivals in the first nine months of 2015 at 5.68 million represent a 5.9 per cent reduction year-on-year. Officials and key stakeholders recognize that there is a lot of ground to cover if the Southeast Asian country hopes to achieve its target of 8.5 million arrivals in 2015 and an 8 per cent annual growth. However, many are hopeful that the steps taken will reverse the protracted downward trend and inject new life into Vietnam's struggling tourism industry.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Vietnam Browse all
A fantastic value trip, exploring Vietnam's most iconic cities and natural wonders with added downtime to relax on the beach
- English-speaking guides and entrance fees included
- Extend your holiday with a break in Cambodia or on the beaches of Phu Quoc
- Day cruise on Halong Bay with lunch included
An indepth exploration of Vietnam taking in Saigon, the Mekong Delta, Hoi An, Hue and Hanoi with time left over to relax on the beach
- Overnight cruise on a traditional Junk boat on Halong Bay with meals included
- Time to relax on the picturesque beaches of central Vietnam
- Local guides in each destination and entrance fees for all included sightseeing
Experience all the natural beauty and cultural variety of Vietnam on a deluxe tour
- Five-star hotels throughout
- Overnight Halong Bay cruise on a traditionally designed junk boat with meals included
- Time to relax on the stunning beaches of central Vietnam
Explore the most iconic sites of Indochina during the unforgettable Highlights of Indochina, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos - Deluxe Tour
You will visit historical sites of Vietnam, discover the heritage of Laos, and explore the beautiful Angkor Complex in Cambodia.
- Tour around Ben Tre River in Vietnam and enjoy a variety of activities, including a visit to any of coconut processing workshops and riding a motocart through rice fields and vegetable plains.
- Watch the sun rise over the blue waters of tranquil Halong Bay, and then cruise through emerald waters of the Gulf of Tonkin.
- Participate in Baci Ceremony, an integral part of the Laos culture, and explore the Luang Prabang Night Market with its handmade textiles and local street food
Exotic and compelling, Vietnam is one of the most remarkable travel destinations in the world. Take in all the classics...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches and the best preserved old towns in...
See all the most iconic sights of Indochina on this trip of a lifetime through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Explore the...
The Merperle Sea Sun hotel is set in the heart of the picturesque seaside city, Nha Trang. Surrounded on all three...
Discover the beauty of a superb Sandy Beach Non Nuoc Resort Danang, located by the pristine stretch of beach and...