Vietnam working towards boosting arrivals
Officials in Vietnam are working hard to boost its flagging tourism industry, which has been impacted by a territorial dispute with China as well as Russia's economic slowdown. Key measures taken include, promotional campaigns and a reduction in the visa fees.
In an effort to boost arrivals to Vietnam from key source markets, officials have been putting steps in place including the launch of a new promotional video highlighting some of Vietnam's top attractions along with a bit of insight into the country's culture and people.
Notably the video, released by the Vietnamese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, was narrated in a range of languages including English, French, Russian, Spanish and German. The move comes as officials in Vietnam have been grappling with a drop in the number of travellers visiting Vietnam. The decline in arrivals has been attributed to Russia's economic crisis as well as the fallout of a territorial dispute with China, one of Vietnam's largest source markets, in the second half of 2014.
In addition to the promotional video, other efforts to market Vietnam to key source markets this year include increased marketing activities such as participation in tourism expos, roadshows and international advertising as well as the establishing of overseas tourism offices and improved service training.
Most notably, officials at the Ministry of Finance also recently announced a reduction in the visa fees for foreign nationals from $45 to $25 for single entries and from $95 to $50 for multiple entries. The reduction in the cost of the fees, which will take effect from the 23rd November 2015, comes after officials extended Vietnam's visa waiver programme in July to a total of 22 ASEAN and European countries. The move is said to be an effort to increase Vietnam's competitiveness in the region bringing its fees in line with its regional peers.
Arrivals in the first nine months of 2015 at 5.68 million represent a 5.9 per cent reduction year-on-year. Officials and key stakeholders recognize that there is a lot of ground to cover if the Southeast Asian country hopes to achieve its target of 8.5 million arrivals in 2015 and an 8 per cent annual growth. However, many are hopeful that the steps taken will reverse the protracted downward trend and inject new life into Vietnam's struggling tourism industry.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Vietnam Browse all
Feel at one with the surroundings at the beautiful Mango Bay Resort
- Mango Bay has been supporting wildlife at risk (WAR) since 2006, and has even discovered many new species on Phu Quoc Island
- Revitalise your mind, body and spirit with Yoga and Tai Chi on the beach
- Snorkel and scuba dive around the nearby islands with Flipper Diving Club and discover the truly stunning and beautiful world underwater
Theme park Excitement for the whole family at vinpearl phu quoc resort and golf
- With over 2000 rare animals representing more than 130 species, Vinpearl Safari is the largest open-range Safari park in Veitnam
- Take advantage of the local tourist markets, where you can test your bartering skills
- Vinpearl Land Phu Quoc, an amazing theme park designed to entertain the whole family
Combining exciting excursions and activities with the stunning heritage sites of central Vietnam, this trip has it all
Enjoy a beach side retreat with a variety of exciting activities that is also surrounded by three incredible UNESCO sites in the Da Nang area of Vietnam
- Stunning beachside accommodation with a modern Asian influence
- Golf courses designed by golfing legends and professionals a matter of minutes from the resort
- Resort activities including jet skiing, ocean kayaking, Tai Chi and many more
Get under the skin of Vietnam with an adventurous tour taking in the classic sights as well as getting off the beaten track
- Overnight train to Sapa - hike through the hills and meet remote communities
- Overnight cruise down the Mekong River on a converted rice barge with all modern amenities
- Spend the night in Halong Bay and see the sun rise over the remarkable karst landscape (includes meals)
Located on the stunning Bai Dai beach, Vinpearl Phu Quoc Resort and Golf has it all to make your holiday unforgettable,...
Exotic and compelling, Vietnam is one of the most remarkable travel destinations in the world. Take in all the classics...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches and the best preserved old towns in...
See all the most iconic sights of Indochina on this trip of a lifetime through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Explore the...
The Merperle Sea Sun hotel is set in the heart of the picturesque seaside city, Nha Trang. Surrounded on all three...