Costa Rica opens new earthquake tour to attract holidaymakers
Tour companies in Costa Rica are using earthquakes to attract more holidaymakers with interactive tours. Magmatica, an educational tour company, has launched tours in Cartago, Costa Rica's old capital, which explore the county's natural history, geography and relationship with volcanoes, as well as an earthquake simulation.
Costa Rica is using earthquakes to lure holidaymakers through new interactive tours that delve into the history and geography of the country.
The educational tour company, Magmatica, has launched tours that take tourists on a journey through the natural history and geography of Costa Rica, and explores it history and close proximity to some of the world's most disastrous earthquakes.
Taking place in Costa Rica's former capital Cartago, just 16 miles away from San Jose, the tour was officially opened by officials from the Tourism Ministry and representatives from the Education Ministry, National Emergency Commission and Volcanological and the Seismological Observatory.
The tour costs $15 for adults and $10 for children and features educational videos and exhibits. At the end, there will be an earthquake simulation that will recreate some of Central America's most historic natural disasters including the 8.8-magnitude earthquake in Chile in 2010.
Marcela Calvo, the President of Magmatica, explained:
"Approximately two years ago, we were thinking that Cartago needed something different and complementary to its existing tourist attractions. We also wanted to offer fun and education to both national and international visitors.
"We have become a desirable tourist destination in the world, and it's because of our natural and cultural beauty. With Magmatica, we put these elements together."
As well as entertaining holidaymakers, one of the main aims of the project is to promote awareness of earthquakes and encourage people to take preventative measures in communities and homes.
Magmatica also has a restaurant that serves traditional Costa Rican dishes, a miniature football field, and a gift shop for travellers visiting Cartago.
"Tourism is really important for Cartago. It is an element that we haven't developed in a strong way. That's why the Cartago Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Tourism, in conjunction with the Municipality of Cartago and other actors, are pursuing a strategy to explore all of the beauties of Cartago."
Concluded Cartago's Mayor Rolando Rodriguez.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco-tourist's dream destination
- Experience canopy walkways through a bridge system and marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- Explore San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your immersive tour
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...