Abu Dhabi's Louvre opening delayed until 2016
The opening of the Louvre museum in Abu Dhabi has been pushed back until 2016 due to a delay in building work. The iconic museum was originally scheduled to open in 2012 but that was delayed until this year. Now, holidaymakers will have to wait until late 2016 until they can visit the Louvre on the Saadiyat Island.
The opening of the Louvre museum in Abu Dhabi has been delayed once again due to problems with building work.
Originally scheduled to open to the public in 2012, the launch was then delayed to this year. However, according to the chairman of state-owned Tourism Development and Investment Company (TDIC), Majed al Mansoori, the museum needs more building work and is not expected to open until late 2016.
Mr Mansoori explained in an email:
"Attention will now turn to the remaining work on the underside of the cladding and the Louvre Abu Dhabi remains on track for opening in the second half of 2016."
Though reasons were not given for the delay in building work on the $650 million project, the United Arab Emirates is experiencing a building boom which has led to a bottleneck as construction companies seek labourers, supplies and financing to complete huge backlogs of work.
The Louvre is part of a cultural district in Abu Dhabi that is being developed by the TDIC. It will feature branches of the Louvre and Guggenheim museums, and the Zayed National Museum.
The Guggenheim and Louvre museums will be built on the Saadiyat Island in Abu Dhabi. Located 500m of the coast of the mainland, Saadiyat Island is a world class leisure, residential, business and tourism hub.
The natural island will be home to luxury hotels, iconic landmarks, more than three million square metres of office space, marinas with berths for up to 1,000 boats, two championship golf courses, civic and leisure facilities, and sea-view apartments and upscale villas.
Situated on 27 square-kilometres of land, Saadiyat Island will feature seven districts and will be completed in phases up until 2020. One completed, over 160,000 people are expected to live there all year round, along with the thousands of international travellers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Abu Dhabi Browse all
For the ultimate golf experience in Abu Dhabi, stay at a luxurious hotel with all the trimmings that sits right next to a championship golf course
- Upgrade and experience Ferrari World - The largest indoor and first theme park on Yas Island
- Taka advantage of the golf at the 18-Hole championship Yas Links Golf Course
- A few minutes' walk from the exciting Yas Waterworld & Yas Island Beach
Enjoy a special break in Abu Dhabi, that comes complete with great shopping, a fabulous beach and spa club, and all at an affordable price.
- Choose from 15 award winning restaurants and bars including a famous Jazz Bar
- one of the biggest private beach streches in Abu Dhabi
- Facilities include Swimming pool, tennis courts and selection of watersports
Indulge yourself in endless luxury at the fabulous Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi Grand Canal
- unique shuttle boat to the famous souqs
- fabulous location in the heart of Abu Dhabi with great views of Abu Dhabi's landmark the mosque
- one of the best kids clubs in Abu Dhabi
- amazing culinary experience with 10 restaurants to choose from
Unwind and be pampered at a luxurious beachside retreat in the golden shores of the Arabian Gulf, on Abu Dhabi's Corniche.
- Complimentary shuttle transfer to the Dubai Parks & Resorts themepark. Buy your tickets with us!
- Upgrade your experience and book a room including tickets to Ferrari World or Yas Waterworld
- Up to two kids stay FREE
- Direct connection to Al Raha Mall for the perfect shopping experience
Discover the hidden treasure in Abu Dhabi that is Crowne Plaza in Yas Island. It is the ideal accommodation for those...
Get away from all your concerns and enjoy a tranquil 4-day stay at the luxurious Beach Rotana Hotel & Towers whilst you...
Acquaint yourself with the luxurious Abu Dhabi lifestyle during a comfy 5-day stay at the Al Raha Beach Hotel....
The Ramada Abu Dhabi Corniche is a stunning new property ideally located in the heart of Abu Dhabi. Enjoy beautiful...
Located at an altitude of 915 metres on Hafeet Mountain, this unique mountain oasis resort will make guests feel on top...