British Airways to operate direct flight between London and Costa Rica
British Airways has announced that it will offer direct flights to San Jose, Costa Rica from London Gatwick airport from May 2016. Costa Rica is becoming an increasing popular holiday destination for Britons thanks to its combination of rainforests, volcanoes, beaches and its biodiversity all of which have served to boosted its profile as a top eco-friendly holiday destination.
From May 2016 British Airways will operate direct flights between London Gatwick Airport (LGW) and San Jose International (SJO), Costa Rica.
During the summer months the flights will operate twice weekly and for those holidaymakers craving a sunny winter break, British Airways will increase the frequency to three times per week.
Colm Lacy, British Airways' Head of Commercial - Gatwick stated the following of his firm's decision to add the route:
"Adding Costa Rica to our wide range of flights from Gatwick boosts our network and gives customers an even greater choice of diverse destinations. We're very excited to have the opportunity to fly nonstop between London and San Jose and we're sure this route will prove very popular with those looking for a holiday that's definitely out of the ordinary."
Indeed Costa Rica has proven to be an increasingly popular holiday destination among Britons and is considered to be one of the top destinations for travellers keen on eco-friendly holidays. Costa Rica's rainforests boast of a wide array of wildlife and along with its volcanic peaks they make for a truly rewarding hiking adventure.
The Costa Rican beaches are also key attractions and with as many as 300 different beaches there is something for everyone. From surfers to swimmers there is the perfect beach with both rocky beaches and sandy beaches ranging from white to black sand.
The Costa Rican Minister of Tourism, Mauricio Ventura noted that over the past year the number of arrivals to Costa Rica from the UK increased by 12.9 per cent and with the average stay lasting up to two weeks, UK holidaymakers are making a valuable contribution to the Costa Rican tourism industry and the wider economy.
Notably, British Airways is not the only UK based airline to acknowledge Costa Rica's potential as Thomson Airways also announced that they would offer direct flights to Costa Rica as early as November 2015.
Director of Product for Thomson and First Choice, Mark Hall stated:
"We're thrilled to be launching Costa Rica as a new destination for holidaymakers and it is fantastic to be offering the only direct flight from the UK on our Dreamliner. It's an amazing country, with some really experiential excursions as well as great hotels."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
Surrounding the resort is an up-and-coming surf community, which offers guests with a variety of exciting tours and excursions
- Explorer's Club for kids and Core Zone for teens, while adults can relax by the poolside, enjoy a romantic dinner by the beach or unwind at Dreams Spa by Pevonia
- Perfect location to enjoy nature at its finest, a country renowned for its beaches, volcanoes, and biodiversity
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury; gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more all included
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your immersive tour
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...