Google to launch balloons that will provide Sri Lanka with high-speed internet access
Google is planning to provide Sri Lanka with high speed internet access using stratospheric balloons. Project Loon has been testing technology for two years that uses the balloons to transmit signals to the ground and provide high-speed internet coverage all over the country, including rural locations.
Sri Lanka could become the first country in the world to have universal internet coverage, thanks to a new project launched by Google.
After two years of testing its technology, Google will launch Project Loon that uses stratospheric balloons to transmit signals to the ground and provide high-speed internet across Sri Lanka.
The Foreign Minister of Sri Lanka, Mangala Samaraweera, said that Google will start releasing the balloons over the next few months until March next year. Each balloon can operate for 100 days and local internet providers will be able to use the connection to lower operational costs and pass those reductions on to local customers.
The technology allows even remote locations to receive internet coverage and if successful, Project Loon will be deployed in even bigger countries.
Sri Lanka is an island nation located in the Indian Ocean that is renowned for its stunning natural scenery and diverse ecosystem that is made up of miles of unspoilt sandy beaches, soaring mountains, thriving wildlife sanctuaries, verdant nature parks, and an array of heritage sites which that ancient cities and colonial forts.
Since the end of its 25-year-long conflict in 2009, the island has seen a much-needed boost in the number of tourists as travellers regain confidence in safe travel to the island. Over the last few years, the state-run Sri Lanka Tourism Authority has been working hard to promote the country as a safe tourist destination throughout many countries across the world.
With eight UNESCO World Heritage Sites including ancient cities such as Anuradhapura, which was founded in the 4th century BC lay hidden for years in a thick jungle, Sri Lanka has become a popular destination for tourists seeking sun and culture. The city’s palaces, temples and monuments provide a fantastic insight into Sri Lanka’s ancient heritage.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a relaxing stay in an ideal setting surrounded by lush frangipanis, swaying palms and the glistening blue waters of Bentota's beaches.
- Discover Sri Lanka's cultural wonders from a soothing luxury retreat oozing 18th century charm
- Bask in acres of lush gardens framed by frangipani trees and facing a secluded golden sand beach
- Be wowed by the Dine by Design concept, allowing you to eat out in an array of scenic settings
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka and beach Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than the Sri Lankan town...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...