St Lucia reports record visitor numbers
The Caribbean island of St Lucia has reported its highest ever visitor numbers in the first half of this year. Official figures reveal a 6.4% increase over the same period in 2014, slightly more than the Caribbean's regional average.
St Lucia has received a record-breaking number of visitors in the first half of this year, according to official figures. Compared to last year, there was more than a 6% increase in travellers staying on the island, slightly higher than the growth in visitor numbers to the Caribbean region as a whole.
The Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO) announced that visitor arrivals to the region were up 6% at the end of the first quarter of 2015, while St Lucia alone recorded 6.4% growth on the same period last year.
This growth has continued past the first quarter for Saint Lucia however, with a 1.4% and 7.2% increase recorded in April and May respectively. At the end of the first five months of the year, total stay-over arrivals to the island numbered 159,077 – up 5.5% from the same period in 2014.
The figures recorded in the first four consecutive months were the highest for January to April ever recorded in the island’s history. But in May, St Lucia only achieved a five-year high in visitor numbers, with 29,658 people coming to the island. Cruise tourism is also on the rise, with a 9% increase in arrivals between January and April, following a 4% increase in cruise calls.
The St Lucia Tourism Board has attributed the rise in travellers to St Lucia to an increase in airlift from the US and Canada, and strategic marketing. But the largest chunk of overseas visitors to the island came from the Caribbean region itself, which stood at 22,142 arrivals at the end of May – a 21% increase from the same period last year. Improved data collection, such as recording boat arrivals from Martinique, may account for some of the increase in data for regional visits.
The latest statistics show that the European share of the market has decreased, with less travellers coming from the UK and Germany, along with other European countries. Targeted promotions and marketing campaigns planned for later this year should result in increased arrivals from Europe before the year of 2015, according to St Lucia’s tourist board.
St Lucia’s tourism minister, Lorne Theophilus, told a news conference that “as impressive as the growth performance figures were, there will be no letup in St Lucia’s push toward reenergizing and invigorating the international marketplace via well-orchestrated strategies in key source markets.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Discover ocean Views and St Lucian magic In Morgan Bay with a FREE room upgrade and HALF price accomodation
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystal-clear water of the Caribbean Sea at St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- Children stay and eat FREE when sharing with 2 adults!
- A selection of complimentary activities available, Non-motorised water sports including: windsurfing, hobbie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
- 4 restaurants and 4 bars to suit every taste on your All Inclusive stay!
- Summer just got better with savings of up to 50% plus a FREE ROOM UPGRADE in selected rooms
Enjoy your stay in St Lucia's only resort with the iconic view of both Pitons mountains as they rise in splendour from the azure Caribbean Sea
- St. Lucia's only resort with the iconic view of both the Piti & Gros Piton mountains floating upon the Caribbean Sea
- A private estate of 600 lush tropical acres bordering two soft-sand Caribbean beaches with unspoiled coral reefs just offshore
- Perfect resort for travelling divers - PADI Dive Center available
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Exclusive offer: Massive Savings of upto £750 per person!
- Recently refurbished, including the addition of a new "toes in the sand" restaurant
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
The Hidden Gem Hideaway that offers the ultimate St Lucia experience at Marigot Bay Resort & Marina by Capella Hotel Group
- Book now and receive a FREE upgrade
- Boutique hotel hidden away in marigot bay
- Lush gardens and wonderful views of the marina
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Find peace and quiet as you enjoy the astounding natural beauty which surrounds the Marigot Bay hotel during an 8-day...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Turn your dream of a Caribbean holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world. Come...