St Lucia reports record visitor numbers
The Caribbean island of St Lucia has reported its highest ever visitor numbers in the first half of this year. Official figures reveal a 6.4% increase over the same period in 2014, slightly more than the Caribbean's regional average.
St Lucia has received a record-breaking number of visitors in the first half of this year, according to official figures. Compared to last year, there was more than a 6% increase in travellers staying on the island, slightly higher than the growth in visitor numbers to the Caribbean region as a whole.
The Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO) announced that visitor arrivals to the region were up 6% at the end of the first quarter of 2015, while St Lucia alone recorded 6.4% growth on the same period last year.
This growth has continued past the first quarter for Saint Lucia however, with a 1.4% and 7.2% increase recorded in April and May respectively. At the end of the first five months of the year, total stay-over arrivals to the island numbered 159,077 – up 5.5% from the same period in 2014.
The figures recorded in the first four consecutive months were the highest for January to April ever recorded in the island’s history. But in May, St Lucia only achieved a five-year high in visitor numbers, with 29,658 people coming to the island. Cruise tourism is also on the rise, with a 9% increase in arrivals between January and April, following a 4% increase in cruise calls.
The St Lucia Tourism Board has attributed the rise in travellers to St Lucia to an increase in airlift from the US and Canada, and strategic marketing. But the largest chunk of overseas visitors to the island came from the Caribbean region itself, which stood at 22,142 arrivals at the end of May – a 21% increase from the same period last year. Improved data collection, such as recording boat arrivals from Martinique, may account for some of the increase in data for regional visits.
The latest statistics show that the European share of the market has decreased, with less travellers coming from the UK and Germany, along with other European countries. Targeted promotions and marketing campaigns planned for later this year should result in increased arrivals from Europe before the year of 2015, according to St Lucia’s tourist board.
St Lucia’s tourism minister, Lorne Theophilus, told a news conference that “as impressive as the growth performance figures were, there will be no letup in St Lucia’s push toward reenergizing and invigorating the international marketplace via well-orchestrated strategies in key source markets.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Treat yourself to the ultimate Caribbean getaway staying on the stunning beachfront of Reduit Beach, right at the centre of everything and close to the lively strip of Rodney Bay.
- Take advantage of the on-site facilities including a spa, fitness centre and beauty salon
- Located on Reduit Beach, known for its island setting and breathtaking views
- Complimentary Hi-Speed internet access in rooms and free Wi-Fi in all public areas including the beach
Bask upon the glorious white sands of Reduit Beach
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Save up to a fantastic 60%!! and the 1st Child STAYS FREE plus 50% for Christmas & New Year
- Please note hotel is closed for renovations on 1st-30th September 17
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Enjoy FREE $500 resort credit when staying a minimum of 7 nights to be used on tours, spa treatments, photography services and the in resort boutique
- Enjoy complimentary round trip transfers from Hewanorra International Airport
Discover Castries' lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant or enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort & Spa
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of upto 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
- Enjoy HALF PRICE luxury accommodation plus an extra £55 off booking bonus with 'The Sandals Upto 60% off SALE’
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Turn your dream of a Caribbean holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world. Come...