Egypt extends tourist opening hours at archaeological sites and museums
The Ministry of Tourism in Egypt has announced that the opening times of many archaeological sites in Luxor and Aswan have been extended. In an effort to boost cultural tourism in Egypt, a lighting project has been completed at many popular sites that enables tourists to visit at night during the summer and winter.
Tourists will now be able to visit many of Egypt's archaeological sites at night following the completion of a new lighting project.
The Ministry of Tourism of Egypt announced that opening hours of sites at the Valley of the Kings and Queens, Hatshepsut Temple, the Ramesseum and Luxor Temple will be open from 6am to 11pm during the summer period and 6am to 9pm during the winter.
In a effort to boost cultural tourism in Egypt and attract more tourists to Luxor and Aswan, the Ministry of Antiquities agreed to extend the sites' opening hours from 22nd July, 2015.
Egyptair Express has also announced plans to launch new domestic services between the popular Red Sea resorts of Sharm El Sheikh (SSH) and Hurghada (HRG) from 15th August, 2015.
The airline will operate the flights three times a week on Sundays, Tuesday, and Thursdays. The company also operates 77 flights a week from Cairo to Sharm El Sheikh, and 62 weekly flights from Cairo to Hurghada.
Each year, millions of international tourists travel to Egypt to explore the country's incredible historical offerings. Holidaymakers can take cruises up the River Nile and visit ancient temples such as the Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple, and Valley of the Kings. The renowned pyramids can be found in Giza on the outskirts of Cairo, and the largest Egyptian pyramid is the Pyramid of Khufu. Additional ancient sites include the Medinet Habu, the Tombs of the Nobles, and the Ramesseum Temple.
Scuba diving and snorkelling enthusiasts can enjoy excellent conditions in Red Sea resorts such as Sharm el Sheikh and Hurghada, where there are also a large number of luxury Egypt hotels and resorts.
The country has experienced political unrest over the past few years, following the overthrow of President Mohamed Morsi, which led to a decline in international tourist numbers, but the government and tourism ministers have been working hard to encourage more travellers through global tourism campaigns.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
This boutique Nile Cruise combines old-world charm and sophistication with the luxury of modern amenities.
- With a limited number of suites and cabins this cruise offers an intimate and exclusive atmosphere of personal service and refined hospitality
- Unwind at the open-air oriental style Jacuzzi or chill in the elegant lounge
- Work on your tan from the spacious, scenic deck as you see 5,000 years of history unfold
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...