Egypt extends tourist opening hours at archaeological sites and museums
The Ministry of Tourism in Egypt has announced that the opening times of many archaeological sites in Luxor and Aswan have been extended. In an effort to boost cultural tourism in Egypt, a lighting project has been completed at many popular sites that enables tourists to visit at night during the summer and winter.
Tourists will now be able to visit many of Egypt's archaeological sites at night following the completion of a new lighting project.
The Ministry of Tourism of Egypt announced that opening hours of sites at the Valley of the Kings and Queens, Hatshepsut Temple, the Ramesseum and Luxor Temple will be open from 6am to 11pm during the summer period and 6am to 9pm during the winter.
In a effort to boost cultural tourism in Egypt and attract more tourists to Luxor and Aswan, the Ministry of Antiquities agreed to extend the sites' opening hours from 22nd July, 2015.
Egyptair Express has also announced plans to launch new domestic services between the popular Red Sea resorts of Sharm El Sheikh (SSH) and Hurghada (HRG) from 15th August, 2015.
The airline will operate the flights three times a week on Sundays, Tuesday, and Thursdays. The company also operates 77 flights a week from Cairo to Sharm El Sheikh, and 62 weekly flights from Cairo to Hurghada.
Each year, millions of international tourists travel to Egypt to explore the country's incredible historical offerings. Holidaymakers can take cruises up the River Nile and visit ancient temples such as the Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple, and Valley of the Kings. The renowned pyramids can be found in Giza on the outskirts of Cairo, and the largest Egyptian pyramid is the Pyramid of Khufu. Additional ancient sites include the Medinet Habu, the Tombs of the Nobles, and the Ramesseum Temple.
Scuba diving and snorkelling enthusiasts can enjoy excellent conditions in Red Sea resorts such as Sharm el Sheikh and Hurghada, where there are also a large number of luxury Egypt hotels and resorts.
The country has experienced political unrest over the past few years, following the overthrow of President Mohamed Morsi, which led to a decline in international tourist numbers, but the government and tourism ministers have been working hard to encourage more travellers through global tourism campaigns.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
The ultimate Egyptian backdrop in the shadow of the only remaining ancient wonder of the world.
- Indulge the mind, body and spirit in Indulge spa. Take advantage of the steam room, sauna, whirlpool and chill out zones
- Set in landscaped gardens, equipped with two heated swimming pools and bar, Le Meridien enjoys spectacular views of the Pyramids, just a short drive from Cairo
- World famous dining with international, Mexican and Oriental menus to be savoured
Enjoy a fun-filled stay on King's Island in the Nile River, with plenty of activities on offer at the hotel as well as being only a 10 minute drive away from Luxor downtown
- Cocktails, beverages and light meals are served in the lounge and drinks on deck until sun set
- Great selection of bars and restaurants, with everything from buffet to fine French cuisine, plus the Fellah Tent provides an overview of Oriental traditions
- Leisure facilities include two large swimming pools with waterfalls, separate children's pool and an adults only pool, plus floodlit tennis courts, a jogging track, fishing, an air conditioned gym and more!
Stay in comfortable cabins with air-conditioning and elegant dining rooms
- Benefit from the fabulous view of karnak, valley of the kingsand the temple of Philae
- Never waste a minute of your holiday with all night entertainment like the belly dancing show and other typical Egyptian performances
- Enjoy the large sun deck with loungers and a swimming pool a massage service is also available on the sundeck
Now you can stop imagining how it would be to visit the cradle of mankind and paddle along the legendary River Nile and...
Venture to the land of the Pharaohs of yore for an unforgettable eight days of leisure and adventure. Luxor is one of...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...
Experience the thrill of a jaunt to the famous Valley of the Kings as you explore one of Egypt's touristic gems, Luxor....
Enjoying a central location in Luxor, directly on the banks of the Nile and within 10 min walking distance from Luxor...