Egypt extends tourist opening hours at archaeological sites and museums
The Ministry of Tourism in Egypt has announced that the opening times of many archaeological sites in Luxor and Aswan have been extended. In an effort to boost cultural tourism in Egypt, a lighting project has been completed at many popular sites that enables tourists to visit at night during the summer and winter.
Tourists will now be able to visit many of Egypt's archaeological sites at night following the completion of a new lighting project.
The Ministry of Tourism of Egypt announced that opening hours of sites at the Valley of the Kings and Queens, Hatshepsut Temple, the Ramesseum and Luxor Temple will be open from 6am to 11pm during the summer period and 6am to 9pm during the winter.
In a effort to boost cultural tourism in Egypt and attract more tourists to Luxor and Aswan, the Ministry of Antiquities agreed to extend the sites' opening hours from 22nd July, 2015.
Egyptair Express has also announced plans to launch new domestic services between the popular Red Sea resorts of Sharm El Sheikh (SSH) and Hurghada (HRG) from 15th August, 2015.
The airline will operate the flights three times a week on Sundays, Tuesday, and Thursdays. The company also operates 77 flights a week from Cairo to Sharm El Sheikh, and 62 weekly flights from Cairo to Hurghada.
Each year, millions of international tourists travel to Egypt to explore the country's incredible historical offerings. Holidaymakers can take cruises up the River Nile and visit ancient temples such as the Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple, and Valley of the Kings. The renowned pyramids can be found in Giza on the outskirts of Cairo, and the largest Egyptian pyramid is the Pyramid of Khufu. Additional ancient sites include the Medinet Habu, the Tombs of the Nobles, and the Ramesseum Temple.
Scuba diving and snorkelling enthusiasts can enjoy excellent conditions in Red Sea resorts such as Sharm el Sheikh and Hurghada, where there are also a large number of luxury Egypt hotels and resorts.
The country has experienced political unrest over the past few years, following the overthrow of President Mohamed Morsi, which led to a decline in international tourist numbers, but the government and tourism ministers have been working hard to encourage more travellers through global tourism campaigns.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports
The most popular choice for divers, snorkellers and water sports enthusiasts, this is a resort that has it all.
- Relax and spoil yourself at the health club with gym, steam room and sauna
- Benefit from the Kids' Club with daily activities, an entertainment centre and their own playground
- Ideal location beside a private beach just 15 minutes from Hurghada airport and 20 kilometres from the centre of Hurghada
The perfect escape for couples with exclusive added values not to be missed
- Enjoy a number of complimentary added value offers - must be booked by 15th January 2018
- Free room upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Suite
- Free Romantic Dinner for 2 plus a bottle of wine on Arrival
- Free upgrade to private transfers
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonder, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise from £199pp
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise
Discover Egypt's beautiful capital as you take a 15-day holiday at the amazing Sofitel El Gezirah hotel. Set on a small...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
Make the Egyptian city of Luxor your home for eight days as you discover the timeless treasures that make this country...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Cairo is a place of rich contrasts; a bustling metropolis which still hosts some of Egypt's most treasured historical...