Egypt extends tourist opening hours at archaeological sites and museums
The Ministry of Tourism in Egypt has announced that the opening times of many archaeological sites in Luxor and Aswan have been extended. In an effort to boost cultural tourism in Egypt, a lighting project has been completed at many popular sites that enables tourists to visit at night during the summer and winter.
Tourists will now be able to visit many of Egypt's archaeological sites at night following the completion of a new lighting project.
The Ministry of Tourism of Egypt announced that opening hours of sites at the Valley of the Kings and Queens, Hatshepsut Temple, the Ramesseum and Luxor Temple will be open from 6am to 11pm during the summer period and 6am to 9pm during the winter.
In a effort to boost cultural tourism in Egypt and attract more tourists to Luxor and Aswan, the Ministry of Antiquities agreed to extend the sites' opening hours from 22nd July, 2015.
Egyptair Express has also announced plans to launch new domestic services between the popular Red Sea resorts of Sharm El Sheikh (SSH) and Hurghada (HRG) from 15th August, 2015.
The airline will operate the flights three times a week on Sundays, Tuesday, and Thursdays. The company also operates 77 flights a week from Cairo to Sharm El Sheikh, and 62 weekly flights from Cairo to Hurghada.
Each year, millions of international tourists travel to Egypt to explore the country's incredible historical offerings. Holidaymakers can take cruises up the River Nile and visit ancient temples such as the Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple, and Valley of the Kings. The renowned pyramids can be found in Giza on the outskirts of Cairo, and the largest Egyptian pyramid is the Pyramid of Khufu. Additional ancient sites include the Medinet Habu, the Tombs of the Nobles, and the Ramesseum Temple.
Scuba diving and snorkelling enthusiasts can enjoy excellent conditions in Red Sea resorts such as Sharm el Sheikh and Hurghada, where there are also a large number of luxury Egypt hotels and resorts.
The country has experienced political unrest over the past few years, following the overthrow of President Mohamed Morsi, which led to a decline in international tourist numbers, but the government and tourism ministers have been working hard to encourage more travellers through global tourism campaigns.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
Ideal for those who love the sun and sea with its own private beach and marina, a professional diving centre, a water sports centre and swimming pools.
- A prime location, beside a lovely sandy beach, just minutes from buzz of downtown Hurghada
- Kids can enjoy their own kids' club and pool, whilst adults can play tennis, squash or beach volleyball
- Guests can unwind and enjoy the magnificent view from their private balcony
Relax at Naama Bay with pleasant grounds and wonderful amenities to keep you occupied
- Visitors flock to Pirates, for an eveing drink, before or after sampling some wonderful cuisine in the array of restaurants
- Prime spot in Naama bay, as it was one of the first hotels in the area. The grounds are well tended and mature, with colourful plants and shrubs throughout
- Guest accommodation is discrete, with low rise bungalows dotted throughout the beautiful garden setting. Rooms and suites are light and airy, are tastefully furnished and come with all modern amenities
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Luxor is one Egypt's most captivating cities, replete with historic monuments such as the ancient tombs of the Valley of...
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...