Britons among the new list of nationals to enjoy visa free travel to the Vietnam
Vietnam has approved a visa exemption policy for five European countries including Britain. Officials are hoping that the relaxed rules will encourage more holidaymakers from key European markets book holidays in Vietnam. Tensions with China, the largest source market for Vietnam, and a drop in arrivals from Russia have led to a decline in the number of foreign arrivals to Vietnam.
Vietnam has relaxed its visitor visa requirements for citizens of Britain, Germany, France, Italy and Spain making travel to the Southeast Asia destination hassle free for citizens of these countries.
Under the new rules, which took effect on the 1st July 2015, citizens of these five European countries will not be required to have a visitor's visa for trips up to a maximum of 15 days. Various stakeholders in Vietnam's tourism sector spoke out in favour of the decision.
Nguyen Van Tuan, Vietnam's director of tourism administration stated:
"The decision will delight the country's tourism sector and visitors from these countries". Hoang Le Quyen of PeaceTours in Ho Chi Minh City echoed Nguyen's positive sentiments stating, "this is very good news. It will definitely help bring foreign tourists to Vietnam."
Previously, visitors from nine countries in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, four Nordic countries, Russia, Belarus, Japan and South Korea benefitted from a reciprocal exemption. The expansion of the list of visa exempt countries comes as Vietnam looks to revive its flailing tourism industry.
Since mid 2014, Vietnam has been negatively affected by a decline in visitors from China following escalated tensions linked to a territorial dispute over the Paracel Islands. Additionally, arrivals from Russia have also plummeted since the last quarter of 2014 as a result of a devaluation of the Russian Ruble. According to recent statistics released by the General Statistics Office, the total number of foreign arrivals to Vietnam in H1 2015 dropped by 11.3 per cent when compared to the same period in 2014.
Vietnam is not the only country to extend its visa waiver programme to new markets in recent months. Indonesia utilised a similar strategy in June 2015 by extending visa exemptions to a list of countries including the US, Canada, China, Japan, Italy and Germany. Both Vietnam and Indonesia have recognised that while visa fees are source of income, the potential gains of increased arrivals are likely to be greater.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Vietnam Browse all
A fantastic value trip, exploring Vietnam's most iconic cities and natural wonders with added downtime to relax on the beach
- English-speaking guides and entrance fees included
- Extend your holiday with a break in Cambodia or on the beaches of Phu Quoc
- Day cruise on Halong Bay with lunch included
Witness the beauty of Vietnam for yourself with its awe-inspiring landscapes and fascinating history before rejuvenating on the beachfront on the idyllic island of Phu Quoc
- Try your hand at haggling in the vibrant Ben Thanh Market
- Watch the world go by as you cruise through the Mekong Delta
- Ideal beachfront break on the tropical island of Phu Quoc to finish
An in-depth exploration of Vietnam taking in Saigon, the Mekong Delta, Hoi An, Hue and Hanoi with time left over to relax on the beach
- Overnight cruise on a traditional Junk boat on Halong Bay with meals included
- Time to relax on the picturesque beaches of central Vietnam
- Local guides in each destination and entrance fees for all included sightseeing
Explore the most iconic sites of Indochina during the unforgettable Highlights of Indochina, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos - Deluxe Tour
You will visit historical sites of Vietnam, discover the heritage of Laos, and explore the beautiful Angkor Complex in Cambodia.
- Tour around Ben Tre River in Vietnam and enjoy a variety of activities, including a visit to any of coconut processing workshops and riding a motocart through rice fields and vegetable plains.
- Watch the sun rise over the blue waters of tranquil Halong Bay, and then cruise through emerald waters of the Gulf of Tonkin.
- Participate in Baci Ceremony, an integral part of the Laos culture, and explore the Luang Prabang Night Market with its handmade textiles and local street food
Exotic and compelling, Vietnam is one of the most remarkable travel destinations in the world. The Essential Vietnam...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches and the best preserved old towns in...
See all the most iconic sights of Indochina on this trip of a lifetime through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Explore the...
Discover some of the most amazing and iconic sights in the world on this simply stunning trip through Vietnam, Cambodia...