Britons among the new list of nationals to enjoy visa free travel to the Vietnam
Vietnam has approved a visa exemption policy for five European countries including Britain. Officials are hoping that the relaxed rules will encourage more holidaymakers from key European markets book holidays in Vietnam. Tensions with China, the largest source market for Vietnam, and a drop in arrivals from Russia have led to a decline in the number of foreign arrivals to Vietnam.
Vietnam has relaxed its visitor visa requirements for citizens of Britain, Germany, France, Italy and Spain making travel to the Southeast Asia destination hassle free for citizens of these countries.
Under the new rules, which took effect on the 1st July 2015, citizens of these five European countries will not be required to have a visitor's visa for trips up to a maximum of 15 days. Various stakeholders in Vietnam's tourism sector spoke out in favour of the decision.
Nguyen Van Tuan, Vietnam's director of tourism administration stated:
"The decision will delight the country's tourism sector and visitors from these countries". Hoang Le Quyen of PeaceTours in Ho Chi Minh City echoed Nguyen's positive sentiments stating, "this is very good news. It will definitely help bring foreign tourists to Vietnam."
Previously, visitors from nine countries in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, four Nordic countries, Russia, Belarus, Japan and South Korea benefitted from a reciprocal exemption. The expansion of the list of visa exempt countries comes as Vietnam looks to revive its flailing tourism industry.
Since mid 2014, Vietnam has been negatively affected by a decline in visitors from China following escalated tensions linked to a territorial dispute over the Paracel Islands. Additionally, arrivals from Russia have also plummeted since the last quarter of 2014 as a result of a devaluation of the Russian Ruble. According to recent statistics released by the General Statistics Office, the total number of foreign arrivals to Vietnam in H1 2015 dropped by 11.3 per cent when compared to the same period in 2014.
Vietnam is not the only country to extend its visa waiver programme to new markets in recent months. Indonesia utilised a similar strategy in June 2015 by extending visa exemptions to a list of countries including the US, Canada, China, Japan, Italy and Germany. Both Vietnam and Indonesia have recognised that while visa fees are source of income, the potential gains of increased arrivals are likely to be greater.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Vietnam Browse all
Feel at one with the surroundings at the beautiful Mango Bay Resort
- Mango Bay has been supporting wildlife at risk (WAR) since 2006, and has even discovered many new species on Phu Quoc Island
- Revitalise your mind, body and spirit with Yoga and Tai Chi on the beach
- Snorkel and scuba dive around the nearby islands with Flipper Diving Club and discover the truly stunning and beautiful world underwater
Combining exciting excursions and activities with the stunning heritage sites of central Vietnam, this trip has it all
Enjoy a beach side retreat with a variety of exciting activities that is also surrounded by three incredible UNESCO sites in the Da Nang area of Vietnam
- Stunning beachside accommodation with a modern Asian influence
- Golf courses designed by golfing legends and professionals a matter of minutes from the resort
- Resort activities including jet skiing, ocean kayaking, Tai Chi and many more
Experience the best of Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos on this once-in-a-lifetime adventure through Indochina
- Expert local guides in each country
- Breakfast included daily and three dinners
- Spend the night on Halong Bay on a traditional Junk boat with meals included
Explore the most iconic sites of Indochina during the unforgettable Highlights of Indochina, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos - Deluxe Tour
You will visit historical sites of Vietnam, discover the heritage of Laos, and explore the beautiful Angkor Complex in Cambodia.
- Tour around Ben Tre River in Vietnam and enjoy a variety of activities, including a visit to any of coconut processing workshops and riding a motocart through rice fields and vegetable plains.
- Watch the sun rise over the blue waters of tranquil Halong Bay, and then cruise through emerald waters of the Gulf of Tonkin.
- Participate in Baci Ceremony, an integral part of the Laos culture, and explore the Luang Prabang Night Market with its handmade textiles and local street food
Exotic and compelling, Vietnam is one of the most remarkable travel destinations in the world. Take in all the classics...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches and the best preserved old towns in...
An in-depth tour of Vietnam seeing everything that makes the country so marvellous from cruises on the Mekong Delta and...
See all the most iconic sights of Indochina on this trip of a lifetime through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Explore the...
The Merperle Sea Sun hotel is set in the heart of the picturesque seaside city, Nha Trang. Surrounded on all three...