Blue Mountains declared as first UNESCO World Heritage Site in Jamaica
The Blue and John Crow Mountains National Park in Jamaica have been declared as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The soaring majestic mountain range is the first UNESCO designated site in Jamaica and the first mixed (cultural and natural) listed site in the Caribbean, joining just 32 other mixed sites around the world.
The UNESCO World Heritage Committee has declared the Blue and John Crow Mountains as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
It is the first UNESCO listed site in Jamaica, and the first mixed (cultural and natural) designated site in the Caribbean, and one of just 32 mixed sites in the world.
The announcement was made at the 39th session of the World Heritage Committee Meeting that took place in Bonn, Germany this week.
Paul Pennicook, the Director of Tourism in Jamaica, explained:
"We are pleased to learn that the Blue and John Crow Mountains is now recognised as a World Heritage Site. It will enhance the appeal to visitors from around the world who travel for culture and heritage."
The newly designated UNESCO mixed site joins the landmarks such as the Taj Mahal, the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, and the Great Wall of China.
Addressing the World Heritage Committee, who made the unanimous decision, Jamaica's Minister of Youth and Culture, the Hon. Lisa Hanna, said:
"This has been quite a journey for us as a country. The experience has taught us many things, and among them, we have learnt to appreciate our distinctive natural and cultural heritage even more."
She also added:
"There is a natural mystic that belies who we are as a county and as a people. A small nation with unabashed resolve and courage giving to the world the King of Reggae Music Bob Marley, and the fastest Man and woman on land; Usain Bolt and Shelly Ann Frazer Pryce.
Our history, in particular, the struggles and defiance of our Maroon People helped to mould us into being distinctly Jamaican. To this end, we want the world to not only drink our Blue Mountain Coffee but also see the Outstanding Universal Value (OUV) of the Blue and John Crow Mountains, a site that the world can embrace as its own, exhibiting the natural and cultural values that will give an understanding of our 'Jamaicaness'."
Located in north east Jamaica, the Blue and John Crow Mountains National Park spans approximately 78 hectares of tropical land made up of steep slopes and lush rainforest, and a variety of wildlife species including the world's biggest butterfly, the Papilo Homerus, 200 species of birds, and 800 species of endemic plants.
Jamaica is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea, home to miles of pristine white sand beaches that are fringed with turquoise warm ocean waters, majestic mountains, cascading waterfalls, and lush rolling emerald green hills.
Tourists can explore the island's magnificent natural wonders such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, and lush botanical gardens.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Summer 2018 Sale now on, save £250 per person
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Located on Trelawny Bay and its beautiful beach
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- After booking a minimum of a 3 night stay, guests will receive a welcome bottle of sparkling wine & fresh fruit, one mimosa breakfast in bed to be booked upon arrival and romantic turndown service one night during stay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Holiday Inn Resort offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical gardens. The resort has a...
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...