Maldives Celebrates 50 years of Independence from UK with Golden Jubilee Cultural Festivities
This month, the Maldives will celebrate its 50th Anniversary of Independence and to mark the occasion, the country will be hosting series of events and festivities. Many hotels and resorts will be celebrating the Golden Jubilee by offering special promotions, discounts, excursions and parties for holidaymakers.
The Maldives will celebrate its 50th Anniversary of Independence this month with a series of events and festivities.
The Maldives was a British Protectorate in 1887 and was protected by Britain against colonial expansion for more than 70 years. The island nation gained full independence on 26th July, 1965, and hotels, restaurants, local businesses will mark the Golden Jubilee with discounts, tours, and promotions.
School children will parade down the streets and there will be public feasts and special menus in local restaurants to celebrate Independence Day.
On the capital island of Male, there will be a replica of an ancient Maldivian village that will have small palm-thatched houses, huts made of coconut palm trunks, and traditional rope swings, that will take guests on a journey back in time and into the Maldivian culture.
To honour the anniversary, the Sun Siyam Iru Fushi will be offering complimentary local island excursions throughout July to Velidhoo and Holhudhoo islands where holidaymakers can meet locals and visit fruit farms.
Centara Hotels and Resorts will be offering afternoon soirees at the Centara Grand Island Resort and Spa Maldives and the Centara Ras Fushi Resort and Spa Maldives where tourists will be joined by locals Maldivian residents who will provide an insight into life in the Maldives.
The Park Hyatt Maldives, Hadahaa will take guests on a "Journey to Culture, Craft and History" where they will explore an island with a guide and learn about the traditional way of life for locals in the Indian Ocean archipelago.
"During 2015, the Maldives will be celebrating its 50th Anniversary of Independence on 26th July with a number of major events including an ancient Maldivian village built on the island of Male."
Explained Mr Mohamed Adam, the Deputy Managing Director of Maldives Marketing and PR Corporation. He also commented:
"Having already welcomed an increase in visitor arrivals from the UK, including an eight per cent increase in UK tourists during the first three months of 2015, we look forward to welcoming even more visitors from the UK during this exciting time and showcasing our cultural heritage."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
Kick back and relax with plenty on offer to help you along the way at Reethi Beach Resort.
- Only 15% of the island is built upon, with lush vegetation, natural shorelines and stunning landscapes making up the rest
- The Water Sports Centre has all types of water sport covered whilst the Sports Centre on land covers tennis, badminton, squash, gym and table tennis
- Enjoy two fantastic excursions per person per week to Kam Adhoo and Kihadhoo and a Sunset Dhoni Cruise on selected dates
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....