Maldives Celebrates 50 years of Independence from UK with Golden Jubilee Cultural Festivities
This month, the Maldives will celebrate its 50th Anniversary of Independence and to mark the occasion, the country will be hosting series of events and festivities. Many hotels and resorts will be celebrating the Golden Jubilee by offering special promotions, discounts, excursions and parties for holidaymakers.
The Maldives will celebrate its 50th Anniversary of Independence this month with a series of events and festivities.
The Maldives was a British Protectorate in 1887 and was protected by Britain against colonial expansion for more than 70 years. The island nation gained full independence on 26th July, 1965, and hotels, restaurants, local businesses will mark the Golden Jubilee with discounts, tours, and promotions.
School children will parade down the streets and there will be public feasts and special menus in local restaurants to celebrate Independence Day.
On the capital island of Male, there will be a replica of an ancient Maldivian village that will have small palm-thatched houses, huts made of coconut palm trunks, and traditional rope swings, that will take guests on a journey back in time and into the Maldivian culture.
To honour the anniversary, the Sun Siyam Iru Fushi will be offering complimentary local island excursions throughout July to Velidhoo and Holhudhoo islands where holidaymakers can meet locals and visit fruit farms.
Centara Hotels and Resorts will be offering afternoon soirees at the Centara Grand Island Resort and Spa Maldives and the Centara Ras Fushi Resort and Spa Maldives where tourists will be joined by locals Maldivian residents who will provide an insight into life in the Maldives.
The Park Hyatt Maldives, Hadahaa will take guests on a "Journey to Culture, Craft and History" where they will explore an island with a guide and learn about the traditional way of life for locals in the Indian Ocean archipelago.
"During 2015, the Maldives will be celebrating its 50th Anniversary of Independence on 26th July with a number of major events including an ancient Maldivian village built on the island of Male."
Explained Mr Mohamed Adam, the Deputy Managing Director of Maldives Marketing and PR Corporation. He also commented:
"Having already welcomed an increase in visitor arrivals from the UK, including an eight per cent increase in UK tourists during the first three months of 2015, we look forward to welcoming even more visitors from the UK during this exciting time and showcasing our cultural heritage."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity.
- exclusive rate reduction for our clients
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Relax and unwind on Paradise Island before picking up the pace in glamorous Dubai enjoy the Duty free shopping
- Take a dip in the turquoise lagoon or the onsite pool, go snorkelling and windsurfing or opt for land sports recreation
- Your Dubai abode sits close to the Mall of the Emirates and a short ride to the famous Jumeirah Beach
- Paradise Island accommodation are Bungalows with direct access to the beach or Water Bungalows with private sun terrace
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
True Maldivian style comes to the fore at Reethi Beach Resort, situated on the tiny Baa Atoll. The PADI 5-star Dive...
Get away from the mundane and enjoy eight days of uninterrupted sun and sand on the shores of one of the most sought...