Maldives Celebrates 50 years of Independence from UK with Golden Jubilee Cultural Festivities
This month, the Maldives will celebrate its 50th Anniversary of Independence and to mark the occasion, the country will be hosting series of events and festivities. Many hotels and resorts will be celebrating the Golden Jubilee by offering special promotions, discounts, excursions and parties for holidaymakers.
The Maldives will celebrate its 50th Anniversary of Independence this month with a series of events and festivities.
The Maldives was a British Protectorate in 1887 and was protected by Britain against colonial expansion for more than 70 years. The island nation gained full independence on 26th July, 1965, and hotels, restaurants, local businesses will mark the Golden Jubilee with discounts, tours, and promotions.
School children will parade down the streets and there will be public feasts and special menus in local restaurants to celebrate Independence Day.
On the capital island of Male, there will be a replica of an ancient Maldivian village that will have small palm-thatched houses, huts made of coconut palm trunks, and traditional rope swings, that will take guests on a journey back in time and into the Maldivian culture.
To honour the anniversary, the Sun Siyam Iru Fushi will be offering complimentary local island excursions throughout July to Velidhoo and Holhudhoo islands where holidaymakers can meet locals and visit fruit farms.
Centara Hotels and Resorts will be offering afternoon soirees at the Centara Grand Island Resort and Spa Maldives and the Centara Ras Fushi Resort and Spa Maldives where tourists will be joined by locals Maldivian residents who will provide an insight into life in the Maldives.
The Park Hyatt Maldives, Hadahaa will take guests on a "Journey to Culture, Craft and History" where they will explore an island with a guide and learn about the traditional way of life for locals in the Indian Ocean archipelago.
"During 2015, the Maldives will be celebrating its 50th Anniversary of Independence on 26th July with a number of major events including an ancient Maldivian village built on the island of Male."
Explained Mr Mohamed Adam, the Deputy Managing Director of Maldives Marketing and PR Corporation. He also commented:
"Having already welcomed an increase in visitor arrivals from the UK, including an eight per cent increase in UK tourists during the first three months of 2015, we look forward to welcoming even more visitors from the UK during this exciting time and showcasing our cultural heritage."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
Peace, relaxation and luxury come as standard in this amazing Indian Ocean getaway
- Benifit from water bungalows that allow unfettered access to the ocean waters also featuring private sun decks
- The Main Restaurants’ theme nights highlight cuisines from around the world ranging from Asian to Western fare
- Easy acces to capital city of Male, where you can extend your experience of the Maldives
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Bask in the crystal waters of the Indian Ocean with this stunning Maldivian hideaway
- Explore the local reef with an expert guide
- Experience the true Maldivian way of life with a local family
- Indulge your senses with serene tranquillity at the Spa
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...