Embassies to open in Cuba and Washington as agreement made to resume diplomatic relations
The President of the United States Barack Obama has announced that an agreement has been finalised to restore diplomatic relations between the U.S and Cuba. The two countries have agreed to open embassies in Havana and Washington on 20th July, 2015, following more than five decades of hostilities and a travel embargo.
U.S President Barack Obama has announced that an agreement has been made to restore diplomatic relations between Cuba and the United States.
Following more than five decades of hostilities and a travel embargo, the two countries have agreed to open embassies in Washington in the United States and Havana in Cuba on 20th July, 2015.
Speaking to the press at the White House last week, Obama said:
"I strongly believe that the best way for America to support our values is through engagement."
Obama made an announcement last December that the two countries would begin resuming relations and leaders have spent the last few months negotiating the re-establishment of embassies.
In 1961, the United States cut off diplomatic relations with Cuba following Fidel Castro's revolution. The years that followed saw an economic embargo imposed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower.
The recent changes to the U.S-Cuba relations will have a significant impact on the tourism industry in Cuba, with many Americans planning to travel to the Caribbean island in the near future, many for the first ever time.
General tourism and sun holidays to Cuba are still restricted but U.S travellers can travel to the island through people to people programmes and trips in 12 categories organised by tour operators and charter companies in the U.S.
Cuba is a beautiful island nation located in the Caribbean Sea, east of Mexico and south of the United States. The communist country is rich in political history and boasts some of the world's most magnificent natural landscapes such as white sand beaches, turquoise lagoons, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Some of the island's most popular tourist destinations include the country's historic capital city, Havana; the stunning Jardines del Rey archipelago which boasts virgin cays and turquoise ocean waters and coral reefs; the Spanish Colonial city of Trinidad; and the popular beach resort of Varadero with 21 kilometres of coastline and white sandy beaches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...