Embassies to open in Cuba and Washington as agreement made to resume diplomatic relations
The President of the United States Barack Obama has announced that an agreement has been finalised to restore diplomatic relations between the U.S and Cuba. The two countries have agreed to open embassies in Havana and Washington on 20th July, 2015, following more than five decades of hostilities and a travel embargo.
U.S President Barack Obama has announced that an agreement has been made to restore diplomatic relations between Cuba and the United States.
Following more than five decades of hostilities and a travel embargo, the two countries have agreed to open embassies in Washington in the United States and Havana in Cuba on 20th July, 2015.
Speaking to the press at the White House last week, Obama said:
"I strongly believe that the best way for America to support our values is through engagement."
Obama made an announcement last December that the two countries would begin resuming relations and leaders have spent the last few months negotiating the re-establishment of embassies.
In 1961, the United States cut off diplomatic relations with Cuba following Fidel Castro's revolution. The years that followed saw an economic embargo imposed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower.
The recent changes to the U.S-Cuba relations will have a significant impact on the tourism industry in Cuba, with many Americans planning to travel to the Caribbean island in the near future, many for the first ever time.
General tourism and sun holidays to Cuba are still restricted but U.S travellers can travel to the island through people to people programmes and trips in 12 categories organised by tour operators and charter companies in the U.S.
Cuba is a beautiful island nation located in the Caribbean Sea, east of Mexico and south of the United States. The communist country is rich in political history and boasts some of the world's most magnificent natural landscapes such as white sand beaches, turquoise lagoons, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Some of the island's most popular tourist destinations include the country's historic capital city, Havana; the stunning Jardines del Rey archipelago which boasts virgin cays and turquoise ocean waters and coral reefs; the Spanish Colonial city of Trinidad; and the popular beach resort of Varadero with 21 kilometres of coastline and white sandy beaches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...