Development of two major casino resort projects in Jamaica approved by Cabinet
The Cabinet in Jamaica has approved the development of two new major casino resort projects cost approximately $1.3 billion. The developers, Harmony Cove Limited and Celebration Jamaica Development Limited, will start construction by next year and will offer up to 2,000 guest rooms each. The resort projects will create 5,000 new jobs.
Two new major casino resort development projects have been approved by the Cabinet in Jamaica.
Costing approximately $1.3 billion, the Jamaica resorts will be developed by Harmony Cove Limited, who is expected to spend US$970 million in the first phase, and Celebration Jamaica Development Limited, with spending of US$500 million in its first phase.
Dr Peter Phillips, Jamaica's Finance Minister, explained:
"We confidently expect that this will lead to a strengthening of the tourism industry's competitiveness and the bolstering of economic development through job creation, increased tax revenue and additional demand for locally produced goods and services.
"Each of these projects, under the terms of the Order, will be required to start construction by the middle of next year, and to ultimately construct 2,000 hotel rooms each."
Harmony Cove first phase will see the development of at least 1,000 hotel rooms, restaurants and shops. Once completed the luxury resort, which is located in Trelawny, will have hotels, entertainment centres, a casino, golf courses, a luxury spa, a convention centre, and marine facilities.
Celebration Jamaica Development Limited's casino resort will be built in Montego Bay on the north coast of Jamaica, and will have 2,000 hotel rooms, an artisan village, a 75,000-square-foot Casino and Sports Book complex, and a Caribbean World Music Entertainment Complex.
The construction of the two luxury casino resorts, the first of their kind in Jamaica, will start by the middle of 2016. The project will also create 5,100 jobs.
Jamaica is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea, boasting pristine white sand beaches fringed with warm azure ocean waters, soaring mountains, cascading waterfalls, and lush undulating emerald green hills.
Popular tourist attractions and sights include spectacular natural wonders such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, the lush botanical gardens, and the majestic Blue Mountains.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- All Inclusive Resort with all meals and beverages included
- Family Friendly Hotel where up to 2 Kids can stay and play for free
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- July Special offers now in place with savings until 2019
- Unlimited-Fun® All Inclusive Resort with a selection of dining options for all the family
- On-site Waterpark featuring a Pirate ship, a lazy river and two waterslides
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Summer 2018 Sale now extended, save £250 per person
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Discreet luxury at your beck and call under Jamaican sunshine with everything you love, with virtually no limits
Let the most romantic of retreats seduce you and a loved one into a sheer state atof bliss when you stay at Couples Sans Souci.
- Summer Savings with incredible discounts of up to 42% for travel up until 2019
- Includes unlimited premium alcoholic beverages, 24 hour casual to gourmet dining, complimentary airport transfers and more
- Exclusive offsite excursions come included in the package including Dunn's River Falls and Margaritaville
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...