Vietnam excited to implement planned tours to Spratly Islands
Vietnam is on the verge of offering regular tours to the hotly disputed Truong Sa (Spratly) Islands. The local government is currently undertaking a feasibility study to explore whether they should proceed with the plans, however industry insiders and stakeholders are confident that soon travellers will be able to book tours of the Truong Sa Islands. Truong Sa is currently the subject of a territorial dispute between Vietnam and China.
Vietnam's HO Chi Minh City (Saigon) is inching closer to the completion of a government ordered feasibility study on the implementation of regular tours to Truong Sa Islands also known as Spratly Islands.
As part of the feasibility study, the Department of Tourism in Ho Chi Minh City has prepared a pilot tour of the islands for a group of 60 Ho Chi Minh City travel executives in order to inform the process of putting together official tour packages in the future.
Currently, the Spratly Islands, which have been the subject of a territorial dispute between Vietnam and China, are largely inaccessible to holidaymakers. Should Vietnam decide to proceed with offering regular tours to the contested archipelago, it would a major step towards affirming its sovereignty over the territory.
Despite the tensions with China, local travel executives, tourism officials and the public at large are all excited at the prospect of regular tours to the islands with over 200 people already registering their interest with the Department of Tourism to visit Truong Sa.
"The Truong Sa tour will surely be a success as Vietnamese beaches are very beautiful."
Stated Tran Xuan Hung, director of Viking Travel Co. The deputy head of the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism (VNAT) Ha Van Sieu was also upbeat explaining:
"I really appreciate the idea of organising tours to Truong Sa and believe it will soon be realised. Truong Sa, as part of Vietnam's sovereignty, is an attractive destination."
Currently there is much speculation about the cost of a 7-10 day tour to Truong Sa Islands, experts are estimating that prices could range between $18,333 USD and $2,292 USD per person.
Like many countries in Southeast Asia, tourism is a key asset for Vietnam. In 2014, the tourism sector contributed 4.6 per cent to Vietnam's GDP and generated 1.96 million jobs.
The total number of arrivals in 2014 increased by four per cent year-on-year to 7.87 million travellers, however, this growth was down by 10.6% when compared to 2013. Much of the decline has been owed to fewer arrivals from China on the back of tensions linked to the on-going territorial dispute over the Paracel and Spratly Islands.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Vietnam Browse all
Feel at one with the surroundings at the beautiful Mango Bay Resort
- Mango Bay has been supporting wildlife at risk (WAR) since 2006, and has even discovered many new species on Phu Quoc Island
- Revitalise your mind, body and spirit with Yoga and Tai Chi on the beach
- Snorkel and scuba dive around the nearby islands with Flipper Diving Club and discover the truly stunning and beautiful world underwater
Combining exciting excursions and activities with the stunning heritage sites of central Vietnam, this trip has it all
Enjoy a beach side retreat with a variety of exciting activities that is also surrounded by three incredible UNESCO sites in the Da Nang area of Vietnam
- Stunning beachside accommodation with a modern Asian influence
- Golf courses designed by golfing legends and professionals a matter of minutes from the resort
- Resort activities including jet skiing, ocean kayaking, Tai Chi and many more
Experience the best of Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos on this once-in-a-lifetime adventure through Indochina
- Expert local guides in each country
- Breakfast included daily and three dinners
- Spend the night on Halong Bay on a traditional Junk boat with meals included
Explore the most iconic sites of Indochina during the unforgettable Highlights of Indochina, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos - Deluxe Tour
You will visit historical sites of Vietnam, discover the heritage of Laos, and explore the beautiful Angkor Complex in Cambodia.
- Tour around Ben Tre River in Vietnam and enjoy a variety of activities, including a visit to any of coconut processing workshops and riding a motocart through rice fields and vegetable plains.
- Watch the sun rise over the blue waters of tranquil Halong Bay, and then cruise through emerald waters of the Gulf of Tonkin.
- Participate in Baci Ceremony, an integral part of the Laos culture, and explore the Luang Prabang Night Market with its handmade textiles and local street food
Exotic and compelling, Vietnam is one of the most remarkable travel destinations in the world. Take in all the classics...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches and the best preserved old towns in...
An in-depth tour of Vietnam seeing everything that makes the country so marvellous from cruises on the Mekong Delta and...
See all the most iconic sights of Indochina on this trip of a lifetime through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Explore the...
The Merperle Sea Sun hotel is set in the heart of the picturesque seaside city, Nha Trang. Surrounded on all three...