Marriot International keen to expand into Cuba if laws evolve
In a recent interview, the President of Marriott International, Arne Sorenson, says that Cuba is high on his wish list for the company's expansion. The businessman said that he is keen to find a way to enter the Cuban tourism market but will have to wait to see how the laws of the United States evolve.
Marriott International's President Arne Sorenson says that he would love to expand the company's portfolio into Cuba.
In a recent interview with LinkedIn, Sorenson said that Cuba is high on his wish list for the company that operates hotels in 80 countries across the world.
She explained her view and position related to Cuba saying:
"I would love to be in Cuba and we will go as fast as we can find a way to do it. The laws of the United States have not evolved enough to let us enter into Cuba in the traditional way we develop hotels.
"So we'll have to see how this evolves. But for the American traveller Cuba is clearly a curiosity."
Marriott International operates more than 3,600 hotels and resorts across 80 countries in Europe, America, Asia Pacific, the Middle East and Africa, under brands including Marriott Hotels and Resorts, JW Marriott Hotels and Resorts, Renaissance Hotels, Ritz-Carlton, BULGARI Hotels and Resorts, Autograph Hotels and Resorts, and Edition Hotels.
U.S President Obama's announcement last year that Cuba travel restrictions will be eased for American residents after changes to a travel embargo that lasted more than 50 years.
While general tourism has not yet been approved as a reason to visit Cuba, American residents can visit the island for educational, religious, academic and cultural and family purposes across 12 categories, and licences for these trips are no longer required.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist nation is rich in culture, heritage and history, and is home to beautiful white and golden sand beaches, virgin cays, an array of mid-range and luxury hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Some of the island's most popular tourist destinations include the country's historic capital city, Havana, the stunning Jardines del Rey archipelago, the Spanish Colonial city of Trinidad, and the beach resort of Varadero with 21 kilometres of coastline and white sandy beaches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...