Marriot International keen to expand into Cuba if laws evolve
In a recent interview, the President of Marriott International, Arne Sorenson, says that Cuba is high on his wish list for the company's expansion. The businessman said that he is keen to find a way to enter the Cuban tourism market but will have to wait to see how the laws of the United States evolve.
Marriott International's President Arne Sorenson says that he would love to expand the company's portfolio into Cuba.
In a recent interview with LinkedIn, Sorenson said that Cuba is high on his wish list for the company that operates hotels in 80 countries across the world.
She explained her view and position related to Cuba saying:
"I would love to be in Cuba and we will go as fast as we can find a way to do it. The laws of the United States have not evolved enough to let us enter into Cuba in the traditional way we develop hotels.
"So we'll have to see how this evolves. But for the American traveller Cuba is clearly a curiosity."
Marriott International operates more than 3,600 hotels and resorts across 80 countries in Europe, America, Asia Pacific, the Middle East and Africa, under brands including Marriott Hotels and Resorts, JW Marriott Hotels and Resorts, Renaissance Hotels, Ritz-Carlton, BULGARI Hotels and Resorts, Autograph Hotels and Resorts, and Edition Hotels.
U.S President Obama's announcement last year that Cuba travel restrictions will be eased for American residents after changes to a travel embargo that lasted more than 50 years.
While general tourism has not yet been approved as a reason to visit Cuba, American residents can visit the island for educational, religious, academic and cultural and family purposes across 12 categories, and licences for these trips are no longer required.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist nation is rich in culture, heritage and history, and is home to beautiful white and golden sand beaches, virgin cays, an array of mid-range and luxury hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Some of the island's most popular tourist destinations include the country's historic capital city, Havana, the stunning Jardines del Rey archipelago, the Spanish Colonial city of Trinidad, and the beach resort of Varadero with 21 kilometres of coastline and white sandy beaches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...