Jamaica's beaches to get makeover in $2.2 million project
Several beaches in Jamaica are to undergo a facelift after the government announced a $2.2 million project to provide new leisure facilities and services at public beaches. Beaches in 14 parishes including Montego Bay, Negril, Trelawny, St. Elizabeth and St. Ann will be equipped with new children's play areas, picnic seating, changing rooms, toilets, and car parks.
Jamaica's beaches will be given a makeover, after the government announced a $2.2 million project to improve the facilities and services on the island's coastline.
The National Beach Development Programme is sponsored by the government's Tourism Enhancement Fund, and will improve beaches in 14 parishes in Jamaica, including Montego Bay, Negril, Trelawny, St. Elizabeth and St. Ann.
Several beaches will be equipped with new picnic seating, tables, children's play areas, toilets, changing rooms, gazebos, car parks, and lifeguard towers.
"We want to make these as natural as possible so it does not take away from the beach and tropical feel."
Explained Clyde Harrison, the executive director of the Tourism Enhancement Fund. He added that football and beach volleyball courts are also planned at some beaches.
Work is already underway at Boston Beach in Portland, Norman Manley Beach in Negril and Providence Park Beach in Montego Bay.
The refurbishments are expected to be completed by December 2015 and are designed to be self-sustaining with many water and beach activities available at a cost to visitors to cover the operational expenses.
Jamaica is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea, home to miles of pristine white sand beaches that are fringed with turquoise warm ocean waters, majestic mountains, cascading waterfalls, and lush rolling emerald green hills.
Tourists can explore the island's magnificent natural wonders such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, lush botanical gardens, and the soaring Blue Mountains.
Popular destinations on the island include Montego Bay, a city located on the north coast of the tropical island in the Caribbean. Tourists can enjoy pristine beaches, luxury all inclusive beachfront hotels and resorts, sparkling azure lagoons, bustling craft markets, boutique shops in the town centre, and an array of historic sites and attractions.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- All Inclusive Resort with all meals and beverages included
- Family Friendly Hotel where up to 2 Kids can stay and play for free
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility and Unlimited All Inclusive
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, introductory scuba lessons & more
Discreet luxury at your beck and call under Jamaican sunshine with everything you love, with virtually no limits
Let the most romantic of retreats seduce you and a loved one into a sheer state atof bliss when you stay at Couples Sans Souci.
- Summer Savings with incredible discounts of up to 42% for travel up until 2019
- Includes unlimited premium alcoholic beverages, 24 hour casual to gourmet dining, complimentary airport transfers and more
- Exclusive offsite excursions come included in the package including Dunn's River Falls and Margaritaville
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...