Jamaica's beaches to get makeover in $2.2 million project
Several beaches in Jamaica are to undergo a facelift after the government announced a $2.2 million project to provide new leisure facilities and services at public beaches. Beaches in 14 parishes including Montego Bay, Negril, Trelawny, St. Elizabeth and St. Ann will be equipped with new children's play areas, picnic seating, changing rooms, toilets, and car parks.
Jamaica's beaches will be given a makeover, after the government announced a $2.2 million project to improve the facilities and services on the island's coastline.
The National Beach Development Programme is sponsored by the government's Tourism Enhancement Fund, and will improve beaches in 14 parishes in Jamaica, including Montego Bay, Negril, Trelawny, St. Elizabeth and St. Ann.
Several beaches will be equipped with new picnic seating, tables, children's play areas, toilets, changing rooms, gazebos, car parks, and lifeguard towers.
"We want to make these as natural as possible so it does not take away from the beach and tropical feel."
Explained Clyde Harrison, the executive director of the Tourism Enhancement Fund. He added that football and beach volleyball courts are also planned at some beaches.
Work is already underway at Boston Beach in Portland, Norman Manley Beach in Negril and Providence Park Beach in Montego Bay.
The refurbishments are expected to be completed by December 2015 and are designed to be self-sustaining with many water and beach activities available at a cost to visitors to cover the operational expenses.
Jamaica is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea, home to miles of pristine white sand beaches that are fringed with turquoise warm ocean waters, majestic mountains, cascading waterfalls, and lush rolling emerald green hills.
Tourists can explore the island's magnificent natural wonders such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, lush botanical gardens, and the soaring Blue Mountains.
Popular destinations on the island include Montego Bay, a city located on the north coast of the tropical island in the Caribbean. Tourists can enjoy pristine beaches, luxury all inclusive beachfront hotels and resorts, sparkling azure lagoons, bustling craft markets, boutique shops in the town centre, and an array of historic sites and attractions.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Metro Offer: Book and Save upto £100 per person!
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled upon a stunning beach The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to the entertainment and activities...
Located in New Kingston, the Knutsford Court Hotel offers a laidback atmosphere within a beautiful tropical setting....