Jamaica's beaches to get makeover in $2.2 million project
Several beaches in Jamaica are to undergo a facelift after the government announced a $2.2 million project to provide new leisure facilities and services at public beaches. Beaches in 14 parishes including Montego Bay, Negril, Trelawny, St. Elizabeth and St. Ann will be equipped with new children's play areas, picnic seating, changing rooms, toilets, and car parks.
Jamaica's beaches will be given a makeover, after the government announced a $2.2 million project to improve the facilities and services on the island's coastline.
The National Beach Development Programme is sponsored by the government's Tourism Enhancement Fund, and will improve beaches in 14 parishes in Jamaica, including Montego Bay, Negril, Trelawny, St. Elizabeth and St. Ann.
Several beaches will be equipped with new picnic seating, tables, children's play areas, toilets, changing rooms, gazebos, car parks, and lifeguard towers.
"We want to make these as natural as possible so it does not take away from the beach and tropical feel."
Explained Clyde Harrison, the executive director of the Tourism Enhancement Fund. He added that football and beach volleyball courts are also planned at some beaches.
Work is already underway at Boston Beach in Portland, Norman Manley Beach in Negril and Providence Park Beach in Montego Bay.
The refurbishments are expected to be completed by December 2015 and are designed to be self-sustaining with many water and beach activities available at a cost to visitors to cover the operational expenses.
Jamaica is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea, home to miles of pristine white sand beaches that are fringed with turquoise warm ocean waters, majestic mountains, cascading waterfalls, and lush rolling emerald green hills.
Tourists can explore the island's magnificent natural wonders such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, lush botanical gardens, and the soaring Blue Mountains.
Popular destinations on the island include Montego Bay, a city located on the north coast of the tropical island in the Caribbean. Tourists can enjoy pristine beaches, luxury all inclusive beachfront hotels and resorts, sparkling azure lagoons, bustling craft markets, boutique shops in the town centre, and an array of historic sites and attractions.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Summer 2018 Sale now on, save £250 per person
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Discover Unlimited-Fun® with warm Jamaican hospitality in Montego Bay with a complimentary upgrade and resort coupons
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Book and receive an upgrade to the next available room category plus $200 resort coupons per room
- Pirate's Paradise Waterpark on-site featuring a pirate ship and two waterslides
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Holiday Inn Resort offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical gardens. The resort has a...
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...