Costa Rica - One of the most eco-friendly destinations in the world
Costa Rica has recently been named the world's greenest holiday destination by the World Travel Guide. Such an accolade is par for the course for the Central American country with its eco friendly initiatives often far more ambitious than those of other destinations including being the first country to ban hunting and its ambition to become carbon neutral by 2021.
Costa Rica is widely recognized as one of the first destinations in Central America, if not the world, to develop and commercialize its eco-tourism product.
Today ecotourism generates a substantial portion of Costa Rica's tourism revenue thanks to its 124 national parks, nature reserves and wildlife refuges which together account for a quarter of Costa Rica's land mass. In 2014 alone over 2.5 million travellers booked holidays in Costa Rica generating a remarkable $2.6 billion in revenue.
Key government initiatives have helped to place Costa Rica among the top eco-friendly destinations in the world. Most recently, Costa Rica ranked number one in the World Travel Guide's list of "The 20 greenest holiday destinations on Earth".
Helping Costa Rica to earn the top spot on the World Travel Guide's list was the state owned Costa Rican Electricity Institute (ICE) recent announcement that it had produced 100 per cent of the nation's electricity with renewable sources for the first 75 days of 2015.
The announcement was a major milestone for Costa Rica as it works towards a goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2021. Other notable initiatives over the years include an official ban on shark finning and a unanimous vote to ban hunting in Costa Rica - making it the first country to pass such legislation.
Alonso Villalobos, a political scientist at the University of Costa Rica explained part of the reason than such environmental initiatives have succeeded in Costa Rica stating:
"Costa Ricans think of themselves as "people who are in very good relation with the environment" and in that way, we have made a lot of progress. We have a stronger environmental consciousness".
Part of what makes Costa Rica's story so captivating is the fact that in the years between 1950 and 1970, Costa Rica was one a much different path with excessive deforestation reducing forest coverage to only 30 per cent- this was the wake up call Costa Rica needed according to current Minister for Environment and Energy Edgar Gutierrez. The Central American nation has not looked back since then with the System of National Parks developed in 1974, he explained:
"The objective is to generate income from our biodiversity. Also a process of regulatory changes have been put in place to guarantee Costa Rica will continue in this way".
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco-tourist's dream destination
- Experience canopy walkways through a bridge system and marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- Explore San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Learn more about Costa Rica with the unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
Surrounding the resort is an up-and-coming surf community, which offers guests with a variety of exciting tours and excursions
- Explorer's Club for kids and Core Zone for teens, while adults can relax by the poolside, enjoy a romantic dinner by the beach or unwind at Dreams Spa by Pevonia
- Perfect location to enjoy nature at its finest, a country renowned for its beaches, volcanoes, and biodiversity
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury; gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more all included
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...