American travellers visiting Cuba increases by 36 percent from January to May
The recent changes to the U.S-Cuba embargo have led to a 36 per cent increase in visits by Americans to Cuba over the past 5 months. The rise is in the number of Americans with no family ties to the Caribbean island, many of whom have been travelling to the country via Mexico to avoid the tourism restrictions.
Statistics provided by a professor from University of Havana to Associated Press have revealed that the number of Americans visiting Cuba have increased by 36 per cent over recent months.
The numbers show that between January and May this year, more Americans with no family ties to Cuba have been visiting the island, with many entering via Mexico to avoid the U.S tourism restrictions.
Jose Luis Perello Cabrera from the university provided figures that showed that between 1st January and 9th May, 2015, 51,458 Americans visited Cuba, compared to 37,459 during the same period in 2014.
A total of 38,476 visitors flew directly to the island from the U.S and another 12,982 Americans visited via third countries such as Mexico, the Bahamas, the Cayman Islands, and Jamaica.
David Perez from New York travelled to Cuba last month through Cancun. He commented:
"I had just always wanted to go to Cuba and I decided now was the time."
General tourism, sun and beach holidays to Cuba are still restricted but U.S travellers can travel to the island through "people to people" programmes organised by tour operators and charter companies in the U.S. Tessie Aral from ABC Charters, explained:
"The person calling us needs to tell me, ‘I'm going in support of the Cuban people, or professional research, or a family visit,' or any one of the 12 allowed categories. After that, all they do is sign a certification."
While general tourism is banned, many travellers are still finding loopholes in travelling to Cuba by saying that they are visiting for cultural purposes and there is almost no active enforcement of this ban under the Obama administration.
Cuba has recorded a 14 per cent rise in arrivals from tourists from all around the world between January and early May, compared to the same period in 2014.
Cuba is a beautiful island nation located in the Caribbean Sea, east of Mexico and south of the United States. The communist country is rich in political history and boasts some of the world's most magnificent natural landscapes such as white sand beaches, turquoise lagoons, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...