American travellers visiting Cuba increases by 36 percent from January to May
The recent changes to the U.S-Cuba embargo have led to a 36 per cent increase in visits by Americans to Cuba over the past 5 months. The rise is in the number of Americans with no family ties to the Caribbean island, many of whom have been travelling to the country via Mexico to avoid the tourism restrictions.
Statistics provided by a professor from University of Havana to Associated Press have revealed that the number of Americans visiting Cuba have increased by 36 per cent over recent months.
The numbers show that between January and May this year, more Americans with no family ties to Cuba have been visiting the island, with many entering via Mexico to avoid the U.S tourism restrictions.
Jose Luis Perello Cabrera from the university provided figures that showed that between 1st January and 9th May, 2015, 51,458 Americans visited Cuba, compared to 37,459 during the same period in 2014.
A total of 38,476 visitors flew directly to the island from the U.S and another 12,982 Americans visited via third countries such as Mexico, the Bahamas, the Cayman Islands, and Jamaica.
David Perez from New York travelled to Cuba last month through Cancun. He commented:
"I had just always wanted to go to Cuba and I decided now was the time."
General tourism, sun and beach holidays to Cuba are still restricted but U.S travellers can travel to the island through "people to people" programmes organised by tour operators and charter companies in the U.S. Tessie Aral from ABC Charters, explained:
"The person calling us needs to tell me, ‘I'm going in support of the Cuban people, or professional research, or a family visit,' or any one of the 12 allowed categories. After that, all they do is sign a certification."
While general tourism is banned, many travellers are still finding loopholes in travelling to Cuba by saying that they are visiting for cultural purposes and there is almost no active enforcement of this ban under the Obama administration.
Cuba has recorded a 14 per cent rise in arrivals from tourists from all around the world between January and early May, compared to the same period in 2014.
Cuba is a beautiful island nation located in the Caribbean Sea, east of Mexico and south of the United States. The communist country is rich in political history and boasts some of the world's most magnificent natural landscapes such as white sand beaches, turquoise lagoons, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...