American travellers visiting Cuba increases by 36 percent from January to May
The recent changes to the U.S-Cuba embargo have led to a 36 per cent increase in visits by Americans to Cuba over the past 5 months. The rise is in the number of Americans with no family ties to the Caribbean island, many of whom have been travelling to the country via Mexico to avoid the tourism restrictions.
Statistics provided by a professor from University of Havana to Associated Press have revealed that the number of Americans visiting Cuba have increased by 36 per cent over recent months.
The numbers show that between January and May this year, more Americans with no family ties to Cuba have been visiting the island, with many entering via Mexico to avoid the U.S tourism restrictions.
Jose Luis Perello Cabrera from the university provided figures that showed that between 1st January and 9th May, 2015, 51,458 Americans visited Cuba, compared to 37,459 during the same period in 2014.
A total of 38,476 visitors flew directly to the island from the U.S and another 12,982 Americans visited via third countries such as Mexico, the Bahamas, the Cayman Islands, and Jamaica.
David Perez from New York travelled to Cuba last month through Cancun. He commented:
"I had just always wanted to go to Cuba and I decided now was the time."
General tourism, sun and beach holidays to Cuba are still restricted but U.S travellers can travel to the island through "people to people" programmes organised by tour operators and charter companies in the U.S. Tessie Aral from ABC Charters, explained:
"The person calling us needs to tell me, ‘I'm going in support of the Cuban people, or professional research, or a family visit,' or any one of the 12 allowed categories. After that, all they do is sign a certification."
While general tourism is banned, many travellers are still finding loopholes in travelling to Cuba by saying that they are visiting for cultural purposes and there is almost no active enforcement of this ban under the Obama administration.
Cuba has recorded a 14 per cent rise in arrivals from tourists from all around the world between January and early May, compared to the same period in 2014.
Cuba is a beautiful island nation located in the Caribbean Sea, east of Mexico and south of the United States. The communist country is rich in political history and boasts some of the world's most magnificent natural landscapes such as white sand beaches, turquoise lagoons, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...