Cuba's city of Trinidad now offers public WiFi service as part of government scheme
The town of Trinidad in central Cuba now offers public wireless internet s part of a government plan to set up WiFi hotspots across the country for the first time. The public WiFi in Trinidad has been set up in a downtown park by the state telecoms company Etecsa and plans are underway to set up more spots across the island in the near future.
Cuba’s south-eastern city of Trinidad now offers public wireless internet thanks to a new government scheme to set up WiFi hotspots across the island.
The plan comes after years of Internet restriction in Cuba but now the government is keen to connect people in popular tourist areas such as Trinidad.
The WiFi in Trinidad has been set up in a downtown park by the state’s telecoms company, ETECSA, and plans are underway to set up the service in Sancti Spiritus before the end of May.
Public WiFi was launched in Trinidad last month by ETECSA, and shortly before the local artist Alexis Leyva (Kcho) had turned his internet connection at home in Havana into a public WiFi hotspot.
The government in Cuba heavily restricts home Internet connections while the fees in state-run public Internet cafes are overly expensive for locals and visitors alike.
ETECSA announced earlier this year that it plans to double the number of Internet cafes to 300 by the end of the year, and also launch many more new WiFi hot spots across the Caribbean island.
Trinidad is a town in the Sancti Spiritus province and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The immaculately preserved Spanish colonial settlement is known as Cuba’s number one open-air museum and is home to cobbled streets, red roofed houses, and colonial-style mansions. It's highly popular among tourists and one of the most visited places in the island.
Popular tourist destinations in Cuba include the country’s historic capital city, Havana, the stunning Jardines del Rey archipelago, the Spanish Colonial city of Trinidad, and the beach resort of Varadero with 21 kilometres of coastline and white sandy beaches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...