Cuba's city of Trinidad now offers public WiFi service as part of government scheme
The town of Trinidad in central Cuba now offers public wireless internet s part of a government plan to set up WiFi hotspots across the country for the first time. The public WiFi in Trinidad has been set up in a downtown park by the state telecoms company Etecsa and plans are underway to set up more spots across the island in the near future.
Cuba’s south-eastern city of Trinidad now offers public wireless internet thanks to a new government scheme to set up WiFi hotspots across the island.
The plan comes after years of Internet restriction in Cuba but now the government is keen to connect people in popular tourist areas such as Trinidad.
The WiFi in Trinidad has been set up in a downtown park by the state’s telecoms company, ETECSA, and plans are underway to set up the service in Sancti Spiritus before the end of May.
Public WiFi was launched in Trinidad last month by ETECSA, and shortly before the local artist Alexis Leyva (Kcho) had turned his internet connection at home in Havana into a public WiFi hotspot.
The government in Cuba heavily restricts home Internet connections while the fees in state-run public Internet cafes are overly expensive for locals and visitors alike.
ETECSA announced earlier this year that it plans to double the number of Internet cafes to 300 by the end of the year, and also launch many more new WiFi hot spots across the Caribbean island.
Trinidad is a town in the Sancti Spiritus province and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The immaculately preserved Spanish colonial settlement is known as Cuba’s number one open-air museum and is home to cobbled streets, red roofed houses, and colonial-style mansions. It's highly popular among tourists and one of the most visited places in the island.
Popular tourist destinations in Cuba include the country’s historic capital city, Havana, the stunning Jardines del Rey archipelago, the Spanish Colonial city of Trinidad, and the beach resort of Varadero with 21 kilometres of coastline and white sandy beaches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...