Cuba's city of Trinidad now offers public WiFi service as part of government scheme
The town of Trinidad in central Cuba now offers public wireless internet s part of a government plan to set up WiFi hotspots across the country for the first time. The public WiFi in Trinidad has been set up in a downtown park by the state telecoms company Etecsa and plans are underway to set up more spots across the island in the near future.
Cuba’s south-eastern city of Trinidad now offers public wireless internet thanks to a new government scheme to set up WiFi hotspots across the island.
The plan comes after years of Internet restriction in Cuba but now the government is keen to connect people in popular tourist areas such as Trinidad.
The WiFi in Trinidad has been set up in a downtown park by the state’s telecoms company, ETECSA, and plans are underway to set up the service in Sancti Spiritus before the end of May.
Public WiFi was launched in Trinidad last month by ETECSA, and shortly before the local artist Alexis Leyva (Kcho) had turned his internet connection at home in Havana into a public WiFi hotspot.
The government in Cuba heavily restricts home Internet connections while the fees in state-run public Internet cafes are overly expensive for locals and visitors alike.
ETECSA announced earlier this year that it plans to double the number of Internet cafes to 300 by the end of the year, and also launch many more new WiFi hot spots across the Caribbean island.
Trinidad is a town in the Sancti Spiritus province and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The immaculately preserved Spanish colonial settlement is known as Cuba’s number one open-air museum and is home to cobbled streets, red roofed houses, and colonial-style mansions. It's highly popular among tourists and one of the most visited places in the island.
Popular tourist destinations in Cuba include the country’s historic capital city, Havana, the stunning Jardines del Rey archipelago, the Spanish Colonial city of Trinidad, and the beach resort of Varadero with 21 kilometres of coastline and white sandy beaches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...