Cuba's city of Trinidad now offers public WiFi service as part of government scheme
The town of Trinidad in central Cuba now offers public wireless internet s part of a government plan to set up WiFi hotspots across the country for the first time. The public WiFi in Trinidad has been set up in a downtown park by the state telecoms company Etecsa and plans are underway to set up more spots across the island in the near future.
Cuba’s south-eastern city of Trinidad now offers public wireless internet thanks to a new government scheme to set up WiFi hotspots across the island.
The plan comes after years of Internet restriction in Cuba but now the government is keen to connect people in popular tourist areas such as Trinidad.
The WiFi in Trinidad has been set up in a downtown park by the state’s telecoms company, ETECSA, and plans are underway to set up the service in Sancti Spiritus before the end of May.
Public WiFi was launched in Trinidad last month by ETECSA, and shortly before the local artist Alexis Leyva (Kcho) had turned his internet connection at home in Havana into a public WiFi hotspot.
The government in Cuba heavily restricts home Internet connections while the fees in state-run public Internet cafes are overly expensive for locals and visitors alike.
ETECSA announced earlier this year that it plans to double the number of Internet cafes to 300 by the end of the year, and also launch many more new WiFi hot spots across the Caribbean island.
Trinidad is a town in the Sancti Spiritus province and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The immaculately preserved Spanish colonial settlement is known as Cuba’s number one open-air museum and is home to cobbled streets, red roofed houses, and colonial-style mansions. It's highly popular among tourists and one of the most visited places in the island.
Popular tourist destinations in Cuba include the country’s historic capital city, Havana, the stunning Jardines del Rey archipelago, the Spanish Colonial city of Trinidad, and the beach resort of Varadero with 21 kilometres of coastline and white sandy beaches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...