French President becomes the first Western leader to visit Cuba in over a century
Just hours ago, French President Francois Hollande made history by touching down in Havana and becoming the first leader in the Western world to visit Cuba in more than a century. As part of his tour through the Caribbean, Mr Hollande is scheduled to meet up with Raul Castro and strengthen ties between the two nations, thus cementing France's lead in the EU rapprochement with Cuba after the thawing of relations between the communist island and the U.S.
With the re-establishment of diplomatic ties between Cuba and the U.S. spelling a brighter economic outlook for the island, the recent visit of French President, Francoise Hollande, marks a historic moment in which he became the first high-profile leader of the Western world to set foot in the country in decades, and the first French president to do so in over a hundred years.
Mr Hollande himself said of the much anticipated visit:
" After what Obama’s decision regarding the relationship between Cuba and the US, France along with Europe wants to be by their side during this process. With France, Cuba can have a faithful ally,"
During his time in Cuba the French President is scheduled to meet Cuban President Mr Raul Castro, as well as the head of Cuba's Roman Catholic Church, Cardinal Jaime Ortega and the Cuban branch of the Alliance Francaise, which promotes French culture and the French language abroad.
Bringing in a team of five ministers and 24 executives from top French companies including Air France, rum distiller Pernod Ricard (Cuba's partner in exporting Havana Club rum), grain exporter Soufflet and hotelier ACCOR, the visit will help strengthen existing trade links and promote new business between French-based companies and Cuba.
His official visits might include a trip to see Cuba's former President, Fidel Castro, who's already a generally well-regarded and esteemed figure in France and whose ideals can relate to Hollande's Socialist Party.
Despite the world-famous, decades-long feud between the U.S. and Cuba (which now seems to be coming to a very gradual, slow end) France had always maintained friendly relations with Cuba, being one of the largest holders of Cuban debt in fact.
Some of the companies that accompanied Mr Hollander and who are now in the island, already have well-established operations in Cuba and now look to expand their businesses. This is the case for ACCOR and Air France, the largest contributors to the Cuba holidays industry from the French tourism market.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...