French President becomes the first Western leader to visit Cuba in over a century
Just hours ago, French President Francois Hollande made history by touching down in Havana and becoming the first leader in the Western world to visit Cuba in more than a century. As part of his tour through the Caribbean, Mr Hollande is scheduled to meet up with Raul Castro and strengthen ties between the two nations, thus cementing France's lead in the EU rapprochement with Cuba after the thawing of relations between the communist island and the U.S.
With the re-establishment of diplomatic ties between Cuba and the U.S. spelling a brighter economic outlook for the island, the recent visit of French President, Francoise Hollande, marks a historic moment in which he became the first high-profile leader of the Western world to set foot in the country in decades, and the first French president to do so in over a hundred years.
Mr Hollande himself said of the much anticipated visit:
" After what Obama’s decision regarding the relationship between Cuba and the US, France along with Europe wants to be by their side during this process. With France, Cuba can have a faithful ally,"
During his time in Cuba the French President is scheduled to meet Cuban President Mr Raul Castro, as well as the head of Cuba's Roman Catholic Church, Cardinal Jaime Ortega and the Cuban branch of the Alliance Francaise, which promotes French culture and the French language abroad.
Bringing in a team of five ministers and 24 executives from top French companies including Air France, rum distiller Pernod Ricard (Cuba's partner in exporting Havana Club rum), grain exporter Soufflet and hotelier ACCOR, the visit will help strengthen existing trade links and promote new business between French-based companies and Cuba.
His official visits might include a trip to see Cuba's former President, Fidel Castro, who's already a generally well-regarded and esteemed figure in France and whose ideals can relate to Hollande's Socialist Party.
Despite the world-famous, decades-long feud between the U.S. and Cuba (which now seems to be coming to a very gradual, slow end) France had always maintained friendly relations with Cuba, being one of the largest holders of Cuban debt in fact.
Some of the companies that accompanied Mr Hollander and who are now in the island, already have well-established operations in Cuba and now look to expand their businesses. This is the case for ACCOR and Air France, the largest contributors to the Cuba holidays industry from the French tourism market.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...