Goa's offshore casinos here to stay
Despite initial promises that it would rid the Mandovi river of the offshore casinos docked there, Goa's BJP- led coalition has done a 180 stating that it would not want to send the wrong message to the industry and chase away investors. The decision is likely to be welcomed not only by investors but also by the holidaymakers who visit Goa each year to enjoy its buzzing nightlife.
Each year, hundreds of thousands of holidaymakers book holidays in Goa, eager to try their luck in one of the five offshore casinos docked in the Mandovi River offPanajii. Despite their popularity, the future of these offshore casinos, which have become landmarks for the capital, was up in the air not too long ago as the BJP-led coalition government, in their 2012 poll manifesto, promised to rid the river of the casinos. However, since coming into power, officials are now singing a different tune as they note the importance of the casinos to the economy.
Of the change in his government’s sentiment towards the casino industry, Goa’s Chief Minister Laxmikant Pasekar stated,
" I just cannot unilaterally send them (offshore casinos) home. There are laws of the land…I do not want to send a wrong signal to the industry as well. A person who invests here, or intends investing, needs to have faith in the government."
In addition to the offshore casinos, there are nearly a dozen onshore casinos that operate out of luxury resorts in Goa and together the industry generates near $20 million each year. The booming casino industry is also likely a key contributing factor to Goa’s reputation as the destination with the best nightlife in India. Recent reports suggest that the five offshore casinos in question are to be shifted upstream and some are even speculating that operating licenses would be granted to five additional casinos, though these will likely be onshore casinos.
The number of holidaymakers travelling to Goa has been on the rise in recent years, increasing by 12 per cent since the BJP-led coalition took office in 2012. Arrivals in 2014 were up by nine per cent, when compared to the previous year. However, as a result of fewer arrivals from Russia, this was down from the 14 per cent recorded in 2013. The upward trend observed in arrivals is expected to continue with Goa’s Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar predicting that arrivals would increase to 10 million by 2017, doubling the five million visitors Goa currently welcomes each year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Goa Browse all
Get the best of both worlds: relax on the beach or take part in one of the many activities on offer.
- The resort has a great location next to a white sandy beach while still being in close proximity to the shopping district
- Relax in or by the large swimming pool where you can catch a sight of some exotic birds when they come to migrate
- The resort has a large range of facilities and activities with something for everyone
Enjoy the warm Goan hospitality in a hotel that offers a wide range of activities with something for everyone
- There is something to suit everyone's tastes with Indian, Chinese, Continental and traditional Goan cuisine to chose from
- Spoil yourself in the hotel Health Club and enjoy ultimate relaxation while enjoying one of the many treatments on offer
- Relax in an amazing location where you can choose between two beautiful beaches both within close proximity
Explore Goa from the perfect setting of a palm-fringed coastline on the exclusive Vainguinim Beach.
- With a superb range of facilities, this resort suits couples and families alike and offers an ideal Indian holiday
- Goa's colonial past is evident in the stylish Portuguese decor and design, the resort resembles a charming Portuguese village
- The resort offers 4 excellent restaurants, 3 a la carte and a continental buffet and often host nightly entertainment during dinner
Ideal for any type of guest looking for a memorable and relaxing Indian holiday on a tranquil beach
- Spoil your mind, body and soul with all the beauty massages at Maya Spa
- Keep up to date with all the latest news wherever you are within the hotel with complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel
- Indulge in the many activities and facilities on offer including a casino, swimming pool and an activities centre with video games and a pool table
Discover the Portuguese charm of Goa while you enjoy a relaxing 8-day stay at the Cidade de Goa hotel in India where bed...
Ideally located on the shore of the longest beach, The Zuri White Sands, Goa Resort and Casino is perfect for those...
Enjoy a holiday at the Leela Kempinski Hotel located along the Mobor Beach in Goa, India. It is a unique combination of...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
Discover new and exciting ways to spend your free time when you holiday at the Club Mahindra Hotel in Goa. It is a...