Trio of well-known luxury hotels set to open in Egypt
FRHI Hotels & Resorts, which owns the Fairmont, SwissÃ´tel and Raffles hotel brands, is continuing its expansion in Egypt despite the region's recent troubles. Alongside a trio of resorts in the Red Sea city of Sharm el Sheikh, the company will also open a Fairmont hotel in Hurghada and a SwissÃ´tel in Cairo.
The Raffles, Fairmont and Swissôtel hotel brands have announced plans for expansion across Egypt with a combined total of five new properties set to open over the next five years. In a show of confidence in the ability of the Egyptian tourism industry to bounce back, FRHI Hotels & Resorts, which owns all three brands, will open luxury hotels in the Red Sea resorts of Sharm el Sheikh and Hurghada, as well as a new property in the capital of Cairo.
In the Sinai Peninsula resort of Sharm el Sheikh, the luxury hotel developer will build a tri-brand complex featuring the Fairmont, Raffles and Swissôtel properties spread over a huge stretch of coastline fronted by miles of desert and coralline sand beaches. The development includes the largest lagoon swimming pool in the world, acknowledged by Guinness World Records. This vast crystal-blue oasis surrounded by the desert will be a focal point for recreation, swimming and water sports. For golf fans, an 18-hole Colin Montgomerie golf course will be part of the resort.
FRHI Hotels & Resorts also plans to open a Fairmont hotel in Soma Bay, just south of Hurghada, before 2020. The exclusive resort in Soma Bay will have panoramic views spanning the desert, mountains and Red Sea, with the region’s best diving and kite-surfing facilities right on its doorstep. The hotel will be part of a mixed-use development that includes 300 guestrooms and suites, 150 Fairmont branded residences, an all-day dining room, lobby lounge and bar, beach eatery, specialty restaurant and a wellness centre and spa.
The new Swissôtel property in Cairo’s Katameyah district will similarly open before 2020 under the FRHI umbrella. Referred to as the “New Cairo”, Katameyah is a prominent and up-and-coming residential, commercial and lifestyle development with an oasis of greenery in the midst of the desert. The area already includes an upscale retail and entertainment centre, luxury residential towers and a health and wellness centre. The Swissôtel will feature 250 guestrooms, a wide variety of restaurants and lounges, including a specialty restaurant, urban café and lobby lounge, plus the signature Pürovel Spa & Sport, inspired by the Alpine seasons.
FRHI's senior vice president of operations in the Middle East, Africa and India, Sami Nasser, further explained the company's expansion plans;
"The two new signings, as well as the Sharm el Sheikh project, complement our three existing Fairmont hotels in Cairo, which are all prominent landmarks in the city,”
“This increased development activity reinforces our commitment to the destination and our envisioned potential of the market."
Fairmont currently operates several properties in Egypt, including Fairmont Nile City, Fairmont Towers, Heliopolis and Fairmont Heliopolis in Cairo. Its parent company’s distinctive portfolio includes Raffles Singapore and The Savoy in London.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Enjoy a memorable and romantic holiday in Egypt
- Benefit from the Sonesta Star Goddess Spa and enjoy a relaxing massage after a busy day of excursions
- Suites made for your comfortable stay with the best view
- Enjoy the swimming pool or relax on the sun deck where you can have a cocktail
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
Luxor is one Egypt's most captivating cities, replete with historic monuments such as the ancient tombs of the Valley of...