Trio of well-known luxury hotels set to open in Egypt
FRHI Hotels & Resorts, which owns the Fairmont, SwissÃ´tel and Raffles hotel brands, is continuing its expansion in Egypt despite the region's recent troubles. Alongside a trio of resorts in the Red Sea city of Sharm el Sheikh, the company will also open a Fairmont hotel in Hurghada and a SwissÃ´tel in Cairo.
The Raffles, Fairmont and Swissôtel hotel brands have announced plans for expansion across Egypt with a combined total of five new properties set to open over the next five years. In a show of confidence in the ability of the Egyptian tourism industry to bounce back, FRHI Hotels & Resorts, which owns all three brands, will open luxury hotels in the Red Sea resorts of Sharm el Sheikh and Hurghada, as well as a new property in the capital of Cairo.
In the Sinai Peninsula resort of Sharm el Sheikh, the luxury hotel developer will build a tri-brand complex featuring the Fairmont, Raffles and Swissôtel properties spread over a huge stretch of coastline fronted by miles of desert and coralline sand beaches. The development includes the largest lagoon swimming pool in the world, acknowledged by Guinness World Records. This vast crystal-blue oasis surrounded by the desert will be a focal point for recreation, swimming and water sports. For golf fans, an 18-hole Colin Montgomerie golf course will be part of the resort.
FRHI Hotels & Resorts also plans to open a Fairmont hotel in Soma Bay, just south of Hurghada, before 2020. The exclusive resort in Soma Bay will have panoramic views spanning the desert, mountains and Red Sea, with the region’s best diving and kite-surfing facilities right on its doorstep. The hotel will be part of a mixed-use development that includes 300 guestrooms and suites, 150 Fairmont branded residences, an all-day dining room, lobby lounge and bar, beach eatery, specialty restaurant and a wellness centre and spa.
The new Swissôtel property in Cairo’s Katameyah district will similarly open before 2020 under the FRHI umbrella. Referred to as the “New Cairo”, Katameyah is a prominent and up-and-coming residential, commercial and lifestyle development with an oasis of greenery in the midst of the desert. The area already includes an upscale retail and entertainment centre, luxury residential towers and a health and wellness centre. The Swissôtel will feature 250 guestrooms, a wide variety of restaurants and lounges, including a specialty restaurant, urban café and lobby lounge, plus the signature Pürovel Spa & Sport, inspired by the Alpine seasons.
FRHI's senior vice president of operations in the Middle East, Africa and India, Sami Nasser, further explained the company's expansion plans;
"The two new signings, as well as the Sharm el Sheikh project, complement our three existing Fairmont hotels in Cairo, which are all prominent landmarks in the city,”
“This increased development activity reinforces our commitment to the destination and our envisioned potential of the market."
Fairmont currently operates several properties in Egypt, including Fairmont Nile City, Fairmont Towers, Heliopolis and Fairmont Heliopolis in Cairo. Its parent company’s distinctive portfolio includes Raffles Singapore and The Savoy in London.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Guests can enjoy a treatment in the spa, explore the area on horseback, or enjoy a round of golf.
- A historic hotel with a rich and colourful history, the Mena house is surrounded by 40 acres of gardens, just 700 metres from the Pyramids
- One of the few hotels in Cairo to offer a golf course
- Relax in the Sultan bar with a cocktail in hand, whilst looking out to the pyramids or enjoy informal dining in the Oasis, a poolside restaurant
Enjoy a fun-filled stay on King's Island in the Nile River, with plenty of activities on offer at the hotel as well as being only a 10 minute drive away from Luxor downtown
- Cocktails, beverages and light meals are served in the lounge and drinks on deck until sun set
- Great selection of bars and restaurants, with everything from buffet to fine French cuisine, plus the Fellah Tent provides an overview of Oriental traditions
- Leisure facilities include two large swimming pools with waterfalls, separate children's pool and an adults only pool, plus floodlit tennis courts, a jogging track, fishing, an air conditioned gym and more!
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonder, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise from £199pp
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise
The perfect escape for couples with exclusive added values not to be missed
- Enjoy a number of complimentary added value offers - must be booked by 15th January 2018
- Free room upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Suite
- Free Romantic Dinner for 2 plus a bottle of wine on Arrival
- Free upgrade to private transfers
Discover Egypt's beautiful capital as you take a 15-day holiday at the amazing Sofitel El Gezirah hotel. Set on a small...
Make the Egyptian city of Luxor your home for eight days as you discover the timeless treasures that make this country...
Start your holiday at Le Méridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Spoil yourself with an amazing historic holiday in the region of the Great Pyramids of Giza. Since 1869, the Mena House...