Cuba sees 15 per cent increase in visitors in the first quarter of 2015
Cuba's Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero revealed that the number of tourists visiting the island in the first quarter of 2015 increased by 15 per cent compared to the same period last year. Speaking at the 7th International Gourmet Festival of Varadero last month, Marrero called on the country's tourism industry to strive for excellence over the coming months.
The number of holidaymakers visiting the communist island of Cuba has risen by 15 per cent in the first quarter of 2015, compared to the same period last year.
The Tourism Minister of Cuba Manuel Marrero spoke at the opening of the 7th International Gourmet Festival of Varadero last month and while he did not disclose figures, he said the numbers “have been magnificent".
The minister called on Cuba’s tourism industry to strive for excellence, following the recent changes in the travel embargo between Cuba and the United States.
Last December, U.S President Obama announced that the two countries will resume diplomatic ties, bringing an end to an embargo that lasted more than five decades.
The day after the announcement, the leading travel website TripAdvisor reported an interest in Cuba travel increased by nearly 300 per cent in one day.
Tourism and sun and beach holidays have not yet been approved as a reason to visit Cuba, but American residents can visit the Caribbean island for educational, religious, academic and cultural and family purposes across 12 categories.
Last year, Cuba received over 3 million visitor arrivals, and this is expected to increase significantly when Washington lifts the restrictions and many Americans prepare to travel to the Caribbean island for the first time.
Cuba is an island nation in the Caribbean Sea that boasts a myriad of beautiful landscapes and sites for international visitors to enjoy, such as miles of pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, historic towns and cities, ancient ruins, thriving national parks, breathtaking natural scenery, and a tropical climate.
Popular tourist destinations include, Havana, the country’s bustling capital; Varadero, the beach resort town with 21 km of coastline and beaches; and Jardines del Rey, a popular spot for scuba diving and snorkelling thanks to crystal-clear turquoise waters that are thriving with spectacular marine species and coral reefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...