Cuba sees 15 per cent increase in visitors in the first quarter of 2015
Cuba's Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero revealed that the number of tourists visiting the island in the first quarter of 2015 increased by 15 per cent compared to the same period last year. Speaking at the 7th International Gourmet Festival of Varadero last month, Marrero called on the country's tourism industry to strive for excellence over the coming months.
The number of holidaymakers visiting the communist island of Cuba has risen by 15 per cent in the first quarter of 2015, compared to the same period last year.
The Tourism Minister of Cuba Manuel Marrero spoke at the opening of the 7th International Gourmet Festival of Varadero last month and while he did not disclose figures, he said the numbers “have been magnificent".
The minister called on Cuba’s tourism industry to strive for excellence, following the recent changes in the travel embargo between Cuba and the United States.
Last December, U.S President Obama announced that the two countries will resume diplomatic ties, bringing an end to an embargo that lasted more than five decades.
The day after the announcement, the leading travel website TripAdvisor reported an interest in Cuba travel increased by nearly 300 per cent in one day.
Tourism and sun and beach holidays have not yet been approved as a reason to visit Cuba, but American residents can visit the Caribbean island for educational, religious, academic and cultural and family purposes across 12 categories.
Last year, Cuba received over 3 million visitor arrivals, and this is expected to increase significantly when Washington lifts the restrictions and many Americans prepare to travel to the Caribbean island for the first time.
Cuba is an island nation in the Caribbean Sea that boasts a myriad of beautiful landscapes and sites for international visitors to enjoy, such as miles of pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, historic towns and cities, ancient ruins, thriving national parks, breathtaking natural scenery, and a tropical climate.
Popular tourist destinations include, Havana, the country’s bustling capital; Varadero, the beach resort town with 21 km of coastline and beaches; and Jardines del Rey, a popular spot for scuba diving and snorkelling thanks to crystal-clear turquoise waters that are thriving with spectacular marine species and coral reefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic Varadero City Tour
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Capri's rooftop swimming pool
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a fantastic Havana City Tour
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...