Cuba sees 15 per cent increase in visitors in the first quarter of 2015
Cuba's Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero revealed that the number of tourists visiting the island in the first quarter of 2015 increased by 15 per cent compared to the same period last year. Speaking at the 7th International Gourmet Festival of Varadero last month, Marrero called on the country's tourism industry to strive for excellence over the coming months.
The number of holidaymakers visiting the communist island of Cuba has risen by 15 per cent in the first quarter of 2015, compared to the same period last year.
The Tourism Minister of Cuba Manuel Marrero spoke at the opening of the 7th International Gourmet Festival of Varadero last month and while he did not disclose figures, he said the numbers “have been magnificent".
The minister called on Cuba’s tourism industry to strive for excellence, following the recent changes in the travel embargo between Cuba and the United States.
Last December, U.S President Obama announced that the two countries will resume diplomatic ties, bringing an end to an embargo that lasted more than five decades.
The day after the announcement, the leading travel website TripAdvisor reported an interest in Cuba travel increased by nearly 300 per cent in one day.
Tourism and sun and beach holidays have not yet been approved as a reason to visit Cuba, but American residents can visit the Caribbean island for educational, religious, academic and cultural and family purposes across 12 categories.
Last year, Cuba received over 3 million visitor arrivals, and this is expected to increase significantly when Washington lifts the restrictions and many Americans prepare to travel to the Caribbean island for the first time.
Cuba is an island nation in the Caribbean Sea that boasts a myriad of beautiful landscapes and sites for international visitors to enjoy, such as miles of pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, historic towns and cities, ancient ruins, thriving national parks, breathtaking natural scenery, and a tropical climate.
Popular tourist destinations include, Havana, the country’s bustling capital; Varadero, the beach resort town with 21 km of coastline and beaches; and Jardines del Rey, a popular spot for scuba diving and snorkelling thanks to crystal-clear turquoise waters that are thriving with spectacular marine species and coral reefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...