NBA legends open basketball training camp in Cuba
Basketball legends Dikembe Mutombo and Steve Nash opened a basketball training camp in Cuba last week. The four-day camp started last Thursday at Havana University and featured former WNBA player Ticha Penicheiro and NBA coaches who taught more than 100 athletes in a bid to boost the game's population on the Caribbean island.
Basketball players Dikembe Mutombo and Steve Nash opened a basketball training camp at Havana University last week in a bid to boost the game's population.
The four-day camp started last Thursday in the capital of Cuba and the two basketball legends were joined by former WNBA player Ticha Penicheiro and NBA coaches who helped coach more than 100 athletes.
Mutumbo, a Congolese American retired professional basketball player who played 18 seasons in the NBA, explained:
"As you know, basketball is a sport that can connect people, give them a bridge for cultural change.
"I'm glad that we're about to build this bridge that will help so many young men and women here in Cuba to develop the game of basketball."
The NBA is the first professional sport league from the United States to visit Cuba since the Obama administration announced that travel restrictions to Cuba would be relaxed. Basketball is the fourth most-popular sport on the Caribbean communist island after baseball, boxing and football, and the country's women's teams are leaders in the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) games played in Latin America.
Despite the travel restrictions for Cubans for the past 60 years, the game of basketball is very popular on the island and many local residents play on street courts. As part of the four-day training camp, the NBA and FIBA plan to renovate three basket courts. Mutumbo also commented:
"Our job is to expand our game globally. It's a very historical trip."
Felipe Chavez, a 16-year-old player from Havana, watched every move played by the professional players and said it was:
"... a great opportunity to develop, to work on technique and the mental aspect of the game. I'd like to get to the top level of my sport and that's the NBA."
The Cuban players are hoping to be chosen for an NBA and FIBA training camp called "Basketball without Borders" that will be held in the Dominican Republic in the near future.
President Obama's announced late last year that Cuba travel restrictions will be eased for American residents after a travel embargo lasting more than 60 years was relaxed.
While general tourism has not yet been approved as a reason to visit Cuba, American residents can now visit the Caribbean island for educational, religious, academic and cultural, family and sports purposes across 12 categories.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...