Six fantastic scuba diving destinations in Cuba
As the largest island in the Caribbean and with 3,600 miles of shoreline, Cuba is becoming an increasingly popular scuba diving destination. Home to some of the western hemisphere's healthiest coral reefs, divers can enjoy an array of thriving diving sites, from the Jardines de la Reina archipelago to Cayo Largo.
With 3,600 miles of relatively untouched coastline, it’s no wonder Cuba is home to some of the western hemisphere’s healthiest coral reefs.
The largest island in the Caribbean is fast becoming a popular scuba diving destination and it boasts an array of spectacular diving sites.
Jardines de la Reina (Gardens of the Queen)
Named by Christopher Columbus after Queen Isabella of Spain, this archipelago is situated off the southern coast of Cuba and spans an area of 840 square miles. Home to 600 cays and mangrove islands, the region’s ocean waters are full of turtles, whale sharks, stingrays, and reef sharks, making Jardines de la Reina scuba diving heaven.
Diving and fishing in the reserve is limited every year and the area can only be accessed by boat which makes is a tranquil spot for the lucky few.
Bahia de Cochinos (Bay of Pigs)
The Bay of Pigs is one of the best shore diving locations in Cuba and divers can explore the steep wall that drops 450 metres off a few minutes swim from the beach of Playas Larga and Giron.
Black coral, elkhorn, staghorn corals, and sponges can be found in the holes and cracks of the cliff face and onshore, divers can explore saltwater cenotes and limestone caverns.
Situated on Cuba’s south coast, this island is the second-largest in the Canarreos archipelago after the Isla de Juventud and it is home to dozens of diving sites where visitors can enjoy visibility of up to 100 feet.
Wrecks of more than 200 ships that sank between the 16th and 18th centuries can be found in the emerald green waters, and there are plenty of underwater caves, tunnels and cliffs teeming with vibrant coral and hundreds of tropical species of reef fish.
El Colony is located off the Isla de Juventud and boasts about 56 diving sites in the Punta Frances national marine park. Home to coves and caves, the area is known as Pirate Coast and while the sunken shipwrecks might not have any gold, there is plenty of treasure to be found in the form of parrotfish, angelfish, hamlets, and neon tube and basket sponges.
Maria la Gorda
Located on the western tip of Cuba in the Pinar del Rio province, Maria la Gorda is a hotspot for nesting turtles in May and June and whale sharks during August and September. Divers will feel as if they are swimming off the edge of land due to the shallow shelf that slopes away from the beach and then dropping thousands of feet. Marine species include manta rays, barracuda, huge sponges, and black coral.
Marea del Portillo
Marea del Portillo sits on the south coast near Manzanillo and is home to a myriad of Spanish galleons, English schooners and ships that sand between the 17th and 19th centuries. One of the most renowned shipwrecks is El Real, a 36-cannon galleon, and Cristobal Colon, a Spanish battleship.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view - limited availability
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...