Six fantastic scuba diving destinations in Cuba
As the largest island in the Caribbean and with 3,600 miles of shoreline, Cuba is becoming an increasingly popular scuba diving destination. Home to some of the western hemisphere's healthiest coral reefs, divers can enjoy an array of thriving diving sites, from the Jardines de la Reina archipelago to Cayo Largo.
With 3,600 miles of relatively untouched coastline, it’s no wonder Cuba is home to some of the western hemisphere’s healthiest coral reefs.
The largest island in the Caribbean is fast becoming a popular scuba diving destination and it boasts an array of spectacular diving sites.
Jardines de la Reina (Gardens of the Queen)
Named by Christopher Columbus after Queen Isabella of Spain, this archipelago is situated off the southern coast of Cuba and spans an area of 840 square miles. Home to 600 cays and mangrove islands, the region’s ocean waters are full of turtles, whale sharks, stingrays, and reef sharks, making Jardines de la Reina scuba diving heaven.
Diving and fishing in the reserve is limited every year and the area can only be accessed by boat which makes is a tranquil spot for the lucky few.
Bahia de Cochinos (Bay of Pigs)
The Bay of Pigs is one of the best shore diving locations in Cuba and divers can explore the steep wall that drops 450 metres off a few minutes swim from the beach of Playas Larga and Giron.
Black coral, elkhorn, staghorn corals, and sponges can be found in the holes and cracks of the cliff face and onshore, divers can explore saltwater cenotes and limestone caverns.
Situated on Cuba’s south coast, this island is the second-largest in the Canarreos archipelago after the Isla de Juventud and it is home to dozens of diving sites where visitors can enjoy visibility of up to 100 feet.
Wrecks of more than 200 ships that sank between the 16th and 18th centuries can be found in the emerald green waters, and there are plenty of underwater caves, tunnels and cliffs teeming with vibrant coral and hundreds of tropical species of reef fish.
El Colony is located off the Isla de Juventud and boasts about 56 diving sites in the Punta Frances national marine park. Home to coves and caves, the area is known as Pirate Coast and while the sunken shipwrecks might not have any gold, there is plenty of treasure to be found in the form of parrotfish, angelfish, hamlets, and neon tube and basket sponges.
Maria la Gorda
Located on the western tip of Cuba in the Pinar del Rio province, Maria la Gorda is a hotspot for nesting turtles in May and June and whale sharks during August and September. Divers will feel as if they are swimming off the edge of land due to the shallow shelf that slopes away from the beach and then dropping thousands of feet. Marine species include manta rays, barracuda, huge sponges, and black coral.
Marea del Portillo
Marea del Portillo sits on the south coast near Manzanillo and is home to a myriad of Spanish galleons, English schooners and ships that sand between the 17th and 19th centuries. One of the most renowned shipwrecks is El Real, a 36-cannon galleon, and Cristobal Colon, a Spanish battleship.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...